PDA

View Full Version : Serious System Error. Help!

not.my.s0ck
03-12-2006, 12:56 PM
I just installed a new 512mb stick of sdram onto my ASRock 266A motherboard while taking out another, booted her up and was greeted by a box saying something about registry files needing to be recovered from a log and it was successful.

Thats supposed to be a good thing right?

However. As soon as I clicked 'Ok' it restarted. A long cycle of boot/restart happened. Sometimes it would restart as soon as the box appeared. Other times I would get as far as logging in.

I've reinstalled all my original ram and even though the box came up the computers running fine. When I got into windows an Error Report came up saying

'Your computer has just recovered from a serious system error'

I looked into it further on the error report and apparently it involved two files

C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERfe26.dir00\Mini1 20306-10.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERfe26.dir00\sysda ta.xml

I need to solve this problem ASAP. Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong by just taking memory out and putting in a new one? How do I fix this problem? Is it a problem with the ram?

kjaada
03-12-2006, 04:19 PM
This is very strange as a Google search gives no result to inputs of all sorts of versions of yr error message.

kjaada
03-12-2006, 04:50 PM
If you do not get a more positive reply (I am not all that sure this is the solution)
go find files and folders \user\LOCALS~1\Temp and you should find 2 files by this name one will have the ~ and one will not delete the one without the ~ for both the trouble maker files and you should be back to where you were before you replaced the ram.The ~ means it is a new file of the same name replacing the original one.BUT before you try that what about going back to yr restore point
that would be before you replaced the ram.

not.my.s0ck
03-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks for your input but I dont know what you mean. I took my old ram out, put in a new one and it just restarted before I had a chance to do anything so I changed back to my normal stuff

mark c
03-12-2006, 08:02 PM
What kjaada means ( very helpfully) is that if you're running XP reset to a restore point before you fiddled with the RAM. I don't have XP so can't give you the exact instructions but looking for something like "XP Restore" will give you the trick. Even look in Help on yr computor for Restore.

not.my.s0ck
03-12-2006, 08:04 PM
I went to the foldr those 2 files were in and there is a manifest.txt file. It says

Server=watson.microsoft.com
UI LCID=1033
Flags=1696080
Brand=WINDOWS
TitleName=Microsoft Windows
DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
ErrorText=A log of this error has been created.
HeaderText=The system has recovered from a serious error.
Stage2URL=
Stage2URL=/dw/bluetwo.asp?BCCode=10000050&BCP1=E2200000&BCP2=00000001&BCP3=8060E6FE&BCP4=00000001&OSVer=5_1_2600&SP=2_0&Product=768_1
DataFiles=C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERf222.d ir00\Mini120306-02.dmp|C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERf222.dir0 0\sysdata.xml
ErrorSubPath=blue
DirectoryDelete=C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER f222.dir00

mark c
03-12-2006, 08:13 PM
I'd delete my Temp files. Then run CCleaner. All in Safe Mode.

not.my.s0ck
03-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Whats CCleaner do? Why in Safe Mode? What difference does it make?

Jen
03-12-2006, 08:30 PM
go find files and folders \user\LOCALS~1\Temp and you should find 2 files by this name one will have the ~ and one will not delete the one without the ~ for both the trouble maker files and you should be back to where you were before you replaced the ram.The ~ means it is a new file of the same name replacing the original one.
You do realise the ~ (tilde) symbol merely indicates the file/folder name has been truncated and only the first 6 characters of file name is displayed. It is perfectly normal to see files referred to like this. They have no sinister origin.

not.my.s0ck, it appear you new RAM is either not compatible or is faulty. So your machine now boots into Windows OK with the original RAM only installed now or do you still see an error message?

When you have an system error, Dr Watson writes dump files that can be used for debugging purposes on what happened. Often they do not make much sense and are mainly only used by the Microsoft programmers.

not.my.s0ck
03-12-2006, 08:37 PM
No error message, everything is fine now after I put back my original ram but I'm sure the ram was compatible because it showed up when I first turned it on. So that must mean its faulty?

mark c
03-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Whats CCleaner do? Why in Safe Mode? What difference does it make?

Safe Mode because it's like working on yr car when it's up on blocks and you have the exhaust running through a pipe out side the garage. CCleaner is a handy clean-up program that will whip through yr conp like a dose of salts. I'm an unter-geek but that's what I'd do first. The 3 comps I'm responsible for run fine.

TIP: learn abut Safe Mode. Learn about CCleaner.

Jen
03-12-2006, 08:39 PM
It may show up, but still either be faulty or not completely compatible. Did you check the new RAM was of a type/speed that is compatible with your motherboard?

not.my.s0ck
04-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Yes, Its the right type and completely compatible. The only reason I can see wrong with it now is that its faulty. I'll try mark cs method

not.my.s0ck
04-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Ahh! I put in the new stick of ram again, tried booting into safe mode and it restarted, tried again and it just froze trying to load

mulit(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System 32\drivers\TDS.sys

I tried to start it normally and it wouldnt boot.
I put the old ram back in, SAME THING HAPPENED!

I've been forced to send this from my laptop, my pc just wont boot and I cant get anything done. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to fix it!

borax
04-12-2006, 02:57 PM
sounds like the RAM is faulty, run memtest on your PC, this will indicate any errors. It can be found here: www.memtest86.com, along with the instructions

not.my.s0ck
04-12-2006, 04:11 PM
I cant run memtest, I cant run anything. The computer just plain wont boot now regardless of what ram I have in it. How can I run memtest?

kjaada
04-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Try putting a bootable linux disk like Knoppix in.Do you get ANYTHING on yr screen when you try to boot ? as long as you get to the Press Del to enter setup then you may be able to boot a linux disk.

pctek
04-12-2006, 04:59 PM
A

I've been forced to send this from my laptop, my pc just wont boot and I cant get anything done. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to fix it!

Probably all this crashing has corrupted some bits of Windows.
Run a Repair install using the working RAM and send the faulty one back for replacement.

Jen
04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
I'll try mark cs methodYou do not need to run ccleaner. That advice is not relevant to your current issue and you run the risk of making the situation worse.

Ahh! I put in the new stick of ram again, tried booting into safe mode and it restarted, tried again and it just froze trying to load

mulit(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System 32\drivers\TDS.sys

I tried to start it normally and it wouldnt boot.
Are you sure it said TDS.sys? Did you make sure the old RAM is fully seated in the slot? Check to make sure you haven't knocked loose any other component/cable while removing the RAM eg graphic card.

Can you get into the BIOS still? Just keep tapping the DEL key as it first starts to boot up until you see the BIOS menu. Try setting it back to all defaults.

not.my.s0ck
04-12-2006, 05:15 PM
I can get into the set up menu (f2) and the boot menu (f11).

Its not TDS.sys, its TDI.sys. My bad.

I checked the ram and cables, nothing seems to be loose.

I cant get a bootable linux disc because this laptop doesnt have a CDRW drive unfortunately.

I really appreciate all you guys help, I'll try my best to describe the problem and answer any questions about it as accurately as I can.

kjaada
04-12-2006, 05:31 PM
I know how you are feeling and I know it is not much help but you are in good hands here on this forum.Just hang on in there and the solution will come.

Jen
04-12-2006, 06:32 PM
So the current situation is that with the original RAM installed the computer will only load Windows to the point the System32\drivers\TDI.sys displays now, whereas with the new RAM it just kept rebooting?

Do you have your XP install CD? As Pctek suggested, it sounds like you have also corrupted Windows so you could try a Repair of XP which will replace the system files but leave your personal data alone.

Apart from changing RAM, you didn't update or install any software just prior to this?

not.my.s0ck
04-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Both ram react the same way now. I'm not sure if I do have it actually, I'll have a look. Is there anyway I could get another one without buying a new windows disc altogether?

kjaada
04-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Any borrowed XP disk will do for a repair job

not.my.s0ck
04-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Jen, I've found the disk and booted up with it. Now how do I repair windows with it?

Jen
04-12-2006, 10:16 PM
This guide will help: Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm).

Let us know how you get on. :)

not.my.s0ck
04-12-2006, 11:03 PM
The blue menu didnt have the Press R to repair system so I had to take a much longer tutorial but now my computer is working just like normal! Thanks to everyone whos helped me sort this problem out!

I've decided to try get my money back for that ram I bought. It must be corrupt.

Vince
05-12-2006, 03:08 AM
I cant run memtest, I cant run anything. The computer just plain wont boot now regardless of what ram I have in it. How can I run memtest?

It sounds like you might have zapped your mother board, or the SIM with static electricty when you were putting the new RAM in? Did you earth yourselfe first?

Woops, I guess I should have read all the way to the bottom first.