PDA

View Full Version : more sata XP problems

LOWTEC
01-12-2006, 06:34 PM
In what seems to be my never ending quest to do what would seem to be the very simple task of installing XP onto my sata hard drive im now trying to install the drivers from my mobo cd before the install even though ive been told I dont really need to in my situation.
However there are many drivers and im not sure which one i want out of the list.

this is the list i have to choose from i think its option 'B' bt im not sure please tell me what info if any you need about my system to choose the driver.

http://preview.cvessey.photosite.com/~site/Scripts_PhotoSiteOnlineTool/PhotoSiteOnlineTool.dll?CMD=CMDStartOnlineTool

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2006, 06:57 PM
That link doesnt bring up a list.

The drivers on the cd, did u extract them to floppy first?

Some mobos you have to extract to floppy first, then chuck the floppy in while you're installing XP.

And you're right some, not all mobos need SATA drivers, for a SATA hdd to work.

LOWTEC
01-12-2006, 07:42 PM
whoops sorry fixed the link i think?
http://cvessey.photosite.com/Album1/untitled.html

yea i have to extract one of the listed drivers to a floppy just not sure which

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Hmm, I thought it would pick up the right drivers once u press F6 while you're installing XP.

Altho, I've never had to install drivers for the SATA hdd on this.

Since it doesnt need the drivers. I just hooked the hdd up and installed XP on it, and it was fine after XP was installed.

Whats the brand/model of the mobo?

LOWTEC
01-12-2006, 08:27 PM
theres like 5mbs of dirvers so cant fit them all onto the floppy so have to make a selection. im running a Gigabyte K8 Triton GA-K8NF-9, i dont know if using these drivers will do anything as I can see my sata hdd in setup but windows says it cant install on it as the partition doesnt support windows even though windows setup just made the said partition. its driving me crazy!!!

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2006, 08:34 PM
What else is on this SATA?

Is it blank?? Did the XP install give u the option to format it?

If it did, did it bring up this error message when u tried to format it / format it in NTFS?

I take it, you're booting from the XP cd, and changed the bootdisk to cd, and installing XP this way / doing a clean install?

LOWTEC
01-12-2006, 09:39 PM
its blank and no errors in formatting it in ntfs and no errors when xp partitions it just as soon as it goes to install says XP cant be installed on this type of partition or something similar. yep im installing it that way. The only time i got it to install and boot properly was when i had left my other IDE ATA (which im removing) with my current install of XP still plugged in by mistake but when i removed it after the install it wouldnt boot from my SATA even though windows is on it and has been working, it would only boot from it if my IDE was still plugged in. this seems very very strange to me.

pctek
02-12-2006, 09:00 AM
its blank and no errors in formatting it in ntfs and no errors when xp partitions it just as soon as it goes to install says XP cant be installed on this type of partition or something similar. yep im installing it that way. The only time i got it to install and boot properly was when i had left my other IDE ATA (which im removing) with my current install of XP still plugged in by mistake but when i removed it after the install it wouldnt boot from my SATA even though windows is on it and has been working, it would only boot from it if my IDE was still plugged in. this seems very very strange to me.

Because your BIOS is expecting IDE to be the main drive. Chnage it.
You don't need drivers to install XP on a sata on a modern MB, only the older ones.
How big is the partition you made on the sata for XP?

LOWTEC
02-12-2006, 11:47 AM
the partition size was 60gb out of a 200gb hdd. il check the bios again but for some reason i thought it wouldnt let me change the order of my hdd's when i tried last time but i could be mistaken

SolMiester
02-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Because your BIOS is expecting IDE to be the main drive. Chnage it.
You don't need drivers to install XP on a sata on a modern MB, only the older ones.
How big is the partition you made on the sata for XP?

Sounds like the boot.ini could of been on the IDE drive also?!