PDA

View Full Version : Background downloading

music_man
10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi

We are a little worried on our Telstra account... We are worried that we use 80% of our broadband limit in 1 day...

We don't download much and I as a website designer, primarily upload and download pages, not the stuff of 800Mb worth.

I decided to investigate and I downloaded a broadband meter.

I turned off MSN and Gmail notifier and can't think of anything else that should be downloading. I have Windows defender up-to-date and same with AVG.

It is downloading at about 8.2Kbps and just keeps going and going, clocking up the Megabytes.

I spend long hours in front of the comptuer and this explains a lot. So... Should I install a firewall?

Sweep
10-12-2006, 07:31 PM
A firewall is the first thing I install after a format of a drive.

Well sorry. I install a firewall after installing the operating system and all hardware. I do this before I connect to the Internet.

Even the default Windows XP one is better than nothing.

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Well I would install some kind of firewall, even if you're on bb.

Being on a fast internet connection, doesnt mean u shouldnt have a firewall installed.

Altho it doesnt mean this will lessen what u get. The firewall will still ask u to allow or deny access to whatever.

And you'll still have to make sure u allow programs that need access, or else they wont work properly.

XP's firewall is OK, but if you get something nasty like a trojan XP's firewall wont stop it.

stu161204
10-12-2006, 07:32 PM
What sort of Telstra account do you have? cable or ADSL?

How big is your bandwidth cap?

If you have ADSL, do you connect via a router?, if so does the router have a firewall & is it on?

developer
10-12-2006, 07:37 PM
firewall + spybot

Vince
11-12-2006, 02:06 AM
Any good firewall will prevent unauthorized outgoing traffic, (like dialers or trogen horses) :eek: connecting to priemium rate phone, or internet services on the other side of the world costing several $$$ per minute and using up your bandwidth!:)

Greg
11-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Should I install a firewall?Emphatically YES!

FoxyMX
11-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Are you using wireless at all?