PDA

View Full Version : Using an anonymizer proxy

Strommer
13-12-2006, 07:36 AM
I had thought that anonymizers were only useful for p2p and other dodgy surfing, but would an anonymizer help security when using internet banking and to make it more difficult for hackers getting into a PC during normal surfing such as PF1 and news sites?

If so, then what is a good anonymizer for Firefox?
Looking at the first comment for SwitchProxy Tool - https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/125/ - it seems Torbutton may be the way to go: http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Mar-2006/msg00097.html

Or if freebies slow surfing, what $$ anonymizers are best?

Thanks.

PaulD
13-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Your bank might/should take exception to your bank account being accessed from the US 1 minute then the local supermarket shortly after.

What hackers are you worried about? Do you think Bruce is sitting behind PF1 waiting to hack your PC?

Jen
13-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Are you happy to send your banking username and password through a third-party website first? That would be the last thing you would want to do when it comes to protecting your online security.

Strommer
13-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Good points. Looks like its a 'no go' for internet banking.
Paul, it is not the website owner/manager but hackers. Thats why we use firewalls, right?

PaulD
13-12-2006, 09:55 AM
A proxy only insulates you from the destination site. You still have to be connected to the internet to access the proxy. You understand firewalls so why did you think proxies would help against hackers?

Strommer
13-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Then is it correct to say that an anonymizer is only used by people to hide their surfing to dodgy sites? If they are doing something illegal it would seem that the anonymizer program itself should be banned.

Metla
13-12-2006, 10:06 PM
What if your just doing something annoying?, like making a new account on a forum that bans your ip for life?:thumbs:

Strommer
13-12-2006, 10:53 PM
What if your just doing something annoying?, like making a new account on a forum that bans your ip for life?:thumbs:

I just KNEW there had to be a reason ! :lol:

Hey Mets, (hijacking my own thread :rolleyes: ) do you see that really annoying advert to the right, by HP for a $4k PC? It flashes around so much I feel like hitting the screen. Question: thanks to you I have Proxomitron but if I want to use the Advanced Options when replying to a PF1 post I have to Bypass Proxomitron. Or do you know how to set Proxo so as to use Advanced Options but also getting rid of the flashing adverts?

Metla
13-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Afraid I haven't used Proximitron for a few months, For no more reason then I simply didn't install it after a format, So, No idea without installing it to re-familiarize myself with it.

(strangely enough I had not noticed the ad until you brought it to my attention, Now I taken the time to look at it I feel instant hate)

Greg
14-12-2006, 12:08 AM
getting rid of the flashing adverts?You can block it in your Hosts file.

Strommer
14-12-2006, 08:13 AM
You can block it in your Hosts file.

????? How? Where?

lazydog
14-12-2006, 10:21 AM
While we're OT....
A good extension for blocking flash ad's in Firefox is "Flash block".

KiwiTT_NZ
14-12-2006, 11:21 AM
I use "No script", it stops the flash even starting.

Strommer
14-12-2006, 02:43 PM
I use "No script", it stops the flash even starting.

Is that a firefox extension?