PDA

View Full Version : few questions

newb.
07-12-2006, 12:10 PM
ok, so i have a few questions i hope someone can clear up for me :)

1) could you consider a hard drive to be a sort of memory? like rom.. I know it isn't or couldn't be ram, but is it rom?

2) how do you change the color of your monitor? like for example, the other day i noticed someone was sitting with a screen that was green and another guy had his set to blue, was it software that they were both running or is there some configuration you can set on your monitor?

3) where are microcontrollers used? like can you give me an example?

many thanks,

newb.

Rob99
07-12-2006, 12:15 PM
1) kinda, no
2) graphics card properties or via the buttons on the monitor
3) here (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/microcontroller.htm) and here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcontroller)

tweak'e
07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
1) yes. the hardrive is often used as ram eg virtual memory. rom stands for Read Only Memory so no.

R2x1
07-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Ram is for short term storage, accessible very fast for reading and writing. It is cleared at shut down.
A hard drive is for longer term storage, it holds a lot of data but is a bit slow for frequently accessed data, the data is stored magnetically so it remains through shut downs.
Rom is read only memory, it stores basic data about your system.

The colour schemes on different computers could be varied in many ways, try right clicking on a blank area of the desktop, select properties, then themes, and you can select a few different choices (or make your own theme). Or right click on a blank area of the desktop, select properties, then appearance and try a few variations.
Messing with themes and colour schemes is sometimes called "futzing" and is a substitute for working :D

Cars for example can use microcontrollers to control various systems, such as engine management, ABS systems etc. Some bread makers use a microcontroller to run the different stages of whatever options you select. A washing machine could use a microcontroller to regulate the washing process.