PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a secondry Hard Drive

lukey
09-12-2006, 12:12 PM
My Hard Disk Is Low and I would like to know how to put a Second Hard Drive in.

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2006, 12:21 PM
You'll have to buy another hdd and connect it to the secondary ide connection on the motherboard. However this wont extend the space on the hard drive thats already installed.

You'll have to uninstall some programs or use something like ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com) to get rid of the temp files etc on the hdd u have now.

Other than that, you'll have to buy a bigger hdd (to replace the hdd thats installed now), and reinstall windows on it.

Sweep
09-12-2006, 01:11 PM
You get all the data you need to keep off the hard drive you have at the moment. This just documents, downloads, emails, bookmarks and pictures etc. Preferably copy all those to a CD or DVD so you have a copy of all you have created. This step can be skipped if you have backups

Take the current HD out next.

Buy the new hard drive and install as a master drive. Then install your operating system of choice on the new hard drive using your CDs that one hopes you have. Having done that next install motherboard drivers and drivers for other hardware like printers, sound cards, tv cards etc. Then install all programs you need.

Pop the current hard drive back in the case and make it a slave drive using the jumper on the back of the drive. All info on your current hard drive will still be there and you can copy back to the new. Do not expect to copy windows or programs from the old to new drive. You can then format the old drive (current) for more storage.

If you give us more info then I guess some may improve the advice.

If you have an HP or IBM or other brand name computer then it is likely you have a hidden partition on your current hard drive.

pctek
09-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Why would he want to do that Sweep? If you use the new bigger hard drive as your main drive the easiest way would be to Ghost the contents of the old one across to the new one.

Or as has been said, the old one can stay as is, make some more room on it - and put the new drive in as slave.