PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive dying, needs mouth to mouth ...

netchicken
05-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Last august I bought a new system with a samsung 120gb IDE udma/100 8mb 7200rpm drive.

Just now its starting to give me errors.
Had trouble booting this morning saying a vital file was corrupted (forget which one) when doing the diskcheck thing, I had 3 areas of "file record segemnt unreadable" 3 deletions of "index entry", and some bad clusters.

As its out of warrenty by 3 months :( I will need to pay for repairs, do they continue to die, or will it be OK now that I have scanned it? Do drives progressivly fail, or just get a few problems, and limp along after they are fixed?

Cheers

TGoddard
05-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Hard drives tend to fail suddenly and catastrophically but often display a few minor errors a couple of weeks or sometimes months in advance. I would recommend using a disk imaging tool to take a raw disk image now. You can then change the disk and restore the image to the new disk. Don't take any risks - hard drives are extremely failure-prone.

SolMiester
05-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Just a quick note, buy a replacement now and install. Then move your drive to slave.

As long as it is in and used as only hard drive, windows will continue to WRITE to it, which when hard drives are dying, is the last thing you want to happen.

pctek
05-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Another point. Seagate hard drives have a 5 year warranty. Buy one.

Renmoo
05-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation definitely won't work :D

Cheers :)

DangerousDave
05-12-2006, 03:32 PM
and the warrenty won't cover any data on the drive. You'll have to pay extra, and that ain't cheap at all. Buy a new drive (I like seagate), and copy data PRONTO.

PENTIUM
05-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Samsung have extended warrantees if you buy them separately too.
I have used them in builds and not had one fail, so far.
Have a chat with the distributor if your P C supplier is disinterested.

pctek
05-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Samsung have extended warrantees if you buy them separately too.

Extneded warranties? That you have to pay for?!:yuck:

PedalSlammer
05-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Mouth to mouth? lol. I've experience HDD dying. So I quickly get one HDD for standby. The longer you wait the more mess you're going to face.

The_End_Of_Reality
05-12-2006, 04:45 PM
As almost everyone has said get a replacement and BACKUP!! I also agree with what a lot of people have said about Seagate, get one, they are good

qazwsxokmijn
05-12-2006, 04:56 PM
lol mouth to mouth? I suggest you buy a new HDD before anything happens to your precious data. Or at least back them up.

Last time my 40GB IDE HDD and 5GB IDE HDD gave me problems, I upgraded to 120GB SATA. Oh, and what happened to the 2 IDE HDDs?

Steel Mitre 10 Hammer + 2X faulty HDDs =.....you know what...hehehe

stu161204
05-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Backup now!!

netchicken
05-12-2006, 05:36 PM
I can't :)
Well i can manually to a slave drive, but ghost, or paragon refuse to back up because of bad sectors

Is there any disk repair software that can be used to check it?
I'll go down tomorrow and get a new one, but if it could be saved somehow.

The only things I found on the net run off floppies and from DOS, neither of which i have...

thanks for all the advice indeed the time has come to drive a stake through its heart

Billy T
05-12-2006, 06:20 PM
I guess it is pointless reminding you that the CGA covers you despite the expiry of the supplier's warranty?

Maybe I should just go cry into my pillow over the utter hopelessness of it all. I wish people with this much money to waste would throw some my way!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :groan:

PENTIUM
05-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Billy T. You got it right.
No one wants to listen.

PaulD
05-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Extneded warranties? That you have to pay for?!:yuck:

Same deal as Seagate, warranty applies to drives bought through distributor channels not direct from factory. Samsung kept their 3 year warranty when Seagate was flip-flopping down from 3 to 1 year then back up to 5.

netchicken
05-12-2006, 07:03 PM
You got a point Billy. I asked about that and the computer shop said they would have to send it off to samgsung to get it repaired, so I wouldn't have another one to use, unless I bought it.

I have had so much trouble with the place where I got the computer that I really can't be bothered fighting them for an immediate replacement.

I like to support small computer dealers, but these guys remind me of sharks.

Billy T
05-12-2006, 07:39 PM
You got a point Billy. I asked about that and the computer shop said they would have to send it off to samgsung to get it repaired, so I wouldn't have another one to use, unless I bought it.

But that's the point YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT!!

The failure is the seller's problem. They have to honour the warranty or comply with the CGA because they sold it, that means they replace it NOW.

Any recovery from Samsung or whoever is up to them.

Sheesh..............

Billy 8-{) :groan: :groan: :groan:

PedalSlammer
05-12-2006, 09:30 PM
As almost everyone has said get a replacement and BACKUP!! I also agree with what a lot of people have said about Seagate, get one, they are goodHaha, I goin to laugh at ya. Maybe not if you're saying made in Singapour. Not Thailand or China. I already experience some problem with Seagate made in China HDD, like my S.M.A.R.T. log shows the seek time is slower than my Singapour Maxtor HDD and Maxtor got more space occupied than the China one. And it is a year older too, but the temperature of Maxtor is a lot higher than Seagate.

The_End_Of_Reality
05-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Haha, I goin to laugh at ya. Maybe not if you're saying made in Singapour. Not Thailand or China. I already experience some problem with Seagate made in China HDD, like my S.M.A.R.T. log shows the seek time is slower than my Singapour Maxtor HDD and Maxtor got more space occupied than the China one. And it is a year older too, but the temperature of Maxtor is a lot higher than Seagate. Do you expect to buy different brand apples and expect them to look/taste the same? NO! This is excactly the same as different HDD brands, they are all going to be different, I trust Seagate because of the reliability (as do most people), not because of the performance (but if it was a lot lower then it would be different) I can accept a little loss of performance if it means I get better reliability who wouldn't?

Though the new (well not new anymore :p) 7200.10s are pretty fast.

Also the amount on a HDD does NOT effect the seek times

PedalSlammer
05-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Do you expect to buy different brand apples and expect them to look/taste the same? NO! This is excactly the same as different HDD brands, they are all going to be different, I trust Seagate because of the reliability (as do most people), not because of the performance (but if it was a lot lower then it would be different) I can accept a little loss of performance if it means I get better reliability who wouldn't?

Though the new (well not new anymore :p) 7200.10s are pretty fast.

Also the amount on a HDD does NOT effect the seek timesMaxtor is the same as Seagate now(I think Seagate bought Maxtor or something but I don't know when). But they're made in different countries just take a good look at Maxtor price. And Seagate that is made in third world countries like Thailand is just not reliable enough. Like Western Digital made in Malaysia is really crap. I got bad sectors forming fast.
Hmm, lets test my China HDD life if it dies again then I'll moved to Maxtor. Maxtor HDD life is pretty long.

The_End_Of_Reality
05-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Yes, Seagate own Maxtor.

I have had 2 Maxtors die on me and those did not get a lot of use.

Seagate are the most reliable out there!

Don't forget it is also how you treat the drive (not moving it while running etc)

netchicken
05-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey this is interesting :)
I never realised that modern hard drives were so crap, I thought they were BETTER than ones in the past, my slave drive is an old 40mg drive that must be about 4 yrs old and still runs fine :)

I'll definitly go for a seagate, I wouldn't mind any decrease in performance, but I sure as heck would notice another drive going :)

The_End_Of_Reality
06-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Yes, moderm HDDs are better, but it is like anything, one day it could be fine and the next when it has decided to give up it is dead :rolleyes:

There is an old 40GB drive in the work PC that gets screwed over daily because there is so little RAM in it (256MB with only 80MB free idle at Windows Desktop) using the swap file and that has been going for a good 3-4 years :rolleyes:

The performance difference is so little between the difference HDD bands etc that it is unlikely that you will really notice it, only really if you are benchmarking will you see different results

Billy T
06-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Billy T. You got it right.
No one wants to listen.Sigh..........I could read that two ways P, but I prefer to think that people are too embarrassed to do anything when they realise they've been throwing their hard-earned down the dunny by accepting retailer/supplier bullsh*t over warranty matters.

So, I have an idea. I think I'll start up "Billy's Warranty Claim and Dunny-Flushed Money Recovery Service" to spare everybody this mortal embarrassement.

It will work like this:

Instead of buying any new products, you simply send me 25% of the retail price (excl GST) and leave the other 75% in your bank account. Then you go to the retailers premises and look at the goods you were going to buy, think briefly about how bad you were going to feel when you eventually realised that you had flushed your hard-earned down the dunny by allowing the seller to cheat you out of your warranty entitlements, then walk out.

As an optional extra, as you leave you could tell the guy what you think of his sh*t service, which will give him many sleepless nights wondering who the hell you were and what he did to offend you. As a bonus, and if you feel really heated, leave via the staff carpark and key his Mercedes.

All this for just 25% of the normal retail price (special promotions and markdowns not included).

I'll take care of all the sleepless nights and stress (I mean. it's really unfair you getting 75% and me getting only 25% when I do all the work and you get all the fun) but hey, that's the kind of guy I am, always willing to help my fellow man (or woman) in their time of need.

Additional services are applicable to women in their time of need at no extra charge (conditions apply and visual checks must be made to ensure eligibility), but don't tell Mrs T, she can be very unforgiving and I might end up with just 2.5% for my trouble.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

TGoddard
06-12-2006, 11:38 AM
But that's the point YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT!!

The failure is the seller's problem. They have to honour the warranty or comply with the CGA because they sold it, that means they replace it NOW.

Any recovery from Samsung or whoever is up to them.

Sheesh..............

Billy 8-{) :groan: :groan: :groan:

The CGA covers manufacturing defects, not wear and tear. According to the OP this drive is 15 months old - the damage is almost certainly of the latter type. The manufacturer must give you a working product to start, but they have no obligation to replace it if it breaks this far down the track.

Whatever you do netchicken, stop using the drive now. Every time you use it you risk further damage. Each use of the drive from now on should be planned and the duration of use minimised. Buy a new drive, install everything again on that, then connect the old drive as a slave and grab your documents off it. After doing this, disconnect the old drive again and put it somewhere safe in case you missed something.

Billy T
06-12-2006, 12:03 PM
The CGA covers manufacturing defects, not wear and tear. According to the OP this drive is 15 months old - the damage is almost certainly of the latter type. The manufacturer must give you a working product to start, but they have no obligation to replace it if it breaks this far down the track.You are 100% wrong TG, and you shouldn't be offering advice if you haven't read the Consumer Guarantees Act. Consumers have a right to reasonable life expectancy, which outweighs the manufacturers warranty and trumps their warranty period.

Those rights extend proportionately to the anticipated working life of the product, so much so that Consumers Institute regularly advises consumers not to waste their money on extended warranties.

Consumers are entitled to use the products they buy for personal use, and to expect them to run reliablly for years past expiry of the manufacturer's warranty period.

Anybody who accepts expiry of the manufacturer's warranty as the end of their rights has more money than sense, you included. I have no trouble getting warranty repairs or complete product replacements after the "Official Warranty" expires.

Thrice Times Sheesh................

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :rolleyes: