PDA

View Full Version : Has Nortons Stuffed The Dial Up?

Strommer
12-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Heres the story: I bought a PC off Trademe for a friend. Good buy - WinXP Pro, Athlon (only 1Ghz but it flies along quite fast). I configured the dial up settings and connected into her ISP and used it a few times updating and setting up Thunderbird. So far so good.

But it came with Nortons Anti Virus, which I detest, so I uninstalled it (had to find a special uninstaller from the Norton website), replacing it with Avast. Then the problem - when trying to connect, Error 680 pops up saying there is no dial tone. Checked the line - dial tone OK, with no beeps indicating a message. The extension line I am using works fine with a phone - dial tone OK. Also replaced the line from PC to phone wiring. Still get 680 error.

Checked Device Manager but no yellow marks and all appears OK.

Am not using my PC with broadband just in case that would interfer with the dial up connection. Have unplugged the line filter even though all was OK before the Nortons uninstall.

Am reluctant to use the WinXP System Restore as I do not want Norton crap back in registry and have also installed a photo program this morning although I could uninstall and reinstall it, if System Restore has to be used.

Advice? Did the Norton uninstall stuff things up?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Is the phone line in the right connection on the modem?

If the modem is a voice modem.

I doubt Nortons would stuff the modem.

Are u using call waiting or other on this line as well?

pctek
12-12-2006, 11:51 AM
The cable from the modem to the phone-line jack may be installed in the wrong connector on the modem - make sure you are plugged in to the LINE - not phone - jack on the modem.

Or the problem might be wrong Country in Windows->ControlPanel-> Regional Settings.

Strommer
12-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Speedy and pctek - thanks for replying. Remember this: all was working OK until I uninstalled Nortons, which means the correct connector (line / phone) and call waiting is not the issue. A dial tone IS heard, with no beeps for call waiting or a message.

V.92 Voice Fax modem.

Well, I am going to reinstall the drivers via the CD. Maybe the Norton uninstall got rid a shared dll or something. Will get back with the result.

borax
12-12-2006, 01:51 PM
I had a similar prob. In the end i uninstalled the modem, turned the PC off. I opened the PC up and moved the modem to another slot and reinstalled it, worked fine after that

Strommer
12-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I think I found the problem, searching around Device Manager and Troubleshooting. There are three ports: COM 1, COM2, and the Printer Port. But the modem is configured to COM3... not COM 1 or 2.

So how do I change it to COM 1 or 2 ?

I have no idea what has happened. As I said, all was working fine until I unistalled Nortons.

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2006, 02:12 PM
If the PC has 9 pin com ports onboard, dont change the modem to com 1 or 2. They may conflict.

As that's what the 9 pin ports will be using.

A modem should run on com 3. The modem on this is running on com 3 and works no prob at all.

See if the modem passes the diagnostic test thru control panel / phone and modem options.

If you're using XP.

Strommer
12-12-2006, 02:42 PM
See if the modem passes the diagnostic test thru control panel / phone and modem options.

Unfortunately, all OK as per the diagnostics tests. But I did not actually see a "COM3" listed, only 1 and 2 followed by the Printer LPT1 (via Device Manager / Ports).

Have not yet reinstalled the drivers. CD did not auto load and cannot figure which file - tried two "setup.exe's" but not the right one. Dunno - I am sorta shooting in the dark here. This is Twilight Zone stuff to me - cannot :badpc: figure why the "no dial tone" error would appear when all was fine a few hours previously. Ah well, guess I will get out in the sunshine and clear my head...! :o

pctek
12-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Test modem by dialling a number through HyperTerminal. This will test the Modem without using Dialup Networking.

If you give your modem an AT&FX1 command, and then a dial command, dial-tone detection will be disabled; if you still do not get dial tone, the modem may not be installed correctly

The first modems were external, and using COM ports to connect them to the PC seemed very logical. To this day, external modems require an available COM port to operate - they do not include COM port circuitry in them.

When modems went internal, they were made to be software-compatible with external modems. Therefore, they had to use the same method of communication: through a COM port. Unlike externals, internal modems include a COM port on the card, which must be assigned an I/O range and an IRQ, just like a COM port on the motherboard.

Winmodems do not have a "real" COM port on them. Instead, they rely on software to perform that job.

FoxyMX
12-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I had a similar prob. In the end i uninstalled the modem, turned the PC off. I opened the PC up and moved the modem to another slot and reinstalled it, worked fine after that

That is what I have done a couple of times when the modem has refused to co-operate. I uninstalled it in Hardware devices along with the COM ports, switched off the PC, removed the modem physically, rebooted without the modem, turned it off again, reinstalled the modem physically then reinstalled the drivers when prompted. Windows reinstalled the COM ports as required.

Worked like a charm.

Have to confess though, that the first time I had "unresolvable" modem problems I reformatted the entire PC.... :blush: :p

Strommer
12-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Must work fast now as my friend invited us for a meal this evening and want the PC. Cr*p.! Will reply to above, but just noticed this: Control Panel > Modem Regional Settings... after it scanned all COMs this came up:"modem type cannot detect".

Sweep
12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Must work fast now as my friend invited us for a meal this evening and want the PC. Cr*p.! Will reply to above, but just noticed this: Control Panel > Modem Regional Settings... after it scanned all COMs this came up:"modem type cannot detect".

The regional setting is probably why you get that message about no dialtone.

The ring tones are different to our NZ ones as is the dial tone.

Strommer
12-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Gremlins. Must be gremilins.

Since I had to take the PC over to my friend's house and no longer had time to fiddle, I chose to do a System Restore at a point prior to removing Nortons. It worked - managed to get online. But thats not the end of the story. :(

Drove half an hour out in the sticks to my friend's house, arriving late because I waited to update Avast which took ages using the PC dialup (no LAN or whatever its called so I could connect my router cable). Set up the PC on friend's desk. Booted up fine. But once again it would not connect and the "no dial tone" error came up. :angry OK, thought to try another Restore point... but the System Restore would not start up at all, plus there was an anomaly on the desktop - could not open from the shortcut icons. Cr*p!

Luckily, I installed Acronis Drive Image and made a back up of C drive prior to removing Nortons. :D 15 minutes later C drive was once again intact, back to the time all was well with the modem connecting online. Gremlins: it would not connect and another 'no dial tone' error!! Cr*p again!!

borax - you may be on the mark - maybe I need to remove the modem and try another slot, or maybe it just needs to be reseated (dirty contacts?). Might have to try it, or even have to find a spare (new) modem I have somewhere and install that.

Foxy says "That is what I have done a couple of times when the modem has refused to co-operate. I uninstalled it in Hardware devices along with the COM ports, switched off the PC, removed the modem physically, rebooted without the modem, turned it off again, reinstalled the modem physically then reinstalled the drivers when prompted. Windows reinstalled the COM ports as required." - great stuff. Thanks. Will do this if nothing else works.

pctek - you say "Test modem by dialling a number through HyperTerminal." OK, I will try that but not sure how to go about doing it. Maybe I can try it on one of our laptops before driving way out to my friend's house (where the PC is now).

pctek - you say "If you give your modem an AT&FX1 command, and then a dial command, dial-tone detection will be disabled; if you still do not get dial tone, the modem may not be installed correctly". How do I give the modem those commands? Never did this before so it is all new to me. Thanks. I am on a steep learning curve here but that suits me just fine.

Speedy - yes, I see COMs 1 and 2 are "in use" so will stick with COM3. This bit is interesting: "Unlike externals, internal modems include a COM port on the card..." Thanks for the explanation. Think it makes sense to me, finally.

Sweep - I was unable to set the Regional Settings to NZ - it just went around and around and then the error message came up ("modem type cannot detect"). Don't know what this has to do with the problem. Anyone??

...footnote... When I rang the Trademe seller about picking up the PC, I asked if it had a modem. No, just broadband - but he offered replace it with a modem for no extra $$. A decent chap. Maybe he did not install it properly??? :stare:

BTW, before the error message of No Dial Tone, no dialling can be heard. When it did manage to connect online, the dialling tones could be heard along with the hiss and pop noises of the modem connecting.

amiga500
13-12-2006, 08:30 PM
It's quite possible that this modem has a hardware fault. It works some of the time then it quits. It's reasonably common for people buying a new computer to finish up with a modem with symptoms like yours. The winmodems put into a lot of new pcs are pretty crappy really. I've seen modems that would connect for a minute or so then drop out. Or modems that would appear to work perfectly
one day and then the next day not work at all!

Trying another modem in the PC would be the best option if that's possible for you. Remove the modem from the device manager (in control panel) Pull out the modem from the PC. Restart the PC a couple of times including a power off shutdown. Then follow the instructions to install a new or different modem.

Strommer
13-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks Amiga. I'll put in a new modem if the other options do not work. This may not be until next week as my friend is now in hospital, hopefully for only a short time.

The thing that bugs me is that the diagnostic testing shows no fault with the modem.

Strommer
14-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Update: I rang the guy we bought the Trademe PC from. While he kindly installed a modem as I drove over to pick it up, he told me this morning that he did not install the drivers from the modem CD. WinXP detected the new hardware after he installed the modem and it seemed to locate the drivers within XP. He told me to try installing the drivers via Start > Run (to access the CD - I could not find the correct drivers via explorer).

So I have a number of options to try. :)