PDA

View Full Version : strange windows xp new critical update

lance4k
14-12-2006, 01:33 PM
have u checked ur updates popup thingy in windows xp? There is this critical update for windows media player 6.4? It alerts you even if u don't have windows media 6.4 on ur pc and your using windows media player 10 or 11. has anyone installed this update yet?

P.S

If u go to the windowsupdate website(not from inside xp popup box) under 'software updates' optional,there is 2 daylight saving updates to get. do these apply to nz?

also in software updates optional there is this update:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)

What does the "x86" mean?

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Yup I got the same update. Installed it anyway, just to get rid of the reminder thing.

pcuser42
14-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Me too. x86 means 32 bit. re Daylight Savings, do it anyway, if it doesn't work on DS change the date and uninstall the update.

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2006, 02:42 PM
You dont need the .Net framework 1.1 or 2 install.

Unless you download a program, or something, and it needs this so it'll install / run. Some .net programs wont install or run without 1.1 or 2.

Click on the + beside the update/s, it'll tell u what its for. Or click on the link it gives u so u can check out what it is / and does.

lance4k
14-12-2006, 04:12 PM
hey does anyone know why it's asking me for a .net framework update if windows xp sp2 doesn't come with the .net framework? Or is this update the actual .net framework installation?

Hey and by default(when u buy a new pc) does windows xp sp2 notify you of updates then ask you if u want to download? Or by default it is set to auto download and auto install?

I used the icon in the taskbar and clicked on it to download and then the screened closed and i put my mouse over the icon in the taskbar and it said downloading or sumthing 0%,then i waited about 10 seconds and it didn't start? does it take time to start or what? no lights were blinking when it said 0% downloading but my internet was still working. I had to manually go to the windows update website and install them from there. anyone know what the problem is?

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2006, 07:01 PM
hey does anyone know why it's asking me for a .net framework update if windows xp sp2 doesn't come with the .net framework? Or is this update the actual .net framework installation?

Its most probably the update/hotfix for the main 1.1 install file.

BUT, as I said, you dont need 1.1 or 2, unless a program you've installed needs it.

Hey and by default(when u buy a new pc) does windows xp sp2 notify you of updates then ask you if u want to download? Or by default it is set to auto download and auto install?

Dont know, never brought a complete system. Its most probably on Automatic. By default. The icon for updates should appear, once you configure the system for the internet. Or once, u go to the Windowsupdate site.

I usually put mine on notify me, but dont automatically download or install.

I usually download the updates, since it saves me getting the updates twice for 2 computers.

I used the icon in the taskbar and clicked on it to download and then the screened closed and i put my mouse over the icon in the taskbar and it said downloading or sumthing 0%,then i waited about 10 seconds and it didn't start? does it take time to start or what? no lights were blinking when it said 0% downloading but my internet was still working. I had to manually go to the windows update website and install them from there. anyone know what the problem is?

Most probably your ISP's / Telecom's prob as usual.

stu161204
14-12-2006, 08:46 PM

Thatís normal, it depends on how busy the MS update servers are, & how busy the internet is & what your doing on the computer.

I would give it at lest an 20 minís to an hour before checking to see how its going.