PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Patch location

Sherman
11-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey all

I have a laptop with windows XP Pro SP2 installed.
I have (maybe somewhat foolishly perhaps) had windows update download, then automaticly install once downloaded.

I may be deciding to reinstall windows sometime in the near future, however, I don't want to have to download all of the updates again.

Does windows keep the installation files?
If so, is it possible to find them so that they can be saved to CD?

Thanks

ps: Im on dialup, and it takes days to download all of the MS updates :mad:

Speedy Gonzales
11-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Ah theyre usually stored in a folder while theyre downloading, but they disappear after the update has been installed.

Other than that, get Autopatcher, whatever its called. BUT, its not exactly small for someone on dialup.

I usually download them from the MS site, and put them on a spare partition. Then reinstall them if I have to format.

SurferJoe46
11-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Ah theyre usually stored in a folder while theyre downloading, but they disappear after the update has been installed.

Other than that, get Autopatcher, whatever its called. BUT, its not exactly small for someone on dialup.

I usually download them from the MS site, and put them on a spare partition. Then reinstall them if I have to format.

Speed:

If you have them and move them off the root drive, does XP still find them ok?

Maybe I'll just pop in a 10g or so and save all the ones I have now anyway...the list gets very long....<sigh> :stare:

Speedy Gonzales
11-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Speed:

If you have them and move them off the root drive, does XP still find them ok?

Maybe I'll just pop in a 10g or so and save all the ones I have now anyway...the list gets very long....<sigh> :stare:

Before, to save me getting them all the time, I used to copy the files (which used to go to the windowsupdate folder or something), while they were downloading) and before all the updates were installed.

You cant copy the folders/files once the updates have been installed. Those folders would be for uninstalling the update/hotfix

Sherman
12-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Damn.

I thought that might have been the case, but still...

That'll teach me not to have them install by themselves.

thanks for the replies

pcuser42
12-12-2006, 04:00 PM
I have a CD full of updates for SP2. I wasted my cap for ya. ;)