PDA

View Full Version : Weak ADSL signals?

qazwsxokmijn
11-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Hi guys. I've had this annoying problem since I've had my first DSL-502T. I now have the second one (first was from ihug, now I'm with xtra) and the same problem still occurs. My very first modem was a DSL-200, a modem needing no external power supply other than a USB port.

Anyways, the problem is - my connection very often shuts down. I mean, the modem has all its lights on, but I can't load any websites, and I can't even access the modem's 10.1.1.1 thing. The only way out of this by turning it off then on again. And, I often get weak ADSL signal (or so I presume). I think this is the case as when I can't connect to any websites, and my ADSL light blinks a lot or is off.

Also, the modem's ability of uPnP very often fails, and my P2P programs need this uPnP enabled. Although in 10.1.1.1 says uPnP is enabled, my P2P programs have trouble with uPnP. The only way out of this is, again, turning the modem off and on again.

I am using a power board as the power jack point for the adaptor of the modem. It shares the board with the printer and 2 slots are left empty. The powerboard is capable of up to 2400W.

And, yes, the back of my computer is LOADED with MESSY wires, blah, blah, blah, etc, but everything are connected properly. I have heard many cluttered cables can disturb ADSL signals. Is this true? What can I do to fix this problem of mine?

Thanks in advance.

stu161204
11-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Have you tried a modem that has not been supplied by your ISP?, as some times those modems can be cheep & nasty.

Also have you tried an Ethernet connection? (Ethernet connection is better then USB anyway)

Jen
11-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Your phone line may also be behind this especially if it looks like you are losing your ADSL signal. Have you phoned your ISP/Telecom and had the line checked?

qazwsxokmijn
12-12-2006, 12:19 AM
I can't do ethernet as I don't have an ethernet adaptor. As for the phone line, yes, I have questioned xtra's helpdesk about it. They say using an extension cable may be a the culprit, but I have no idea what or where the phone line goes, let alone knowing if I have a phone line extension cable.

Can anyone help me out?

Jen
12-12-2006, 08:31 AM
A phone line extension cable is an cable you plug into the phone wall jack to extend the reach of the cable to your phone/modem. Using an long extension cable can cause problems with ADSL signal, especially if it has a fault (check for kinks or nicks in the cable). If you are using one, try moving the computer closer to the phone wall jack so that you can connect your modem to it without using the extension cable and see if this makes a difference.

You can also have problems with the phone line between your house and the exchange. Telecom can do a remote line test (only takes a minute) to see if there is excessive interference on the line.

Other things that can interfere with the ADSL signal are faulty ADSL filters you may use in the house on each phone jack or even a phone with a fault. You can test for this by unplugging every phone device that is connected in your house and just leave the computer modem plugged in. See if the problem continues.

You can get cheap ethernet cards for your desktop computer and they are easy to install. Using ethernet instead of USB may also help.

trig42
12-12-2006, 08:43 AM
If you can get into the diagnostics of the modem (on 10.1.1.1) it should give you some stats on the strength of your signal from the exchange.

If you could post those numbers, we could tell how strong your signal is and how good the connection to the exchange is.

(the numbers I'm talking about are Line Attenuation, SNR Ratio/Margin and Data rate - usually under the status/ADSL Status of your modem)

qazwsxokmijn
12-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
Annex Mode ANNEX_A
Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz

Downstream: 2784kbps Upstream: 160kbps

SNR Margin: down:9 up:25 unit:dB

Line Attenuation: down: 34 up:21 unit: dB

As for the phone line thing, I see there is a thin, white cable going off from the telephone, into a small, box, then the cable from the box goes into the ground....is the box thingie the extension cable?