PDA

View Full Version : Autopatcher

gum digger
11-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi
Just came know about the AutoPatcher concepthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoPatcher

I just wanted to know weather this is safe?.
On Wiki it says its mostly suitable for ppl who format their installation alot. is that tru?
If something goes wrong can we roll back?.
Can we customize the update.? so if i wanted to only install 2 update out of 100 can i do it?

Thats it for now.

Speedy Gonzales
11-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Dont know never used it.

I just reinstall the updates I've downloaded onto a spare partition.

Only way to find out, is to try it. And see if u get the option to deselect/untick whatever options.

Neil McC
11-12-2006, 12:56 PM
I downloaded the light version (AutoPatcher XP AUGUST06 Lite). As you can see it was all essentials updated to Aug 06.The full one has Media Player etc, which I have no interest in.
Had an old pc that was failing and knew that I had to buy another for my sister to use.So when I found a second hand unit (legal Windows XP Home on it), it was easy to install all the updates to August, and just let it get the latest from Micro.
You have the choice when you run the program to select/ not select all the updates/patches it tells you you need.
Probably won't use it again as I make an image of the drive after all installs, but you never Know!!

beama
11-12-2006, 04:20 PM
its good
When I build a new image for machines I use autopatcher rather than downloading from M$ all the updates install sp2 then autopatcher for the updates I just keep it on a network share.

zqwerty
11-12-2006, 05:03 PM
What's the difference between Full, Lite, Update and Beta?

Read about this at the bottom of this link, before you do anything:

http://www.autopatcher.com/downloads/

Before you install have a really good look at the options offered in the install process, especially the tweaks available. You can start the program anytime and add more so best to be on the light side with tweaks until you know what you are up to.

It all seems to work very well with no spyware etc, I am impressed with the whole idea.

gum digger
11-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Does it fiddle with WGA ?. i dont want to get the counterfiet error after installing it.

zqwerty
11-12-2006, 08:51 PM
No, WGA comes as an optional install with AutoPatcher. You are in control of the entire process from start to finish, as I said do a good check of all the options as you install and take your time, once you start the process you will see how easy it is and as a bonus you can copy the AutoPatcher entry in Program Files to a CD and then just put that onto any install you do again and run the .exe from there. This helps when you have started with a Full Install, as you have to, then each month you just add the Updates successively, so when you do another install you don't have to go through the process of installing the Full version plus all the Updates before you run AutoPatcher because they are on the CD that you burnt.

Myth
11-12-2006, 11:51 PM
I've only used it to create an XP SP2 disc from an original XP disc (with license) and an SP2 disc. Worked a charm :)

Chilling_Silence
11-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Go for it! This software rocks!

I used it as soon as SP2 came out to slipstream it into the ISO (or was it AutoStreamer? Its like its Big Brother or something) and it made life so much easier when installing machines for customers while working at the Cybercafe.. this was all before the official MS discs with SP2 came out. Honestly, give it a whirl, there's nothing bad about it, its good, clean, decent software, and I'll give it my seal of approval ;)

gum digger
12-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Ok thanks Chilling and rest of the techie.

Greg
12-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Let us know how you find it k.

FoxyMX
12-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Let us know how you find it k.

'Tis good... nay, it's great! I use it for updating PCs that require more than the latest crop of MS updates and for after a reformat.

Like zqwerty says, you do need to go through all the options to choose the ones you want, and it does have some neat tweaks and "extras", eg turning off the balloon prompts and other registry tweaks, the WinXP image resizer, the Royale WinXP theme and lots of other goodies.

It would, however, have limited use for those who rarely format or who save the updates to their hard drive rather than allow them to be installed automatically. Mind you, the former takes forever to install them all what with constant rebooting between each one whereas once you have chosen your options in AutoPatcher you just let her rip and away she goes.