PDA

View Full Version : Wireless networking plan

mattm
04-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi

Don't flame the newbie, but Iíve got what I assume is a pretty simple question about wireless.

I currently have wired network between a desktop and laptop and have got fed-up and want to shift to wireless. Currently the connection goes from the phone line -> adsl router with 4 port connection -> 8 port hub -> desktop and the laptop and this allows for file/print/broadband sharing. The laptop has wireless but the desktop does not, so I want to set up wireless for the laptop and leave the desktop with an Ethernet cable as this is the primary machine.

I am not entirely sure how to do this. Thus this is where I ask you guys for help. I think I need to purchase a wireless access point, (I assume I can also plug an Ethernet cable into this?)

I was thinking of organising the following setup:
phone line -> adsl router
-> 1 Ethernet cable to the wireless access point, then an Ethernet cable going to the 8 port hub
-> 1 Ethernet cable to 8 port hub
-> Then 1 Ethernet cable going from 8 port hub to desktop

Would this work? I think it will give a wired network for the desktop and wireless for laptop? I was thinking this would be an optimal setup because I could turn the wireless access point off when the laptop is not in use to prevent bandwidth/file theft and still have broadband access on the desktop?

Does this make sense or am I dreaming? I am sure you will tell me this more complicated than it should be.

Furthermore before can who can recommend a good wireless access point, I was looking at D-Link DLK5015?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Matt

mattm
04-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Thinking about this would I be better to:

connect the phoneline -> adls router -> 8 port hub
-> wireless access port
-> desktop computer

Would this configuration enable both wireless file and printer sharing?

Thanks again.
Matt

Rob99
05-12-2006, 03:55 AM
yes

-----------------------------------------------------> desktop
Phone socket > filter > modem/router > hub/switch >
-----------------------------------------------------> access point > laptop

mattm
05-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks. Any advice on what access point to invest in?

Cheers

CYaBro
05-12-2006, 08:08 AM
I have a question:
Why do you need the 8 port hub if your adsl router has a 4 port hub built in?
You only have 2 of those ports used as far as I can tell.

Why not have:
.........................................> desktop
phone line ---> adsl router ---
.........................................> wireless access point ---> laptop

You would only need a wireless access point (will only have 1 network port) and not a wireless router (will have 4 network ports + 1 WAN port.) This should save you a few dollars.

Rob99
05-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks. Any advice on what access point to invest in?

Cheers
Linksys WRT54GL

aidanmaz
05-12-2006, 10:31 AM
consider a Netgear wireless point. i got a wireless router and usb adapter, given me no probs at all.

SolMiester
05-12-2006, 01:46 PM
consider a Netgear wireless point. i got a wireless router and usb adapter, given me no probs at all.

What wireless adapter is in the laptop, if built-in, probably a Intel, however, if you are using a plug-in adapter for the laptop, try to get an access point of the same make...

mattm
05-12-2006, 06:01 PM
I have a question:
Why do you need the 8 port hub if your adsl router has a 4 port hub built in?
You only have 2 of those ports used as far as I can tell.

Why not have:
.........................................> desktop
phone line ---> adsl router ---
.........................................> wireless access point ---> laptop

You would only need a wireless access point (will only have 1 network port) and not a wireless router (will have 4 network ports + 1 WAN port.) This should save you a few dollars.

I originally had the hub for file/print sharing. I could not make my router do this (probably my ignorance) and your proposal requires my router to do this does it not?

I was looking at investing in the the D-link DWL-923 network kit so I had a spare PCMCIA card flotting around. Excuse my ignorance once more but is this wireless router supplied in the kit D-link DI-524 actually an access point, (as some retailers have described and some have not)? I was reading somewhere that you have to turn off the routing facilities or something which sounds rather complicated, so am I actually looking for a specified wireless access point or will the wireless router suffice?

Thanks again
Matt

stuartwu
05-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi,
DI-524UP has more function than DI-524.
DI-524UP has USB printer server.

I use DI-624S for my private network at moment.
The DI-624S connects with my USB HP laserjet and one USB HD Storage -250MB (only support FAT32)

My gateway use Linksys WAG54GP2 with 2 phone port, I use Xnet for my VOIP phone.
The wireless signal for both D-link DI-624S & Linksys WAG54GP2, only can go through two timber wall or one brick wall.

I use a Linux computer which has two network card running by PublicIP software.
One end connet to Linksys WAG54GP2, one end connet to Linksys WRT54GX.
This wireless network is for my clients, login ID is required.

The Linksys WRT54GX with SRX has three antenna, the signal can go through three BRICK WALL.
The coverage area is great.
You may need a powerful wireless AP, if you want to connet to internet with your laptop at your garden.