04-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi,
My PC OS is XP-Pro. I have the following Media applications installed:
1. RealPlayer V10.5 Build 6.0.12.1741
2. Quicktime V7.1.3
3. Windows MP V11.0.5721.5145
4. Shockwave V10.1.3r19
5. Macromedia Flash 9.0.16.0

I have enabled Java (JVM) V1.5.0_09 and also Java Script in both IE7 V7.0.5700.6 and FireFox V1.5.0.8 and tested that these applications run from test sites.

When I attempt to play a video from TVNZ or TV3 pages the video display is prepared and the content stream starts to download then the browser says -
Firefox.exe (or Internet Explorer) has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Or it crashes completely or just sits doing something in the background and needs to be stopped.

Any ideas why?

Thanks

Colin

Jen
04-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Try clearing out your Temporary Internet files and see if this helps.

maccrazy
04-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Also try the flash videos rather than the Windows Media videos (definitely available on TVNZ's site, not sure about TV3).

Renmoo
04-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Hi colmin. Does that problem only apply to videos from TV3 and TVNZ? Any ideas when did this issue arise?

Cheers :)

colmin
04-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions:
1. Cleaning out the temporary files didn't help.
2. I'm not given the chance to select Flash Player before the browser crashes.
3. I've only recently tried TVNZ and TV3
4. Because I prefer to use Firefox I've just tried some more sites with it as follows :-
a) cnn.com behaves as for TVNZ and TV3
b) The following work. video.google.com, youtube.com, msn.com, foxnews.com.
c) abc.com.au gives me the choice of selecting Flash Player or Windows Media Player (WMP). Flash works but WMP doesn't. WMP seems to download the content but then hangs. Similar to my problem with TVNZ and TV3 however FF doesn't crash.

Iv'e enquired of TVNZ, who suggested trying Flash Player and TV3 who couldn't help.

Incidentally, I've just realised my CPU is a Sempron 3500 64bit running XP-Pro which is a 32 bit OS. I wouldn't think this is part of the problem. Would it be?

Cheers

Colin

Renmoo
04-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi again, colmin. I suspect that WMP uses substantially more memory than flash objects in Internet browsers, based on what my RAM-usage indicator application tells me. How much memory do you have in your computer? Try closing down unnecessary applications running in the background before visiting the video websites.

colmin
05-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Hi JamesKan,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion about memory, it seems sensible. I have 512mB installed and have reduced the useage to about 225mB without any improvement.

I'll try and reduce it further once I find out what all the tasks are, and I'll install a memory monitor to see what's happening.

Oddly my old P3/500 PC with 256mB RAM that I've installed in my home theatre and which runs off the same router doesn't suffer from the probem at all. It uses a very ancient version of WMP though.

Cheers

Colin

Renmoo
07-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Hi again, colmin. Could you please post us the exact error message that you received when attempting to run WMP in Firefox or Internet Explorer? Thanks!