PDA

View Full Version : Xtra Plans & Go Large

bk T
12-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Looks like Xtra's Go Large plan is not going any faster, I'm thinking of going back to my previous Explorer 5 GB option. But it seems that there isn't any Explorer 5 GB plan anymore! Really regretted for choosing "GO LARGE"! I think this "GO LARGE" plan is a real JOKE!

Any suggestions as to which other options do I have?

Cheers

amyes5
12-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Here's a suggestion folks! I too was very disappointed with Go Large & had a slower download speed than when I was on the Adventure plan. I run ME on one computer.After reinstalling it last week my upload speed increased dramatically.Obviously something else was hogging the bandwidth.Telecom are not going to suddenly wave a magic wand & cure all.Also as more & more torrent sites etc emerge they are just going to keep their hands hard on that throttle.Anyway give the reinstall a go.What have you got to lose?

stu161204
12-12-2006, 05:40 PM
1. Complain to Xtra every week for the next 3 - 6 weeks about the speeds issue your having ( they will get you to do a speed test over a period of a few days & make sure you get a case number), & sooner or latter your speeds will improve (that what we did & now we are getting 300 - 400 KB/s)

2. Downgrade to Go with a 1 GB bandwidth cap

3. Upgrade to Go Express with a 2GB bandwidth cap

4. Upgrade to Pro with a 15 GB bandwidth cap

stu161204
12-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Anyway give the reinstall a go.What have you got to lose?

1. All your Programs settings

2. Waste of time backing your hard drive

3. then the time it tacks to reinstalling all your Programs

qazwsxokmijn
12-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Go Large sucks. There's no more to it. At least xtra is better than ihug in terms of customer service, though.

stu161204
12-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Go Large sucks.

In what way?, I am for one happy with it some what I can get speed test off 300 - 400 KB/s.

jesse_jax
12-12-2006, 06:20 PM
In what way?, I am for one happy with it some what I can get speed test off 300 - 400 KB/s.

are you happy you had to complain for 4-6 weeks? oh ok.

stu161204
12-12-2006, 06:31 PM
are you happy you had to complain for 4-6 weeks? oh ok.

It was 3 - 4 weeks. & no we weren’t happy that we had to complain, but its now worth it as we are getting good speeds & we can now use the internet, not like the first week or so after we switched to Go large.

qazwsxokmijn
12-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Mate, I'm getting over 400kBps using THEIR (xtra) speedtest. Anything else in NZ is about 200-350kBps. Internationally, anything from 2-89kBps. Usually around 25 though.

And I've bugged them to hell like you said. Nothing worked, and I'm not reformatting my HDD just because xtra failed to deliver what they promised.

stu161204
12-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Mate, I'm getting over 400kBps using THEIR (xtra) speedtest. Anything else in NZ is about 200-350kBps. Internationally, anything from 2-89kBps. Usually around 25 though.

Have you tested your speed at www.nzdsl.co.nz
Or http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php
or http://www.worldnet.co.nz/support/speedtest/

have you got a case number with them?

And I've bugged them to hell like you said. Nothing worked, and I'm not reformatting my HDD just because xtra failed to deliver what they promised.

Then in that case there might be something wrong with your exchange e.g. its overloaded etc… or your phone lines

bonkiebonks
12-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Go Large is stupid... I could download off international sites at ~600kBytes/sec before last week, and then all of a sudden, it appears I am capped at 180kBytes/sec. National is still fine at ~6Mbit/sec for me, but seriously what's there in NZ that needs SO MUCH bandwidth? And oh, for some strange reason, with the 6Mbit/sec to local (NZ) sites, I still can't stream Bloomberg from R2.co.nz! WHAT THE &(@#?! By the way, I had to used multiple connections to achieve that ~600kBytes/sec download speed from international sites, individually, they're crap, crawling at ~300kBit/sec MAX (= ~37.5kBytes/sec).

qazwsxokmijn
12-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Have you tested your speed at www.nzdsl.co.nz
Or http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php
or http://www.worldnet.co.nz/support/speedtest/

have you got a case number with them?

Then in that case there might be something wrong with your exchange e.g. its overloaded etc… or your phone lines
I've tried both nzdsl and consumerspeedtest, but not the last one. And yes, I get around 200-350 kBps.

It couldn't be my exchange line as my neighbour is on the hundred dollar plan and he gets a whopping speed. As for phone line, could be a factor, but considering the speed was fine for the first 5 days of joining xtra, then went downhil, then a bit up, down, up, down, down, down.....it's like that. So no, it's not the phone line. It's xtra's ****ty service. So-called-service.

bk T
13-12-2006, 12:01 AM

I'm not convinced that reformatting the HDD will improve the situation. The problem is with Xtra and not our machines.

Really regretted for changing to this STUPID "Go Large". My speed used to be faster than this Go Large. And, I can't change back!! :(

qazwsxokmijn
13-12-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm not convinced that reformatting the HDD will improve the situation. The problem is with Xtra and not our machines.
Umm....that's what I said lol. I'm not reformatting my HDD. I paid $49.95 for a good internet connection at the drop of a hat....not having to endure a friggin reformat and reinstalling craps.

stu161204
13-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Really regretted for changing to this STUPID "Go Large". My speed used to be faster than this Go Large. And, I can't change back!! :(

As I keep saying keep complain to Xtra about this & even complain to the Commerce Commission as well, the more complains the Commerce Commission & Xtra get the better.

qazwsxokmijn
13-12-2006, 12:50 AM
How do I complain to the Commerce Commision?

amiga500
13-12-2006, 10:58 AM
For the Go Large customers they traffic shape almost 50 p2p and other programs including ftp and more recently http. They are traffic shaping *all *commonly used types of international traffic. This is at all times of the day and night. The only international traffic coming in at full speed for me is when I do an AVG virus update. HTTP, ordinary web browsing has been traffic shaped for the last week or so. I get around 300 to 400 on the speedtest.net test to Los Angeles yet if I do the other NZ based speed tests I can still get up to around 3400 or so.

stu161204
13-12-2006, 11:14 AM
How do I complain to the Commerce Commision?

Have a look at there website: http://www.comcom.govt.nz/

KiwiTT_NZ
13-12-2006, 12:17 PM
I used to get 3.5 MBits/s before they launched "Full Speed" for everyone. Once it was launched my speed reduced to 2.2 MBits/s, but my international downloads were going at a crawl (under 100kbits/s). So I bit the bullet and upgraded to Pro and while I still get 2.2 MBits/s to the exchange I also get that when downloading from overseas. I just don't like the idea of being policed by some ad-hoc policy. With the Pro plan I am free to use the internet how and when I like.

steveroby
14-12-2006, 04:55 PM

Formating your drive wont fix "Go Large".
After switching to go large my download speeds magicly dropped to 10-20kbs
Even downloading at 1am doesnt help, nor does rebooting the router.
My download speeds were excellent with my old "Adventure" Plan.

It now takes me 3 hours to download 100M.

steveroby
14-12-2006, 05:02 PM
With the Pro plan I am free to use the internet how and when I like.

$80 a month is a bit pricey for most(and onlt $15G) . The joys of monopolies I guess.

May be more affordable if save $$$ by dumping Sky & download TV shows instead (SKY is all repeats anyway)

Erayd
15-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Any suggestions as to which other options do I have?
1. Complain.
2. Complain again.
3. Complain yet again, and get transferred to the pro plan with a $30 credit to make up the diffenence.
4. At the end of the billing month, change back to golarge for a day and point out that it's still crap.
5. Get transferred back to the pro plan again on the same deal (effectively getting it for the same price as golarge), with the promise that if the golarge plan still sucks next month the deal will be extended.

cfodder
08-01-2007, 05:36 AM
It was 3 - 4 weeks. & no we weren’t happy that we had to complain, but its now worth it as we are getting good speeds & we can now use the internet, not like the first week or so after we switched to Go large.

i wouldn't be too happy about it if i were you stu.I did the same thing and complained everyday and eventually they sped up my net to a decent speed.That lasted all of 3 weeks and now im back to worse than ever internet.Iv noticed a couple of weird things though,the most prominent being i can get amazing speeds when i download from microsofts website,usually over 600KB/s but if i go anywhere else it's back to dial up speed.I still call and complain every day though in the hope that they might do something about it but by the looks of things there quite happy taking the cash and delivering bugger all.How are you guys getting on the pro plan and getting months for free?i have never been offered such a deal and when i ask them about such things they tell me there not able to do it.Not that even that is good enough,im so tired of them and there excuses that there's not much they could do to make me a happy customer.I just got off the phone to them again for what seems like the millionth time this month and what do i get told? "we know there's a problem but we don't know what it is,you will just have to wait" GRRRRRRRRR.He also told me it's only the go large plan,how can that be? if it's only the go large then put everyone on the pro plan remove the cap and charge us all $49.95,problem solved.

bk T
08-01-2007, 09:56 AM
i wouldn't be too happy about it if i were you stu.I did the same thing and complained everyday and eventually they sped up my net to a decent speed.That lasted all of 3 weeks and now im back to worse than ever internet.Iv noticed a couple of weird things though,the most prominent being i can get amazing speeds when i download from microsofts website,usually over 600KB/s but if i go anywhere else it's back to dial up speed.I still call and complain every day though in the hope that they might do something about it but by the looks of things there quite happy taking the cash and delivering bugger all.How are you guys getting on the pro plan and getting months for free?i have never been offered such a deal and when i ask them about such things they tell me there not able to do it.Not that even that is good enough,im so tired of them and there excuses that there's not much they could do to make me a happy customer.I just got off the phone to them again for what seems like the millionth time this month and what do i get told? "we know there's a problem but we don't know what it is,you will just have to wait" GRRRRRRRRR.He also told me it's only the go large plan,how can that be? if it's only the go large then put everyone on the pro plan remove the cap and charge us all $49.95,problem solved.

It really looks like they are not doing (or going to do) anything about the speed issue, at least as at todate. I requested to change back to my previous Explorer (5 GB) about month ago but the speed is only marginally faster - usually at about 3000 - 3800 kbps as compared to Go Large at <3000 kbps. And also, I notice that Xtra's own speed test is always showing a much faster results than NZ DSL speedtest results. Just performed a speed test and NZDSL was showing 3810 kbps and Xtra's 1 MB test was showing 5194 kbps. As can be seen, the difference is quite large - about 30%. Who to trust?

Calling them is a time consuming process (and probably, a waste of time) - got to spend about at lest half an hour and as can be expected, they can't do anything about it. Sometimes, I do pitty those helpdesk guys at Xtra - got to face so many UNHAPPY customers everyday. The reason they always give is:

"That's 'your max line speed' can handle."

Has anyone ever complained to the Consumers Association (is this the correct name ?) It will be interesting to know the results, though

Cheers

stu161204
09-01-2007, 03:47 PM
i wouldn't be too happy about it if i were you stu.

yeath, but getting 400KB/s (local speed test) is a lot better then less then 20KB's (which we where getting when we first went to go large)

I also know by the history e.g. when 3.5M came out & everyone had problems with that, that 7.5 would be worse plus with the 128K upload I know it would be hard to get that sort of speed & even before we switched to Go Large I know that Go Large was junk, buy reading of the first few pages of the “Does your broadband feel unleashed yet? Join Geoff's test” thread

I did the same thing and complained everyday and eventually they sped up my net to a decent speed.That lasted all of 3 weeks and now im back to worse than ever internet.

I think we must be lucky according to the speed test we have been doing we have been getting a consent between 300 & 400 KB/s on our speed test ( local)

Proper download speeds locally, I can’t really comment on as I don’t download that many large files from local websites & what I normally download is via FTP which Xtra is limiting so I can only get 100 – 200 KB/s

And oversees download speeds (both via HTTP & FTP) suck big time!

Iv noticed a couple of weird things though,the most prominent being i can get amazing speeds when i download from microsofts website,usually over 600KB/s .

I would guess the reason for that is maybe that Xtra does not slow down traffic to Microsoft websites (since Xtra & MS are partners at the moment ( e.g.: XtraMSN), but it will be interesting to see what happens ( in download speeds from MS) in March when Yahoo take up the partner ship with Xtra)

Or that is thanks to Akamai servers as they some time load balance traffic for MS

But it is weird…..

but if i go anywhere else it's back to dial up speed.I still call and complain every day though in the hope that they might do something about it but by the looks of things there quite happy taking the cash and delivering bugger all.

I think you may be right there & I just hope thing get better very quickly…

GRRRRRRRRR.He also told me it's only the go large plan,how can that be?
Maybe for the fact none of the other plans have Unlimited data & none of these traffic managent polices on them
Plus all the other plans either cost less (but with a smaller bandwidth cap) or cost more with a higher bandwidth cap & over usage changes

if it's only the go large then put everyone on the pro plan remove the cap and charge us all $49.95,problem solved.

Nope that won’t solve any problems; the problem will come back again, & that is all thanks to the users who always use p2p programs & are very large downloader’s

ai94iverson
14-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Xtra broadband sucks. Im on Go and i used to be able download at 300kb per sec but now my speed is going at 3/kbs. xtra sucks what shoud i do?

stu161204
14-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Welcome to PressF1 ai94iverson :) & Welcome to the I hate Xtra Go large Clup :p (Your not the only one who has had this issue have a look at this 54 page thread: http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=73589 & do a http://pressf1.co.nz/search.php of PressF1 for people who have had the same problem as you)

Xtra broadband sucks. Im on Go and i used to be able download at 300kb per sec but now my speed is going at 3/kbs. xtra sucks what shoud i do?

As Bletch said 3 posts up:

1. Complain (make sure you get a case number)

2. Complain again (they may get you to do a speed test for a few days)

3. Complain yet again, and get transferred to the pro plan with a $30 credit to make up the diffenence

4. At the end of the billing month, change back to golarge for a day and point out that it's still crap.

5. Get transferred back to the pro plan again on the same deal (effectively getting it for the same price as golarge), with the promise that if the golarge plan still sucks next month the deal will be extended.

The best thing you can do Complain, Complain again & keep on Complying! In till you get a speed that your happy with

or like most of us just keep on Complying in till Xtra does something or move to a different plan which either cost more, but you will get better performance or pay less & get better performance, but a smaller bandwidth cap!

poppyseed0054
17-01-2007, 01:33 PM
maybe that Xtra does not slow down traffic to Microsoft websites (since Xtra & MS are partners at the moment ( e.g.: XtraMSN)

Actually I have problems with Microsoft Live (Live mail, Live Spaces).
A couple of months ago I was on dial-up (in Australia), and to see the "Is this taking too long to load, try the light version" message was the norm.
I initally signed up with GO when I got here and LOVED it. Went over my 1gb limit, and upgraded to Go Large (like many before me now I read).

Some days it is fair, however I still see that "Light version" message every time I check my mail. I could click the light version link of course, but then how would I be reminded of the fact I pay $49month.

Most annoyingly though is when I surf, and webpages time out and I have to click refresh to load them again -- all this on broadband.
It's not my browser, as it doesn't happen all the time. The speeds are super erratic.
I can't afford to upgrade again. In Queensland I was close to my pop, and I think browsing speeds were not much different. (Tasmania was disgusting). BUT downloading programs on broadband is still a lot faster on Go Large than dial-up (couldn't realistically do any downloading on dial-up). --of course I was only paying $15month on dial-up.

stu161204
17-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Welcome to PressF1 poppyseed0054 :)

I like your user name :D

I initally signed up with GO when I got here and LOVED it. Went over my 1gb limit, and upgraded to Go Large (like many before me now I read).

Hmmm, so it’s true, all of the Xtra plan part from Go large are better! :( grrrrr

Most annoyingly though is when I surf, and webpages time out and I have to click refresh to load them again -- all this on broadband.

Have you tried changing DNS servers? As the default one your modem pick up from Xtra are know to be not that great!

BUT downloading programs on broadband is still a lot faster on Go Large than dial-up (couldn't realistically do any downloading on dial-up). --of course I was only paying $15month on dial-up.

You got to be kidding me downloading any programs or drives from overseas servers its like 20 – 100 KB/s! (on Go large)

bk T
17-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Welcome to PressF1 ai94iverson :) & Welcome to the I hate Xtra Go large Clup :p (Your not the only one who has had this issue have a look at this 54 page thread: http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=73589 & do a http://pressf1.co.nz/search.php of PressF1 for people who have had the same problem as you)

As Bletch said 3 posts up:

1. Complain (make sure you get a case number)

2. Complain again (they may get you to do a speed test for a few days)

3. Complain yet again, and get transferred to the pro plan with a $30 credit to make up the diffenence

The best thing you can do Complain, Complain again & keep on Complying! In till you get a speed that your happy with

or like most of us just keep on Complying in till Xtra does something or move to a different plan which either cost more, but you will get better performance or pay less & get better performance, but a smaller bandwidth cap!

Complain, complain, and complain; but if Xtra is not going to do anything about it what can we do? Not everyone is so lucky as you to get the upgrade to Pro plan for free, though. Every time I ring up Xtra, it takes at least 20 min of my time and every time I get the same reply: "That's your maximum line speed!" It as waste of your time calling them, knowing that they can't (or not going to) do anything about it. I can't afford to engage a lawyer to take up the case.

It's almost 3 months now since they "UNLEASH" their broadband and the so-called max speed is still crawling like dial-up, sometimes. It's a real joke. But that's seems to be the way it is in New Zealand. Looks like we have to accept it whether we like it or not.

I have made a dozen of complains already and am getting sick of phoning Xtra now, knowing or expecting to get the same answer!

Has anyone got their speed improved, yet?

turning_point
17-01-2007, 08:12 PM
hey buddy, just keep complaining, and when u feel like it, chuck in the "its not fair that im paying 50 bux a month for this, i want a credit" and they'll tell you they can do it, and they can/will.

ive done it once already for the first month, last month i didnt cause i way away, but again ive already told the lady im expecting a credit. get them to put it in the case number and it should be sweet as proof.

after i complained, my torrents go 4-20kb now :) hahaha..as opposed to never during the day during the month of janurary. so im happy wiv free internet i suppose.

UntermencheN
06-02-2007, 12:40 AM
hey i would like to join your little hate fest.

i live in an area that is quite far from the transfer and not only do i get dialup speeds the internet also drops out altogther atleast once every half an hour and it will stay dead for a few minutes then resume (this plays havoc with any downloads i may be running and i have been trying to get program patchs for weeks but when the internet crashes the patchs start over).

whenever i complain about my dire speeds and the fact that i dont even have stable internet, they tell me that im getting bad speeds because i live furtheraway from the exchange and they blame my unstable internet apon my router. Now i would like to point out that they are full of you know what, before the internet was unleashed i had a telecom tech come over and test our line and we found that our line could only handle 1.5mb because of our location (which was annoying but not worth fighting about and we were actually getting 1.5mb). and the fact that i was using the same modem all the way through shows that they are indeed full of it.

if anyone could find a way of contacting a higher level of management inside xtra other then the helpdesks (half of which i talk to dont speak much good english) please tell me.

also as a last note. everytime i hear that helpdesk hold music a little piece of my soul shrivels up and dies leaving my a little less human then before.

JJJJJ
06-02-2007, 06:59 AM
The reasons for slow internet:

Your phone lines
Your router
Your computer
You connection setup.
A factory 5 miles up the road causing interference.

Telecom are giving you full speed. It's not their fault.

If you don't believe me. Ask Telecom.

stu161204
06-02-2007, 11:34 AM

Your phone lines

In our case that’s BS, as our line is good

Your router

We have had the same router before Go Large, so it wont be that.

Your computer

How could it be a computer as in my case there I have 5 computers on a network & they all report the same.

You connection setup.

It what way?

Where we are there is no factory’s on the way to our exchange

Do you have proof?

Do you believe everything they say? :groan: :rolleyes:, most people on PressF1 know that half the time that Telecom are talking rubbish, I have even spoke face to face at a Auckland Home show a couple of people who work for Telecom & they where very impress with us when we told them what I do & how much bandwidth we used (this was back before Go large)

stu161204
06-02-2007, 11:35 AM
if anyone could find a way of contacting a higher level of management inside xtra other then the helpdesks (half of which i talk to dont speak much good english) please tell me.

Have you ask to talk to there team leader or management? & have you tried phoning them at different times in the day & night?

qazwsxokmijn
06-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Ask Telecom for the truth? Sorry, JJJJJJ, but that's got to be the stupidest thing I've heard today. They'll lie their way out of anything.

stu161204
06-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Ask Telecom for the truth? Sorry, JJJJJJ, but that's got to be the stupidest thing I've heard today. They'll lie their way out of anything.

My point exactly!

sarel
06-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Just had my IT brainy friend here. Told me I would do well on GoLarge - apparently some factor is low coz I'm so near the exchange?

sarel

stu161204
06-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Just had my IT brainy friend here. Told me I would do well on GoLarge - apparently some factor is low coz I'm so near the exchange?

If I was you sarel I won’t torch Go large with a 10 foot barge pole!

UntermencheN
06-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Have you ask to talk to there team leader or management? & have you tried phoning them at different times in the day & night?

yea I have try that but for some reason i always end up talking to some sales rep and then ill be transfered back and forth inbetween the helpdesk and sales untill i start contemplating suicide and hang up.

Your phone lines
Your router
Your computer
You connection setup.

congrats you have just directly quoted every coversation i have ever had with the xtra helpdesk apart from my yelling at them and informing them they are lowest form of life. stu has pretty much hit the nial on the head.

user
06-02-2007, 06:50 PM

I think JJJJ was being sarcastic. Rather lost on a number of members...

Has anyone rang up Telecom after their plan was changed to a faster plan for one month at no extra cost? My month is coming to an end and it would be nice to know what to expect when they change me back to the Go Large plan and I find it is still slow.

stu161204
06-02-2007, 06:51 PM
yea I have try that but for some reason i always end up talking to some sales rep and then ill be transfered back and forth inbetween the helpdesk and sales untill i start contemplating suicide and hang up.

Next best thing if you have no luck with Xtra is write to the Commerce Commission or even get in touch with Far Go (http://tvnz.co.nz/view/tvone_minisite_index_skin/tvone_fair_go_group)

By the way have you tried been nice to them?

stu has pretty much hit the nial on the head.

:)

stu161204
06-02-2007, 06:55 PM
I think JJJJ was being sarcastic. Rather lost on a number of members...

if he was then he shoud have used this :rolleyes: smilie

Has anyone rang up Telecom after their plan was changed to a faster plan for one month at no extra cost?

Bletch has done this.

My month is coming to an end and it would be nice to know what to expect when they change me back to the Go Large plan and I find it is still slow.

You just tell them that your still un happy with Go Large & want to go back to the plan your on now.

steveroby
08-02-2007, 08:29 PM

Your phone lines
Your router
Your computer
You connection setup.

sarcasm/humour has no place in this discussion
People are too angry to get it:D

UntermencheN
08-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Next best thing if you have no luck with Xtra is write to the Commerce Commission or even get in touch with Far Go (http://tvnz.co.nz/view/tvone_minisite_index_skin/tvone_fair_go_group)

By the way have you tried been nice to them?

Yes I tried the nice way for about 3months and then lost my rag with them (I usually think of myself as a very polite person but xtra has brought out the worst in me) . Plus its like Nicolo Machievelli said "It is better to be feared than loved."

But that is a good idea to write into fair go. maybe they can do something or at the very least give the issue more media coverage. :thumbs:

UntermencheN
08-02-2007, 11:21 PM

sarel

I have a friend who is literally about 500 meters from his transfer and he has still been getting most if not all the go-large problems. it sounds about right that someone close to a transfer would be ok on go-large but xtra seems able to defy logic.

stu161204
09-02-2007, 12:22 AM
UntermencheN > maybe even try changing ISP's

CaptinMoor
09-02-2007, 12:32 AM
The only thing that will fix go large is moving away from Telecom to another ISP. I have just had a huge fight with Telecom over there false advertising of there Go Small plan and have subsequently moved to another ISP. I have had nothing but SUPER FAST internet for ever since I have moved. For anyone that is interested I would take a serious look into XNET as an ISP. Absolutly Top Notch

UntermencheN
17-02-2007, 09:57 PM
For anyone that is interested I would take a serious look into XNET as an ISP. Absolutly Top Notch

shall look into it thanks.

fyi my speeds have averaged at 1-.5kbps for the last week... 0_o

JJJJJ
18-02-2007, 06:32 AM
If xtra are so bad, why is anyone with them?

msnforum
18-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Most of our phone lines are with telecom so that's why.

JJJJJ
18-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Most of our phone lines are with telecom so that's why.

What's that got to do with it?

jermsie
18-02-2007, 11:50 AM
If xtra are so bad, why is anyone with them?
I've thought the same thing. Their advertising appears to be very effective.

Laura
18-02-2007, 12:35 PM
"Someone" has paid for a Digipoll - presumably allied to this.

I was phoned last night & asked if I'd answer questions about why I'd changed my ISP. I said I hadn't.
"So you are still with Xtra Broadband?"

Light dawned on me then.
I said I was Xtra DialUp, but had signed up for their BB, then changed my mind & returned the modem package unopened.
"Why did you decide against it?"

I said I'd heard so many reports of it being slow that it wasn't worth the trouble for me.
"Do you want to do the survey anyway?"
I said No.

No doubt the complainers here would've preferred that I continue, but I was busy & thought I'd made my point. (Only later did I realise that it probably wouldn't be recorded without completing the survey)

Anyway, I presume Xtra commissioned this, as no other ISP would have me on any list of changes.
And that means they're looking at the whys - to improve their game?

secureprivacy
18-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Xtra Go large is quite slow. I got only 600 KB/s

For fun, how can you use up your data coverage easily?

Henry

stu161204
18-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Xtra Go large is quite slow. I got only 600 KB/s

600 KB/s is dam good for Go Large; you must be one lucky person to get that type of speeds!!! (I am only getting 171 KB/s according to NZDSL on Go Large)

Where are you doing your speed tests?

If you’re really getting 600 KB/s & you think its quite slow then there could be something wrong with your computer

For fun, how can you use up your data coverage easily?

If your on Xtra Go Large you can’t use up your data cap as there isn’t one ;)

bk T
21-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Afer a long wrangle (thru phone calls, time-wasting speed tests. etc., and emails) with Xtra's Broadband Team, they finally admitted that there is nothing they can do about it to improve the speed issue of their so-called UNLEASHED broadband; and, there is nothing wrong with my phone line and computer setup). Just received an email from them saying that they will give me a rebate for the slow speed I encountered. Phoned them and confirmed that they are giving me 3 months' credit to compensate my slow download speed! Not too bad though, but still UNHAPPY with the slow downloads.

There seems to be nothing much I can do about it other than changing to another ISP but will this help?

stu161204
22-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Afer a long wrangle (thru phone calls, time-wasting speed tests. etc., and emails) with Xtra's Broadband Team, they finally admitted that there is nothing they can do about it to improve the speed issue of their so-called UNLEASHED broadband; and, there is nothing wrong with my phone line and computer setup). Just received an email from them saying that they will give me a rebate for the slow speed I encountered. Phoned them and confirmed that they are giving me 3 months' credit to compensate my slow download speed! Not too bad though, but still UNHAPPY with the slow downloads.

To me that confirms what most of us Go Large users on PressF1 had an idea about, Xtra does not have the bandwidth to run Go Large.

There seems to be nothing much I can do about it other than changing to another ISP but will this help?

Maybe as other ISP’s may have more bandwidth available then Xtra, it could be worth a try.

JJJJJ
22-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Why are you with Xtra anyway?
There's lots better than them around.

bk T
22-02-2007, 09:27 AM

The reasons:

1. My one year contract is only 5 months old; :(
2. I've 12 months 'FREE' BB Internet access from Xtra as I won the 1 year 'Pass the Parcel' game just before the BB Unleash. :)

Cheers

Miami Steve
22-02-2007, 10:25 AM
The reasons:

1. My one year contract is only 5 months old; :(
2. I've 12 months 'FREE' BB Internet access from Xtra as I won the 1 year 'Pass the Parcel' game just before the BB Unleash. :)

Cheers

So your 3 months credit will come to $0.00. :illogical

stu161204
22-02-2007, 11:29 AM

One reason why I think we are still with Xtra is because we are waiting to see what happened with ADSL2 & the local loop unbundling.

JJJJJ
22-02-2007, 11:34 AM
One reason why I think we are still with Xtra is because we are waiting to see what happened with ADSL2 & the local loop unbundling.

Xtra have never been honest in the past. What makes you think they will be any different this time?

bk T
22-02-2007, 12:22 PM
So your 3 months credit will come to $0.00. :illogical

Nope. What I have won is what I won. The have already credited 12 x $49.95 to my account long time ago. On paper, I still have to pay $49.95 every monthy for my Go Large Plan. And yesterday, $49.95 x 3 has been credit to my account. :)

Miami Steve
22-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Nope. What I have won is what I won. The have already credited 12 x $49.95 to my account long time ago. On paper, I still have to pay $49.95 every monthy for my Go Large Plan. And yesterday, $49.95 x 3 has been credit to my account. :)

For all the NCEA students out there - At the current rate, how long will it be before bk T owes Telecom any money? (No calculators allowed). :lol:

Cicero
23-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Just tried to sign up to Telstra,they were to come back to me in 24hrs,that was a week ago.