PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV as PC monitor. True???

allblack
10-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi all.

Two retailers have told me I can use any LCD TV as a computer monitor.

Is this true? Are there any compromises/curve-balls they are selectively not telling me? I'm assuming it's all above board as the TV's are advertised with "PC Inputs"....but is this telling the whole story?

Harvey Norman have done me a killer deal on a 50" Sony Bravia LCD Rear-Projection...and the thought of using it as a monitor has huge appeal :D

But is it all as it seems.....?

Cheers
TM

trinsic
10-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Make sure it has VGA or other connection options designed for PC use and you should be sweet.

TeejayR
10-12-2006, 05:46 PM
I've got the 42" version of thei set - and it definitely has analogue video (described as D-Sub 15 pin analogue RGB) and a 3.5mm stereo minijack for Audio.

If you going to go ahead with it I suggest you look at the manual as it has some signal compatibility issues on a separate page to the specs.

allblack
10-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Cheers for that.
T

maccrazy
10-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Most LCD TVs only have a resolution of 1366 x 768 which lower than regular monitors. Even TVs with 1920 x 1080 will have pixels significantly larger than a regular monitor because they only make them 40-inchs and bigger. Personally I wouldn't do it because I like to have the highest resolution possible (especially with resolution independent interfaces coming out next year for Mac OS X).

godfather
10-12-2006, 08:35 PM
TV's have a much lower pixel count per sq cm than a TV monitor, so it will look OK as a monitor from across the room (or in the case of a 50" from the next suburb) but up close you may go blind, the individual pixel size is large.

allblack
11-12-2006, 06:11 AM
Thanks Goddie...on reflection I'm already thinking 50" is too much.....even a 42" could be pushing things.....but interesting comments anyway.

Cheers

gum digger
11-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Do your google or pf1 before you ask any of those retailers for suggestion. lol. Not all of them are like that though. Harvey Norman has high standards they have regular weekly training from suppliers which are paid. but dse and pacific retailers ( hill & stewart, noel) nope!