PDA

View Full Version : New broadband connection! Am I blackmailed?

silu
05-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi,

I'm sure there must have been some threads here before but I just wanted to vent about the nuisance of getting a new broadband connection. Over the last few years I have always flatted at places with existing connections but this Sunday I am moving into my own place. Needless to say that I need a broadband connection but it seems that I am blackmailed into going with Xtra, because they seem to be the only ISP who can do the connection within a short period of time!? My initial plan was to go to Orcon but I want/need Internet starting on Sunday and not sometime in the near future. Now I'm torn between going with the (for what I heard) abhorrent Go Large plan or being without a connection for an unspecified time.

If you know of any way around this then I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

TGoddard
05-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Don't use serious words like "blackmail" for minor issues like this. Getting a broadband connection takes time, usually up to a couple of weeks. Xtra has a slight competitive advantage here, unsurprisingly since they are linked with Telecom.

Talk to Orcon if you want to go with them and ask them whether they can provide dialup service until your line is set up for broadband. They might not respond so well to the "I want it now!" line so you might like to tone it down a little.

The alternative it to use an internet cafe until the connection is ready at home.

utopian201
05-12-2006, 11:16 AM
you aren't being blackmailed. You dont want to go with xtra, but you want it set up instantly. Thats the trade off.

R2x1
05-12-2006, 11:22 AM
As long as we use xtra's definition, the playing field is "level", if a little rocky and strewn with pitfalls.

silu
05-12-2006, 11:24 AM
OK, point taken. Blackmailed is a strong word and I would edit my original post if I would know how to.

I just find Telecomís ďbargaining powerĒ in this aspect a little unfair to other ISPís who offer a similar service. Unfortunately I need my computer connected to the internet the day after I move but I will ask Orcon if they could help me.

Just to explain my frustration. I am originally from Austria, which 10 years ago when I came to NZ, was way behind in telecommunications. Now they offer broadband services so superior to ours here (and new connections are set up super fast) that I feel left behind in the broadband world. Also I was on holiday in the US recently and broadband offerings were just abundant.

My envy turned into frustration. Sorry if I offended anyone with my choice of words.

PaulD
05-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Do you need broadband or just connection? You may be able to go with your preferred supplier and just use a dialup logon until they organise the broadband connection. I suspect suppliers use Telecom as an excuse for shortcomings their own office systems as some move faster than others.

silu
05-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. The problem of course is also that I need a landline for my broadband (I had Woosh before and didnít consider it at all) connection although I donít even want a landline. I for one canít wait until the unbundling of the network.

I have to wait now until Telecom issues me with an account and a number and then I will order my broadband with Orcon. Maybe they can help me with a temporary dial-up access until the broadband is installed.

pctek
05-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Just to explain my frustration. I am originally from Austria, which 10 years ago when I came to NZ, was way behind in telecommunications. Now they offer broadband services so superior to ours here

I think most of the world has superior broadband to us. Time to go back to Austria?:)