PDA

View Full Version : problems with an xp machine

wotz
09-12-2006, 02:06 PM
when booting up it now stops at the screen to select the user to log on. It never used to. it had stopped being able to access the net (broadband). simple tcp/ip was not installed (presume it was but something killed it). Reinstalled it but the service was unable to start because the system was in safe mode (it wasn't). I booted into safe mode with networking and could access the web with firefox. Tried to update AVG but got a message about it being corrupt. Reinstalled but failed as it couldn't start in safe mode. Tried again not in safe mode, but same error. Now no AV installed. Firefox worked for a short time but now times out. I'm guessing their is some nasty virus / malware causing the problem, but have been unable to identify it. Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Post a hijackthis log here, so we can see whats in it.

Sweep
09-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Does the computer boot at the moment and stop at the Logon screen? Or what?

I read your post several times but I can't comprehend where you are up to at this time.

You say now and I think the computer boots. Have you a firewall? If I am doing an install I never connect to the internet untill such time as I have a firewall and AV installed.

Hopefully you have got the AV downloaded. I pull the power plug on my modem and install what I want before I get on the net.

wotz
09-12-2006, 03:03 PM
I have run hijackthis log through the online analyser. There were a couple of entries I deleted as a result.

It does stop at the screen to select the user - it never used to. There are only 2 users, 1 is the administrator.

AV wouldn't start - the message said the service couldn't start in safe mode - its not in safe mode.

Can't get a browser to load any pages.

pctek
09-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Reinstall time.

Or.....
do a reapir install the install Av and all antispywares too. Run the lot and clean everythig out.
And turn off System Restore to clear out the old restore points.

drcspy
09-12-2006, 03:35 PM
run a drive diagnostic and a memory diagnostic if they show up ok then run a repair install.......