PDA

View Full Version : linux + windows games = failure?

motorbyclist
05-12-2006, 10:49 PM
ok, i know this may seem a silly question, but how difficult would it be to get windows applications (namely games such as FEAR, Farcry, Battlefield etc etc) to run on linux, specifically ubuntu 6.06 LTS?

and if the answer is "not very difficult at all", would it matter if i use the 64bit version or the 32bit version?

my brother's registry got raped by a virus and now he wants to give linux a go, but i have been under the understanding linux isn't any good for gaming which is the sole purpose for his rig - am i wrong (i hope i am)

i did try google but to avail

also, is networking going to become notworking? all the other machines on our network are windows xp pro, so i don't know how well the file sharing will work:confused:

cheers, i do want to learn more about linux, so any hints and/or tips are totally welcome, just try not to argue over which linux flavour is better unless it pertains to my original question:rolleyes:

estarriol
05-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Go here: http://www.transgaming.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&file=index&func=display&ceid=29

and read..It may cost a bit (no idea) but I've heard that Cedega is a good Linux/Windows gaming tool.

hope this helps

Al

motorbyclist
05-12-2006, 11:54 PM
well it sounds good and somewhat confirms my supspicions about linux gaming....
the reason for the shift to linux is that it is much less vunerable to viruses, and is free - paying for that isn't going to happen if we can avoid it

cheers for your first post anyway:thumbs:

welcome to pf1:D

TGoddard
06-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Switching to Linux purely for cost reasons is almost inevitably a foolish decision. There are plenty of other reasons to switch, but I won't rant here.

I don't believe any of the games mentioned have a positive report in the WINE application database (http://appdb.winehq.org). Transgaming's offering may have better support for DirectX and as a result work properly with these games, although I haven't tried it.

I'm afraid to say that the best way to run Windows games is with Windows. Getting a binary application to run on a platform it hasn't been designed for is difficult at best, and support is still pretty patchy. I would recommend using Windows for trivial activities (i.e. gaming) while saving Ubuntu or the Linux distribution of your choice for the serious work.

For Windows network file sharing on a Linux desktop you need to set up Samba. This package provides fully-functional support for Windows networking, is free software and is completely cross-platform. It even does network authentication. You will also need to open the port in your firewall (I believe the port number is 445).

I'm not sure what sort of tools Ubuntu comes with by default for managing shares. I also tend to use KDE so I'm not sure about GNOME support. You can share both folders and printers on the network. I use OpenSUSE, so you might like to get more specific advice from the Ubuntu community on how to use Samba on there. The manual for Samba is truly enormous so you might like community advice on the easy ways of doing things :) .

motorbyclist
06-12-2006, 03:00 AM
ok, i thought so... he will be most disappointed

i do realise cost is not a good reason for some, but some of us don't have much money to throw at things that may not work, which is why we wouldn't invest in linux without any sort of guarantee - and with the prices and licencing of vista i think MS will be encouraging the change to linux/mac/piracy:groan:

and cost isn't the only reason either.... perhaps we'll have to settle for dual boot....

Greg
06-12-2006, 04:30 AM
[edit: message removed].

roddy_boy
06-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Damn I missed Greg's comment.

Greg
06-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Damn I missed Greg's comment.You didn't miss much. It was directed at estarriol, but someone in their ultimate wisdom didn't agree with me that his post was blatantly promoting a pay service for which he's an affiliate.

pctek
06-12-2006, 01:33 PM
but how difficult would it be to get games such as FEAR, Farcry, Battlefield etc etcto run on linux, specifically ubuntu 6.06 LTS?

Forget it.
Everything is DirectX. Until they put DX into Linux you'd spend most of your time pulling your hair out.

motorbyclist
06-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Forget it.
Everything is DirectX. Until they put DX into Linux you'd spend most of your time pulling your hair out.

cheers, that's what i needed to know

roddy_boy
06-12-2006, 06:00 PM
You didn't miss much. It was directed at estarriol, but someone in their ultimate wisdom didn't agree with me that his post was blatantly promoting a pay service for which he's an affiliate.

Yes I thought he may have been a spammer too. Seems odd when people register and only make one post that happens to be promoting a product, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Myth
06-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Paranoia seems to be rampant today on this thread.
Open the search, and put Cedega into it, its been mentioned a few times before on this forum. Or is this now a conspiracy?

Anyway, a majority of games will give you issues, however I know WoW, UT, and Quake will all run fine on either Wine or Cedega

Pete O'Neil
06-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Forget it.
This (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35742) might be of interest. Hopefully something good will come if it, it would be great to see gaming available to those on alternative OS's.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Cedega is the way to go for running doze games in linux.

If you run a 64-bit linux version thats cool, you'll just hafta install _all_ the compatibility libraries (which is prolly only 20MB worth of downloading all-up), and it'll play all 32-bit games just the same :)

Master_Frost
18-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Linux and "most" high end latest games don't work. Sure you can get a few to work with Wine and alike but it is generally a pain in the ass, support comes usually months after (if at all).

As I dual boot Linux and can personally confirm this, Linux is hopeless for high end gaming.

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Ive not had as bad an experience as you then... 9 / 10 games Ive tried with Cedega have worked fine :)

pctek
19-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Cedega

Anyway, a majority of games will give you issues, however I know WoW, UT, and Quake will all run fine on either Wine or Cedega

A majority.
Exactly.
People think hassles with Windows is bad enough but the stuffing around you go through trying to get a game to play properly with these emulators is far far worse.
And you certainly can't just buy your game, go home and install it and run it on anything other than WIndows.
Any game.

Chilling_Silence
19-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Absolutely!

However for me, the time spent maintaining my OS such as anti-virus scans, degfragging, anti-spyware etc was far less than when compared to my familys PC. So much so that it made the extra couple of minutes taken to setup a game worth the trade-off ;)

TGoddard
20-12-2006, 01:24 AM
As I dual boot Linux and can personally confirm this, Linux is hopeless for high end gaming.

Linux is hopeless for playing Windows games. Unsurprisingly, Linux games run really well on it!

Metla
21-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Funny that, In my efforts the linux games ran crap as well, No doubt the fact that the 400 step process to install video card drivers didn't exactly go smoothly had an effect on it.

motorbyclist
22-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Funny that, In my efforts the linux games ran crap as well, No doubt the fact that the 400 step process to install video card drivers didn't exactly go smoothly had an effect on it.

lol

i've ditched the linux gaming thing now, thanks for the advice:)

looks like linux is soley for my server then....

estarriol
17-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Yes I thought he may have been a spammer too. Seems odd when people register and only make one post that happens to be promoting a product, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

My apologies for appearing to be a spammer, I had just finished reading some of the Cedega website myself.

Saw the orignal post on this thread and decided to reply.

No promotion at all, I've never tried it, just thought he should read it.

Regards,

Al

roddy_boy
17-02-2007, 10:09 AM
lol