PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Deskpro - flashing LED on motherboard

george12
12-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Hey guys,

I have a most peculiar problem. I have two Compaq Deskpro EN SFFs sitting in my room, one a 600MHz PIII with 128MB Ram and one a 450MHz Celeron with 128MB Ram. Both of these work fine usually, but sometimes I'll plug them in and the light on the motherboard will flash slowly, and it will be unresponsive to the power button. Usually at these times BOTH of the computers will do this. All up I have had 4 different models of Deskpro do this to me.

What on earth could it be? It's done it before but leaving it for a week sorted it out. Now it's been going fine for over a week (both of them), and I've just sold them on Trade Me.

Now, on testing them for the last time before boxing them, they both do the same thing? This is gonna cost me $110 and I want to know why .... :(

I tested the voltage in my house and it was 230V.

Cheers
George

R2x1
12-12-2006, 10:50 AM
If it happens to both, (especially if this happens when they have both been off for quite a while,) maybe the CMOS batteries are past their use-by date.
At least the LED works well ;)

george12
12-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Could be, I have some spare boards I can pull them out of. Thanks for that!

Edit: You are entirely correct, it goes fine with a new battery in it. Thanks very much.