PDA

View Full Version : Video Streaming - Start/Stop. Is it because of slow BB?

ephesus
06-12-2006, 05:52 PM
I have been streaming video on WMP for a while now and until the last 2 days, every time was good. In the last couple of days, the video streaming keep stopping/buffering/starting which is really annoying when you want to watch the latest news on PC. I have check my BB speed and this give various speed depending on the site I checked with. These are:

Morning.
Xtra speed test. 4452 kbps
Internet Frog. 145kbps.....Yes 145kbps.
Speedtest.net. 2320 kbps.

Afternoon.
Xtra speed test. 4447 kbps
Internet Frog. 128kbps
Speedtest.net. 4300kbps

I suspect my BB is slower as some webpages are loading slower than usual. VOIP quality varies. I am suspect of the Xtra speed test and wonder if anyone can advise a reliable speed test site. I have called Xtra to check and they have suggested keeping a record of the test and emailed back to them.

Any other suggestion to improve my video streaming experience? Thanks in advance.

mmmork
07-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Dunno what the prob is, but try hitting pause, wait a bit, make a cup of tea or even just wait 20sec, then play it.

Not ideal I know and doesn't solve your query, but allowing it to buffer up a bigger chunk at least means no stop-starting while you're watching which is better than nothing.

KiwiTT_NZ
07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
From the Menu in WMP

Tools -> Options -> Performance

Select your speed and also select how long you want to buffer.

yzhu
07-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Are you on Xtra Go Large cos in my experience the international speeds plummeted this Monday for me.

SolMiester
07-12-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm on the Pro plan and that sometimes happens to me also...We have a poor sized pipe to overseas servers so we will always suffer poor streaming

ephesus
07-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Are you on Xtra Go Large cos in my experience the international speeds plummeted this Monday for me.

Yes on extra GO Large and seems to have started earlier this week as well - coincidence???

ephesus
07-12-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm on the Pro plan and that sometimes happens to me also...We have a poor sized pipe to overseas servers so we will always suffer poor streaming

As I said it was working perfectly fine before...I suspect this has to do with our incumbent Telco...probabably a ploy to restrict what users can do for now...next stop...new unencumbered plans :mad:

yzhu
07-12-2006, 07:33 PM
The speeds were like this on Go Large before (approx.) 17th of November when the speeds increased to decent ones. Then at the start of this week it went back to those slow speeds again. Definitely something going on at Xtra on Go Large, which hasn't got anything to do with local exchange congestion etc... imo they do have a big enough pipe for international (if not, why could they do ~2.5Mbps speeds weeks ago), they're just not using it, or are shaping it now.