PDA

View Full Version : Shipping my notebook to the UK - help!

geckogirl
05-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm moving to the UK in March and travelling via Vietnam for over a month. I don't want to take my lovely new Sony Vaio with me for obvious reasons, but I can't find an easy way to get it to the UK. Does anyone know of an internation courier/shipping company that has a great reputation for looking after the deilvery of expensive and fragile laptops?

Renmoo
05-12-2006, 02:20 PM
DHL....? Check your local post office for more information on courier service.

Cheers :)

Codswallop
05-12-2006, 07:47 PM
NZ Post use DHL for Express International. If goods valued over NZ$2,000 take out extra cover in case of damage. Also make sure very well packaged. This is a signature required service so you will need to be able to send it to an address in the UK where someone can sign for it. Delivery is usually within a week so good if someone can look after item for you. Having a telephone contact in UK for delivery driver also recommended. The NZ Post website has most of the info, but make sure you read up on customs clearance section. I would also suggest you ring their International Express customer service line specifically (0800736353) to discuss your needs and get all the info before deciding on sending. Have a great trip.

stu161204
05-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Welcome to PressF1 geckogirl :)

geckogirl
12-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks all for your suggestions - all very nervewracking!

Nomad
12-12-2006, 11:55 AM
To prevent import tax into UK (VAT), you may want to look up the UK regulations. It may pay to get a form from NZ Customs Office (Certificate of Export) when you take the laptop to them, they will incl the serial number as well and sign and stamp the form.

Basically just pack it nicely and send it. NZ Post may be cheaper and they use DHL as well. Since it is over the threshold (can't remember figure), you will also need to do a export invoice at the NZ Post shop.

If I import a laptop into NZ be it if I bought it or someone send it to me, in NZ if GST 12.5% of the product and the postal cost is $50NZ or more I will need to pay before it is released to me, its held in hold. 12.5% becomes quite a bit, but you need to translate to UK VAT.