PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2003 Sharing Email on 2 PC's

Codswallop
30-11-2006, 08:09 PM
I've recently setup a home wireless router to allow new laptop to share Xtra broadband connection. Both desktop & laptop running XP Home & both have Outlook 2003 installed. We have 4 alias e-mail addresses off one main Xtra e-mail A/c. I would like to have the laptop only download email for one of the alias email accounts and the main desktop PC to download remaining 3. Have tried help from Microsoft website about profiles, but seems to relate to shared profiles on one PC rather than targeting emails for each alias from the xtra server and leaving the others. I gather Outlook Express has identities to do this, but I want to keep Outlook 2003. I know another option is to pay ISP more money for a seperate e-mail account but hey..I pay enough now! I checked the Rules wizard to see if there is a download but leave on server option, but nothing seems to fit this scenario. Has anyone else managed to do this ?
Cheers

Safari
30-11-2006, 08:34 PM
You can't download just one alias address without getting all the others.
You only have one account name and password to login to get mail from all addresses.

Outlook Express Address identities will not help you.

If you were with any other ISP your extra email addresses would be real ones with their own username and password to login and download with and you would be able to do exactly what you are wanting to do.
Alias addresses are a bit pointless really as they limit what you can do.

CYaBro
30-11-2006, 09:27 PM
As safari said, alias emails can't be downloaded separately.
The only option would be to set Outlook to leave the mail on the server for a few days that way you would get the emails on both machines.

If you go into Mail in the Control Panel then Email Accounts.
Make sure View or Change an existing account is selected and click next.
Select the account and click change then More Settings.
Go to the Advanced tab and turn on the option to Leave a copy of messages on the server.
Done :)

Codswallop
03-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Hey, thank you for the information and speedy replies. Much appreciated. Perhaps I'll take the simple route & use a Hotmail A/c on laptop.

Jen
03-12-2006, 08:23 AM
You cannot download your free Hotmail email directly into Outlook anymore. If you have a paid version of Hotmail I believe you can do this.

An alternative would be to use gmail which allows you to download your emails locally. :)

stu161204
03-12-2006, 08:51 AM
You cannot download your free Hotmail email directly into Outlook anymore.

That depends on how old or new your hotmail account is as me and a few other PressF1 members can still access there hotmail accounts via Outlook or Outlook Express.

PS: Welcome to PressF1 Codswallop :)

Codswallop
04-12-2006, 07:08 PM
It's never easy is it !? Luckily it's not critical. Thanks again team.