PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning Problems

HLM
11-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Hello,

What I have beside me is an older computer with Windows 98 running. It has a 40GB Hard drive, with appox 7GB used up. At least that's what it's supposed to have.

In the past, I had used this machine to install Linux, which required splitting the partitions with a program called Fips. This went well, and I was able to have both Linux and Windows running from the same machine. However, after getting rid of Linux, it looks like I might have made a mistake. What I ended up with was Linux taking up 80% of that 40GB drive, leaving only about 7GB for Windows to play with. This extra space does not show up in Windows at all (I'm guessing due to it being "EXT-DOS").

Running fdisk from bootup, I gathered the following information:

Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
C: 1 A Pri DOS 7452 FAT32 19%
2 Non-DOS 102 0%
3 Non-DOS 259 1%
4 EXT-DOS 31448 80%

I believe the 2 Non-DOs partitions were used for the Linux installaiton. I have since deleted those using Fdisk. I am now sitting here wondering if I should delete the ;large EXT-DOS one as well.

Basically, what I am asking is if I am able to reclaim all that space, and somehow merge it together with the 7GB that is currently in use by Windows, so I end up with the total drive being used by Windows just like normal. I would like to hope I could do this without the need to format/lose everything, but I guess I'll have to make do if it's the only way.

Any help greatly appreciated!

johnd
11-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Firstly - welcome to PF1!

I think I would obtain a copy of Knoppix (Linux able to be booted from a CD) and use the GUi partitioning tool called QTparted to delete partitions not required and resize the c: drive.

John

dchip
11-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Or you could try puppylinux (http://www.puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php?cat_id=1&download_id=56)

It's a lot smaller to d/load, boots in seconds and has a nice gui partitioning program that I've used alot with much success on several multi-boot systems.

Great tool for anyone to have in their cd case as well as an excellent distro for everydays use.

HLM
11-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at the link provided (as much as I'd like to stay away from Linux!)

Now as I said, I've got the small DOS partition, and the large EXT-DOS one. If I simply deleted the EXT-DOS, what would happen to that space on the drive? I don't suppose it would be added to the original DOS and only remaining partition would it?

Myth
11-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at the link provided (as much as I'd like to stay away from Linux!)

Now as I said, I've got the small DOS partition, and the large EXT-DOS one. If I simply deleted the EXT-DOS, what would happen to that space on the drive? I don't suppose it would be added to the original DOS and only remaining partition would it?The spare space will remain as unpartitioned space. You will need to use an app (such as those suggested) to resize your c: to incorporate the unpartitioned area.

dchip
12-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Looking at your partitions it seems as though you still have posibly a "/boot" partition @ par2 and wot could be a linux swap @ par3....you need to strip it back to just the 1st partition (the one known as c:).

After doing that you'll have a heap of "un-allowcated" space after c: which you can fill up now by resizing your c drive to fill the space.

You'll need a partitioning program, either bootable or gui/text based binary if your win98 is bootable. Whichever you choose make sure it is non-distructive!!

Obviously when doing this sort of stuff it's best to backup so you'll need to sort that out....is your win98 bootable?...(if not use the puppy, it loads into ram freeing up your burner, it has good cdrw & dvdrw support built in ;)

If you like the puppy btw & would like to run it along side your win98se (dual boot with the grub boot loader) it would take approx 20mins to set up ;)

And if you didn't like puppy installed to the hdd (allthough I couldn't imagine why:) it would take you 10mins to reconfigure everything using the puppy.

HLM
12-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Funny how Linux is what started this whole mess in the first place, yet it is also what saved my life!

Burned that Puppy iso to CD, booted that in the problem computer, ran GParted" and simply deleted the EXT-DOS partition, and dragged the remaining one all the way to the right, taking up the whole drive. Restart, and everything is fine!

Thanks for the help.

dchip
13-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Your very welcome.

One thing though, If I were you I would split that hdd at least into two ( OS + Data ) as it will make recovery easier next time ;)

Basicaly use gparted to shrink the "c" drive again to about 10-12 gig, then create another partition that takes up the rest of the space and use that for your data storage.

Just out of interest, how did the puppy run on that machine?...good?