PDA

View Full Version : Random opening of CD tray

gradebdan
06-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi
About once every couple of hours my comp. cd tray decides to open. It does not seem to make any difference as to what site I am on or even if not on the internet. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening.

Master_Frost
06-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi
About once every couple of hours my comp. cd tray decides to open. It does not seem to make any difference as to what site I am on or even if not on the internet. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening.

Is there a CD in the drive when it opens? Thinking maybe it is having read.tracking errors and ejecting.

Secondly you may have spyware/Virus or a Trojan etc. Some "mainstream" Trojan have options to eject CDROM or flip screen etc on the victims machine, all fairly funny (unless you are the victim)

gradebdan
06-12-2006, 09:16 PM
The cd tray is empty.

Renmoo
07-12-2006, 12:06 AM
As Master Frost suggest, one of the reasons that could account for this is due to the presence of trojans in your computer. If you are absolutely lost as to what trojans are about, I suggest you check out our FAQ on malware -> http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Spyware%2C_Adware_%26_Viruses

Cheers :)

FoxyMX
07-12-2006, 04:28 PM
About once every couple of hours my comp. cd tray decides to open.

Sounds like you may have something installed that prompts the tray to open. Do you share your PC with other people, or has someone else used your PC lately?

Have a sniff around Program Files or Add/Remove programs or use HijackThis to see if anything strange is installed.

Jen
07-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Your CD optical device may also just be showing a hardware fault with the drive. Are you able to try the CD drive in another computer to see if it displays the same problem?

Poppa John
08-12-2006, 11:25 AM
The cd tray is empty.

The CD tray is empty. It is telling you that it is time to make a cup of tea/coffee & place it in the CD saucer supplied . Obvious really. PJ:lol: :lol:

beetle
08-12-2006, 11:47 AM
PJ Hot chocolate with Marshmallows is much better, but if thats not possible coffee............:p

i would have said an electrical fault as well........or is it thinking its not able to read and ejects....... my dad had a dvd player like that...... couldnt read the disk..even if there wasnt one, and out it would pop.... and i promise i havent been near yours or anyone else's machines for yonks......... ive not managed to kill anything electrical for ages............ not sure why.

:D Dots!!!!!

:illogical
beetle

R2x1
08-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Are your powers waning beetle? Surely not! At least the dots are back ;)

Never mind the anti-virus scans, have the computer exorcised.

Poppa John
08-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Are your powers waning beetle? Surely not! At least the dots are back ;)

Never mind the anti-virus scans, have the computer exorcised.

Does that mean taking it for walkies, on a lead, like the dog. ? PJ

R2x1
08-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Nope PJ, LOL, dogs have to be registered and restrained, the 'puter can get a bit of exorcise on it's way down from the 3rd floor balcony. May even be a lifetime supply.

beetle
08-12-2006, 08:47 PM
A new form of jumpstarting the puter?

:lol:

jumpers not needed?

beetle

Jen
08-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Talk about thread hijacking. :rolleyes:

Gradebdan, how are you getting on with your problem?

FoxyMX
09-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Talk about thread hijacking. :rolleyes:

That's what happens when people get bored waiting for feedback. ;)

Gradebdan, how are you getting on with your problem?

We might never get to know, as is often the case. :groan:

Tony S.
09-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Hey guys, this might sound a bit weird to all u hi-tech guys, but I had the same prob once, and found that the open eject button was stuck in. Try getting a pin or something sharp and just lever the button back out a fraction. It worked it my instance, hope it may be of some help.