PDA

View Full Version : zone alarm pro, 302g, port forwarding, and torrents

jesse_jax
07-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Ok so after port forwarding with this method:

1. go run and type "cmd" and press enter
2. Type "telnet 10.1.1.1" and press enter
3. Login to the console using the username admin password admin (or whatever you may have changed the admin password to)
4. Type "create nat rule entry ruleid "ANY NUMBER" rdr lcladdrfrom "YOUR IP" lcladdrto "YOUR IP" destportfrom num "PORT" destportto num :PORT" lclport num "PORT"" press enter
5. Type "commit" press enter
6. Type "exit" - done!

taken from http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?p=496464

then i did THIS:

http://www.firewalling.com/personalfirewalls/ZoneAlarmPro.htm

BUT i dont know if it worked, because the zone alarm entry i put in disappears everytime i restart zone alarm aka restart my comp etc.

so anyway im using utorrent, and i can download torrents with it but my upload speed is 0.0kb/s, which im sure is making my torrents go EXTRA slow..plus some torrent sites make it so you have to have a certain ratio to stay with them.. i barely use torrents, just to get the of a episode i missed of the od show etc..but when i do use them i want as fast as i can posibly get, and im sure you would too.

so can someone please fill me in, this is really bugging me eh...on my old hdd which use to be master, it worked fine...but that was with zone alarm free edition...so ya anyway any help would be appreciated.

FoxyMX
07-12-2006, 10:55 PM
There have been numerous complaints on this forum about ZA and (its lack of) port forwarding so I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. :rolleyes:

Master_Frost
08-12-2006, 06:30 PM
There have been numerous complaints on this forum about ZA and (its lack of) port forwarding so I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. :rolleyes:

Agreed, ditch ZA if you P2P. Even though you give the app ie"utorrent" full access it often won't forward properly.

Its a hunk of junk, fine for noobs I guess.

jesse_jax
08-12-2006, 07:30 PM
could you please recommend a firewall that is just as good if not better, thanks.

Master_Frost
08-12-2006, 10:16 PM
I use Outpost myself as It is easy to use, still has the "allow application full access", but ALSO manually configurable for port forwarding and advanced rules.

Has a great network activity area to see everything that is happening on your network. Does not report every ping and legit scan as a hacker attack like... um yea

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/download.php[/url]

I hear Kerio it pretty good too, and also has a free version.

Chilling_Silence
08-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Dont worry, its probably not (just) ZoneAlarm. The 302g doesnt support port-forwarding without a Static IP address.
Yes, the upload will be affected by this too, and because you're uploading pathetically you'll get shoddy downloads too.

Unless you've got a static IP, another router is in order sorry....

Master_Frost
08-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Dont worry, its probably not (just) ZoneAlarm. The 302g doesnt support port-forwarding without a Static IP address.
Yes, the upload will be affected by this too, and because you're uploading pathetically you'll get shoddy downloads too.

I have to admit you are right.

The 302g is also a poor port forwarder. I got one free a few years back when I joined Xtra (left since). Long story short, I have never had a problem setting up a forward on any router, but that thing just wouldn't forward even after a factory firmware upgrade (and several days of trying).

Needless to say its sitting in the attic.

Chilling_Silence is right you may well have two problems.

FoxyMX
09-12-2006, 10:06 AM
could you please recommend a firewall that is just as good if not better, thanks.

Sygate.

jesse_jax
11-12-2006, 08:19 PM

i got a static ip AND i got 700kbps upload speed(around 80kb/s)...so...ya

thanks for the firewalls, think i might use sp2 firewall for now, ill try the others when i have time or when i get hacked, which ever happens first lol.

stu161204
11-12-2006, 08:32 PM
thanks for the firewalls, think i might use sp2 firewall for now, ill try the others when i have time or when i get hacked, which ever happens first lol.

That’s just silly (& / or stupid) :groan: :stare: :illogical , you should at lest use the firewall in your router (if you have one in it).

dbs
11-12-2006, 08:36 PM
never had a prob with zonealarm / p2p

jesse_jax
11-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Thatís just silly (& / or stupid) :groan: :stare: :illogical , you should at lest use the firewall in your router (if you have one in it).

sp2 firewall is fine, i used it up until a few months ago when i decided i might try zone alarm...i never got hacked in the 2 years i only used sp2 firewall..