PDA

View Full Version : Publisher ? Word?

beetle
03-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between Publisher and word is?

work has Publisher, i have word........i am doing a manual up in word, and will save to cd, and hope to take this to work and print it there........ they use publisher, will this be a problem? will it alter the text and graphics / clipart?

i dont know what version they have, but i have word 2003.

thanxs

beetle

Jen
03-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Publisher is used to create things like brochures and newsletters etc. It is not a word processor. If your work has Publisher, then I imagine it would be unusual not to have MS Office or at least Word installed.

Microsoft Office Publisher (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/FX100487821033.aspx) homepage.

TGoddard
03-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Publisher is for desktop publishing (i.e. creating posters, brochures etc). Word is for word processing and is best at creating simple documents.

Word should be used only where you are using a simple layout consisting mainly of text. When using Word, you must be careful to always use a consistent set of layout conventions. Nothing looks worse than a document that changes style part way through.

Publisher should be used when your page consists of text in fixed positions rather than all over the page. All text is entered in text boxes, which may be sized to fit. It produces much better looking documents when used properly. Its main disadvantage is that it is incredibly painful to make substantial changes involving repositioning of elements on many pages. It is suitable only for short documents with a pre-planned layout.

For creating a manual, LaTeX will beat either of these hands down, although it takes a little practice and reading to become proficient with. It automatically handles layout issues, positions images and tables for you in appropriate locations, generates your contents, bibliography and index with only a single command each and removes many of the problems associated with managing a large document. You write a text file with a few embedded commands and compile it into a PDF, which can then be reliably printed anywhere. For use on Windows, take a look at MiKTeX (http://www.miktex.org).

As a general rule, when printing a document on a different system from your own you should always store it as a PDF, Postscript or DVI (the latter is very rare nowadays). These formats are safe against having the layout wrecked by paper size differences, different versions of the program used to edit them and print them or problems with font sizes. Most professional printers will not even accept DOC files as they might be blamed for layout problems. If they accept only PDFs then customers can't complain about these issues or refuse payment.

FoxyMX
04-12-2006, 08:06 AM
work has Publisher, i have word........i am doing a manual up in word, and will save to cd, and hope to take this to work and print it there........ they use publisher, will this be a problem?

Possibly. If they have an early version of Publisher it may not be able to convert it but the later versions do a fairly good job, though I haven't tried one with lots of clipart and formatting in it.

Like TGoddard says, convert the document to a PDF file first (search the forums for a free converter). Your work might also be prepared to install Open Office which is compatible with Word.

FoxyMX
07-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Well, how did you get on with the printing, Beetle?

beetle
07-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Um havnt finished my report yet, got about 18 pages so far............and by the looks of the list a fair few more pages to go...

its a song book for work............ for a requirment i have to fulfil to complete part of my teacher reg stuff........... far more work than i anticipated......

and yes work has word............ found it, but its not used often by the looks of it.

i have to have this report / manual finished before end of term........
:illogical
beetle

Scouse
07-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi Beetle. Not wanting to upset the various advice you have to date, but... The Word programme you are using will adequately cope with your report and any amount of clipart/photographs/graphics. Your work printer will take this nicely and produce a lovely copy. Most of the reasons for using Publisher/.pdf and such like are to do with commercial printers' requirements and setups. Word 2003 is a magic programme that is far more user friendly than most people give it credit for. Good luck with the teachers reg. stuff requirements.