PDA

View Full Version : No internet connection.

R.M.
11-12-2006, 09:53 AM
:help: Please be patient with me - I'm at work (so I have internet connection, but my pc is at home - obviously!)

Yesterday in the middle of the afternoon I lost connection (and no, I hadn't been fiddling this time). I have Xtra $39 internet connection. I rang Xtra this morning and worked through the diagnostics with them. At the end of the conversation, the girl said she couldn't help me any more - I would have to get a tech to help. So.... I thought I would start here.

She says she thinks that some firewall/antivirus program is getting in the way, but I haven't changed anything there for quite a while. I run Avg, Zonealarm and the Lavasoft one. My OS is Windows XP Pro, with all the updates up to date.

When going through the diagnostics with the Xtra lass - it said that the 'Realtek Lan was not connected' and when we tried to repair that, it was unsuccessful.

So - suggestions please? Or is this something I have to take to a repair place? What about you pctek? I live in Invercargill - you've probably worked that out already?

Cheers, and TIA.
R.M.

R.M.
11-12-2006, 10:02 AM
I forgot to mention - I have one of the Xtra modems, along with a Belkin G router (the $99 from Harvey Noman to connect to my laptop wirelessly).:o

PaulD
11-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Have you tried connecting directly to the router to eliminate a wireless problem? An ethernet connection would bring the Realtek lan on the laptop into use.

R.M.
11-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes - I thought about doing that just after I posted the last post. Will try that when I get home. :)

R.M.
11-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Hullo everyone - had another conversation with the Xtra help desk (and by this stage I had taken out the Belkin wireless router, reset and started the modem several times!) - the solution to the problem was resetting the user name and password. All is now well with the world. :)

And I have also reinstalled the wireless network again, so my laptop is once again connected wirelessly.:thumbs: