PDA

View Full Version : Photography Question

Poppa John
09-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Metla did explain all this to me , but.... Being quite deaf & having short term memory problems I still don't understand. Perhaps some one could explain for me.

Maryann is seriously into digital photograpgy. Her Computer is slow when working on pictures. We have :- XP Home SP2....CPU is AMDAthlon XP 1500MHz (4.5 x 333) 1700+. MB is ECS KM400-M Deluxe/KM40m2. MB chipset is VIA VT8378 (A) Unichrome KM400 (A). Video adaptor VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP (32MB) ( Everest says there are two of these ?). 3D Accelerator is VIA/S3 Unichrome. RAM is...512 (480) MB DDR SDRAM.

I think Metla said that photography was memory intensive. I asked if we should increase the RAM to 1 GB. & after that I cannot remember, except there was something about a Video or graghics card. Can some one give me an explanation in simple English Please. PJ (In serious mode). Thankyyou.

plod
09-12-2006, 12:01 PM
lots of ram. not sure about the video card,I didn't think it was that important, but about to be proved wrong

Nomad
09-12-2006, 01:40 PM
RAM yes, vid card no.
If she is dealing with big files namely RAW or TIF or higher resolutions a dual core will be handy, also if she is say batch loading a process for a set of photo's.

If she is into it she may look into monitor calibrator as well.

For ram 1GB should be enof, if not 2GB.

Sweep
09-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Based on what I see in your post you appear to have on board video hence the 512 Meg RAM less the 32 Meg for video equaling 480 Meg.

When you say "working on pictures." could you tell us which application is being used? Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Irfanview or what?

What is Maryann trying to do with the pictures?

I would certainly up the ram to 1 Gig. Maybe even just buy a video card with dedicated memory (ram) so you can use your 512. Photoshop will take all the ram you can throw at it plus a dedicated partition for a swap file as well.

pctek
09-12-2006, 03:12 PM
My father uses photoshop - he used to be a pro photographer, now dabbles with digital.
He has 512Mb recently increased from 256mb.
He has an FX5200 graphics card and a 2000+ CPU.

He has never complained to me about problems working with photos in photoshop.

Metla
09-12-2006, 03:19 PM
RAM yes, vid card no.
If she is dealing with big files namely RAW or TIF or higher resolutions a dual core will be handy, also if she is say batch loading a process for a set of photo's.

If she is into it she may look into monitor calibrator as well.

For ram 1GB should be enof, if not 2GB.

Go away.

Metla
09-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Alrighty, Yep, I suggested a video card so that the image on screen would be held in dedicated video-ram, and from memory the cpu is a 2200 Sempron, and the pic program is probably Adobe Elements.

I haven't yet managed to call in and look at this PC recently but I do know that since it was first setup multiple items have been added into startup with scant regard for performance (and I have suggested these be edited but as I said I haven't yet sat down at the PC for a good look).

The system should have plenty of grunt to run photo-manipulation applications, Though keep in mind that a rig such as mine can "feel the load" with some editing tasks.

Anyhow, Imo, she needs a tune up, a dedicated video chipset is also a good idea (for all and every PC) and we may need to up the ram but only if its insisted that the system be run poorly configured, otherwise 512mb is plenty.

bob_doe_nz
09-12-2006, 03:28 PM
He has never complained to me about problems working with photos in photoshop.

He's not as impatient as this generation...

Nomad
09-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Depends on file and what the job is, a dSLR 10MP can be a 12MB file in RAW, convert to TIF on Photoshop it gets to 24MB and then if you use 16 bit file its a 50MB size before any manipulation or multiple layers.
If its in JPG it would be a diff story.
If one choose to use HDR it jumps up by another fold or more.

Poppa John
09-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Come on people, I did ask for simple English. This is Simple Poppa John you are talking to !!! PJ
Maryann, now, is much more intelligent, & better looking. PJ

Metla
09-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Ignore it, Someone is throwing out big words and numbers to prop up the fluff posted earlier. None of it applies.

pctek
09-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Metla says you need a separate graphics card - not the built into the motherboard one you have.

I'd agree as my father has only 512mb and runs Photoshop fine. He does have a separate graphics card - although not a particular new or powerful one.

But its better than onboard graphics.

So get Metla to install one.

Shortcircuit
09-12-2006, 06:29 PM
I had pretty much the set-up that Pctek's dad had and ran graphics progs (with really big files etc) no problem with 512 ram and a GT5200 video card. You should allow the graphics prog to a large chunk of memory as 'swap file' so things don't slow down when working on large files.

Sweep
09-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Come on people, I did ask for simple English. This is Simple Poppa John you are talking to !!! PJ
Maryann, now, is much more intelligent, & better looking. PJ

Well this does not tell me which photo manipulation software is being used and what for. This is a simple question in English for which I have not yet received an answer. I don't think you are dopey or stupid.

You appear to use an onboard graphic card and I took the time to notice you have an AGP slot in which you put another video card. AGP will presumably fit.

Sweep
09-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I had pretty much the set-up that Pctek's dad had and ran graphics progs (with really big files etc) no problem with 512 ram and a GT5200 video card. You should allow the graphics prog to a large chunk of memory as 'swap file' so things don't slow down when working on large files.

Large chunk of hard drive space as a swap file I think. Even its own partition.
Different to memory or RAM.

Poppa John
09-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Well this does not tell me which photo manipulation software is being used and what for. This is a simple question in English for which I have not yet received an answer. I don't think you are dopey or stupid.

You appear to use an onboard graphic card and I took the time to notice you have an AGP slot in which you put another video card. AGP will presumably fit.

Maryann says it is Photoshop Elements 2. Does that help? We also have Picassa 2. PJ

Poppa John
09-12-2006, 08:06 PM
What size Rams do these graphics cards have on them? PJ.

Shortcircuit
09-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Large chunk of hard drive space as a swap file I think. Even its own partition.
Different to memory or RAM.

Can't say that I ever said it was the same as ram :mad:

And to try and answer PJ's last question, most of the cheaper graphics cards I think have about 128mb of on-board memory with the more expensive ones 256mb. It is my understanding (and I'm sure Pctek or someone more knowledgeable will clarify it) that more graphics card memory is really only useful if watching/converting video... and won't make much difference when working with photos or images.

Shortstop
09-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Tugging my forelock in the direction of Metla who is obviously a computer guru, I do wonder whether he has the time or patience for image manipulation. If you're using images from a 4 or 5 MP camera in Photoshop Elements, with layers you can easily be tying up 750 MB or more of RAM dedicated to Photoshop. Therefore having 1GB OF RAM installed is of real benefit and Maryann would notice the difference. Pretty cheap these days too.

Metla
09-12-2006, 09:53 PM
The benifit is that it free's up the system ram and removes a chokepoint/ bottle neck, anyhow, I have a card that will suit and I told PJ this a week ago.

The real problem isn't what the PC needs, Just that I haven't yet managed to walk the 54m between our houses and actually do it....

Shortcircuit
09-12-2006, 09:59 PM
54 metres?!!!

My letter box is further than that... mind you, those video cards are damn heavy to carry :D

Metla
09-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Tugging my forelock in the direction of Metla who is obviously a computer guru, I do wonder whether he has the time or patience for image manipulation. If you're using images from a 4 or 5 MP camera in Photoshop Elements, with layers you can easily be tying up 750 MB or more of RAM dedicated to Photoshop. Therefore having 1GB OF RAM installed is of real benefit and Maryann would notice the difference. Pretty cheap these days too.

Ugh, They are not using layers, and I have been usung Photoshop extensivly since 3 or 4.......

anyhow, Let me remove the video card limitation (as I have a spare video card) and give the system a tune up before I go installing more ram.Like I said the issue isn't about what needs to be done, but about getting there to do it.

Metla
09-12-2006, 10:04 PM
54 metres?!!!

My letter box is further than that... mind you, those video cards are damn heavy to carry :D

Yeah well, In my defense I work long hours and Im incredibly lazy:rolleyes:

Lmao.

Though in truth most weekends I need to let the brain relax.....

Greg
10-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Though in truth most weekends I need to let the brain relax.....LOL That's one hell of a supposition! :D

Shortcircuit
10-12-2006, 07:31 AM
LOL That's one hell of a supposition! :D

I googled that word as I didn't know what it meant... that's a painful place to stick medicine for a headache. Perhaps if Metla spent less time on the throne relaxing the brain? :D :D

Greg
10-12-2006, 08:21 AM
I googled that word as I didn't know what it meant... that's a painful place to stick medicine for a headache. Perhaps if Metla spent less time on the throne relaxing the brain? :D :D

:lol: But I think when googling you must have found 'suppository' instead of something that one supposes, or assumes. :thumbs:

Shortcircuit
10-12-2006, 09:18 AM
:lol: But I think when googling you must have found 'suppository' instead of something that one supposes, or assumes. :thumbs:

No, I googled 'place to put a large supposition'... brought up a lot of PF1 threads about Metla as well :illogical

Poppa John
10-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Leave the Lad alone, he is doing his best. PJ

Metla
10-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Actually, Im sitting on the couch restng my brain........:D

Poppa John
10-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Another question? With a graphics card installed, does the camera plug into the card at the back of 'The Tin Box' or still into the USB socket? PJ

Greg
10-12-2006, 02:05 PM
The USB socket.

Poppa John
10-12-2006, 02:10 PM
The USB socket.

OK PJ.

So the Graphics card is internal & has no outside connections? PJ

Poppa John
10-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Actually, Im sitting on the couch restng my brain........:D

Sigh. PJ

Shortcircuit
10-12-2006, 03:52 PM
No PJ, your monitor will plug into the video card... a VGA or DVI socket (or both) that sticks out the back of the case.

Wait till Metla gets there... should be about half way by now if he didn't get side tracked :p

Poppa John
10-12-2006, 04:36 PM
He's asleep, I don't want to wake him up. How do I know? I can hear the SNORING. PJ

Metla
10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Right, Thats the tree trimming, 2 trips to the landfill, the edging, and half the lawns mowed, Now for the evening meal, cleaning up, bath the kid, put him to bed, mow the rest of the lawns, re-pack the wagon for work tommorrow and then i'll be free, should be around midnight.

Poppa John
10-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Been there done that !!! PJ:)

Don't worry about it, all good things take time to happen, says the cheese advert, PJ

Shortcircuit
10-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Right, Thats the tree trimming, 2 trips to the landfill, the edging, and half the lawns mowed, Now for the evening meal, cleaning up, bath the kid, put him to bed, mow the rest of the lawns, re-pack the wagon for work tommorrow and then i'll be free, should be around midnight.

Did the missus run off with John Hawksby to an island of sin and debauchery? You better have those lawns finished before dark, mowing by braile ain't fun :help:

Metla
10-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Just for clarification, I meant the eating of the evening meal, Not the preparing, Thats womens work.

Heh heh heh.

Though thanks to the deluded feminist leanings of the last 3 or 4 generations of women I do somehow have to help with the cleaning up and putting to bed.

To bring balance back to the issue I'm brainwashing my son into believing he is a supreme being, If that doesn't work out for him he can discuss it with his counselor later in life.