Appreciate any comments as per below.

This is what I have:

Soltek SL–PT–880E-RC (?) motherboard
1024MB 400DDR
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
Pentium 3.0
80GB HD IDE

This is what I want:

Using FSX to fly into Chicago at 1700, using the hardware-intensive PMDG 747, and 75% traffic using the Ultimate Traffic add-on, at night in bad weather! With a FPS no less than 30.

A big ask in FSX for any machine...but apparently very workable.

This is what I assume I need:

from the researching I've done on flight-sim forums....

512MB video card
4GB CPU

This is what I’ve been told by various “experts”:

1/ Quay Computers, when asked, gave their usual level of service and I got a recipe for a mild Vindaloo.

2/ I need a new Motherboard, coz the exisiting one won’t support either an up-graded CPU, and I’ll be hard-pressed to find a compatible 512MB video card.

3/ Buy new! By the time I’ve paid for the upgrades, I may as well keep the machine as a spare, and have a new one built. Does this have any merit?

There's also this whole PCI Express thing going on that someone mentioned to me....they said if I'm going to be doing an upgrade then this is a must? Apparently it's quite important when it comes to video cards?? And brings in the whole motherboard-compatibility thing?

This is where the conversation about flagging the upgrade and starting from scratch came into it....

Would really appreciate any advice you can give, especially point 3 above.

Oh....please don't suggest buying hardware over the Internet and installing myself....haven't got the skills for that. I need to take it to a shop and have it professionally done, and need to have some idea what the go is before I do this.

Cheers
Tim

PaulD
12-12-2006, 09:06 AM
You need thread title that will catch JJJJJs notice. He's on an eternal FlightSim upgrade path.

pctek
12-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Then buy off a shop such as Ascent - yes you need a new motherboard as everything is PCI-Express now.
Which means a new CPU and new ram also.
You could take your old one in and get it upgraded, or just buy a new box (minus monitor, KB, mouse) and sell the old one on TM.
Upgrading will be cheaper.

allblack
12-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Bump!

beetle
20-12-2006, 05:22 PM
And the decision is? or new toy is?:illogical

beetle:illogical

dolby digital
20-12-2006, 06:18 PM
I would monitor the flight sim forums as I am sure other flight simmers will be going through this given that FSX is pretty new and some will feel the need to get a faster machine to cope. With a flight sim, the graphics card is probably the most important component followed by cpu. If you can find some good information in these forums, you can then take this information to a pc assembler.

Unless of course you have already ordered a new box, which is the way I would go.

SolMiester
21-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Hmmmm, if I were you, & FSX was my game of chice with limited budget, I would keep the HDD & RAM, then buy a 939 socket X2 AMD cpu (still great cpu dual core & budget), new Mobo for it and a PCI-e current generation card.

You may even be able to re-use your case.

PS: U dont state your monitor size. Its not worth it getting latest and greatest video card if your monitor resolution is limited to 1280x1024 or less.

pctek
21-12-2006, 12:40 PM
PS: U dont state your monitor size. Its not worth it getting latest and greatest video card if your monitor resolution is limited to 1280x1024 or less.

Oh really....why.

SolMiester
21-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Oh really....why.

Are u serious?, You wont see a different between a 7900GTX & 8800GTX @ that res, its cpu limited!

pctek
21-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Are u serious?, You wont see a different between a 7900GTX & 8800GTX @ that res, its cpu limited!

Rubbish. Its not all about res you know.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=519&model2=606&chart=224

SolMiester
22-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Rubbish. Its not all about res you know.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=519&model2=606&chart=224

PCteck, shame on you!!!

Everybody knows the 'Tomshardware' dont know how to do proper hardware tests....LOL

Please tell me you dont use Toms as a hardware review site, especially when comparing video cards....otherwise I will never be able to take anything you say seriousy again.

Master_Frost
22-12-2006, 03:54 PM

I would have to mostly dissagree also. I have a 7950Gt running at GTX speeds and game in 1280x1024.

There are times I can bring the card to its knees, COH full detail, large map and at ground level.

Oblivion, well full detail, not really possible for smooth FPS 1280x1024

There are other examples, dropping to 15FPS where it is not CPU limited and where a 8800GTX would have no problem. Not saying he should get one.

BTW Don't over flame Toms, its not 100% rubbish, those charts are simply fast to find, rather than Googling.

SolMiester
24-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Hey listen, if you want to use Toms as your source of hardware advise, go for it!