PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update

smurf
03-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Have a new laptop. Internet Explorer 7 installed today, Although I have automatic updates set to automatic. Nothing updates. Went to Windows update and tried to manually update but each time I get these messages:
Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)

I then attempt to download the files which it indicates i have but the reverts back to the previous messages. What have I missed...do i need to set something up here. I also downloaded Windows Defender but it too would allow me to update files. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Taken from here (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=4062fe23-b227-44fe-ba02-80169ef93af2&p=1)

To do this firstly click on the “Start” button then “Run” and enter the
following command into the “Run” dialog box

regsvr32 wuapi.dll

You should then receive a message to say it was successful. The above
process then needs to be done for each of the following commands:-

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 wucltui.dll

regsvr32 atl.dll

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Remember to close IE before u register these files.

smurf
03-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Speedy, Thanks. It worked like a treat. Iam now in the process of downloading about 39mb of updates! I had spent most of the day on and off trying to find a solution and even explored MS Update site without avail. Again thanks for your help
Smurf

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2006, 05:15 PM
No worries, good to hear it worked :)