PDA

View Full Version : HELP PC goes but KB & Mouse dead

dzina
12-12-2006, 05:24 PM
I have a PC that boots fine, loads windows with no prblems execpt the mouse and KB are DEAD!! I have tried new Mouse and KB but nothing. I have tried a USB mouse (Old one was PS2) and an old (but good) serial mouse with no luck. There is no light showing on the bottom of the optical mouse and no sign of life (in it) in windows. the KB is totally dead (no flash on POST), nothing. I have tried a new PS2 KB and a USB KB - all with same result = nothing.

No USB seem to be going, external HDD etc, shows nothing (no USB plugged/unplugged noise).

I cant do anything with no input devices of anykind working so really dont know the next thing to try - any help greatfully taken :)

Jen
12-12-2006, 05:30 PM
What happens if you unplug both keyboard and mouse and try and boot the computer up? Does it halt and beep?

Were there any changes to the system prior to this happening?

Have you tried setting the BIOS back to defaults?

dzina
12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Boots fine with nothing attached (BIOS must be set to halt on no errors). How can i achieve the BIOS reset with no input?

Jen
12-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Good question! Bit of a catch-22.

You could try removing the CMOS battery for 30 mins and then see if that resets the defaults.

pctek
13-12-2006, 09:16 AM
If no KBs work at all not even on boot, then probably your motherboard is stuffed.
Like the southbridge - especially if neither PS2 nor USB work.

dconline
13-12-2006, 09:48 PM
make sure its plugged in.. :)

though i better suggest it