PDA

View Full Version : laptop = PC ?

newb.
10-12-2006, 09:39 AM
stupid question, i know. but a laptop can be is a personal computer isn't it?

what other computers can be considered "personal"?

Jen
10-12-2006, 10:30 AM
All you need to know about Personal computers: Personal computer -from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer).

Basically a Personal Computer (PC) means IBM PC compatible. Technically a MacIntosh (Apple) is not considered a PC because it is not IBM compatible. Although that may be considered an historical designation now as they are now being used with Intel chips which are IBM compatible.

I have probably got some of that explanation wrong, so undoubtly someone will correct me. :p

pcuser42
10-12-2006, 10:38 AM
All computers running Wondows or Linux, IMO, are PCs............................................... .................................otherwise, its a Mac (everyone, turn to beetles method.........................dots :p)

Metla
10-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Assign your own wallpaper...BANG, shes personalized.

Solved.

Next.

R2x1
10-12-2006, 12:00 PM
ROFL :D:D A classic !

Greven
10-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Assign your own wallpaper...BANG, shes personalized.

Solved.

Next.

Does that mean that a locked down business machine isn't a PC?

Metla
10-12-2006, 01:27 PM
It means trying to pick apart a smart-arse quip is a redundant exorcise.

Greg
10-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Does that mean that a locked down business machine isn't a PC?PC has really become a generic term for any computer that isn't running Mac o/s. It's more commonly applied to desktop machines rather than lappies, but in modern parlance they're all PC's if not running Mac.

pctek
10-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Personal Computer - one that sits on your desk at home - as opposed to warehouse sized mainframes.
At least that was the meaning when they first came out........

plod
10-12-2006, 09:37 PM
All you need to know about Personal computers: Personal computer -from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer).

Basically a Personal Computer (PC) means IBM PC compatible. Technically a MacIntosh (Apple) is not considered a PC because it is not IBM compatible. Although that may be considered an historical designation now as they are now being used with Intel chips which are IBM compatible.

I have probably got some of that explanation wrong, so undoubtly someone will correct me. :p
Jen, you should really have a read of your link you posted..

A personal computer (PC) is usually a microcomputer whose price, size, and capabilities make it suitable for personal usage. The term was popularized by Apple Computer with the Apple II in the late-1970s and early-1980s, and afterwards by IBM with the IBM Personal Computer. Today, PC usually means IBM PC compatible.
seems to be the oposite to what you said

Jen
10-12-2006, 09:43 PM
I did read it ... sort of.

A leading alternative to the IBM-compatible PC is the Macintosh (thus the commonly heard comparative, "PC vs. Mac"). The Macintosh originally used the Motorola 68000 series, then shifted to the IBM and Motorola PowerPC processors. In January, 2006, Apple shifted its architecture to the same Intel processor family found in IBM compatibles.

I did say it was a historical designation.

beeswax34
11-12-2006, 02:08 AM
What about Pocket PC's??? Are they still PC's because they are IBM compatible and run Windows.