PDA

View Full Version : Want to split AVI files

Neil McC
14-12-2006, 05:23 PM
from a 3 hour VHS tape,in half to write to DVD for friends. No editing.Tried a few video splitters off the net but they all produce worse looking files when viewed on Power DVD.
Any suggestions? Reason I want to split them to one and a half hours long is that Procoder will nicely encode them to fit on a DVD at that size.

heni72847
14-12-2006, 10:35 PM
look up virtualdub or virtualdubmod
you can make a selection and save the part you want seperatly

visit www.doom9.org or www.videohelp.com if you're feeling lost

Metla
14-12-2006, 11:31 PM
The problem with that is that recode it not only takes hours but will compress the file as it does it, Losing quality (as mentioned in the initial post)

Your best bet is to see if your DVD authoring app lets you assign a start(mark in) and stop pont (mark out) on your source file.

Wait a sec,Procoder is marketed as a Professional encoder, are you just encoding to mpeg and burning as data rather then authoring a media DVD? Either way Procoder will spank VirtualDub and by rights just about any other app you can find (heh, $1000nzd)

Neil McC
15-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Thanks Metla and heni72847.Have had a fiddle with VirtualDub and it's easy to split the file with that,at least a 1Gb one so far, now to try a 20Gb.
The usual size of my camcorder video 8 tapes come out as one and a half hours long. (Very confusing when I've run the tape on the 1 hour setting!!) Tried to save the whole tape to a DVD through Video Studio 10 without any editing, just to get my many tapes on DVD,it said it would have to compress it.OK, so this is what you're good at, I thought.So I tried that and the DVD was jerky.
(Nowhere could I find that 1 hour 20 minutes is all that will fit on a DVD without any compression.)
Not that I trust DVD at all as a long term format. Have still kept all my master tapes.