PDA

View Full Version : PC World Plus wont run

kennybouy
30-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Run win 98 2nd ed. with IE6. Just re-subscribed to PC mag & loaded dvd & no runny. Inserted March 2002 PLUS disc and it started no worries? Why wont my dvd run when old disc dose. & yes, I did clean disc before inserting in PC.

stu161204
30-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Hello kennybouy

Welcome to PressF1 :)

Do you have a DVD player in your computer?, to what your describing it sounds like you don’t have one in your computer that why you cant run the PC World DVD.

pcuser42
30-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Does a CD work? Do any other DVDs work?

kennybouy
30-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Run win 98 2nd ed. with IE6. Just re-subscribed to PC mag & loaded dvd & no runny. Inserted March 2002 PLUS disc and it started no worries? Why wont my dvd run when old disc dose. & yes, I did clean disc before inserting in PC.
Hi, Looks like its only a cd player, not a dvd! How come the old PLUS cd's play and new ones don't (have they changed to DVD?) Whats the difference? thanks

kennybouy
30-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Does a CD work? Do any other DVDs work?
Yes, the cd dose work as it runs the old cd's when I was subscribed 3-4 yrs ago. I did put in the March 2002 and it started instantly in IE. ?

Jen
30-11-2006, 05:09 PM
NZ PC World sometimes include a DVD disk instead of a standard CD disk with the magazine. The DVD's will only work if you have a DVD drive installed.

kennybouy
30-11-2006, 05:14 PM
NZ PC World sometimes include a DVD disk instead of a standard CD disk with the magazine. The DVD's will only work if you have a DVD drive installed.
is that soft ware or hardware? ta

Jen
30-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Hardware. You will need to buy a DVD optical drive if you wish to use DVD's. They are not expensive so you may wish to consider getting a DVD writer which can also be used for backing up your personal files as they can hold about 4.7 Gigs of data compared to 700 MB with a CD.

kennybouy
30-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Jen, dose the PC world come in either formatts. ie cd & dvd, can they send me a cd version?

Jen
30-11-2006, 08:58 PM
I can't see anywhere in the magazine where it states you can have a CD instead, and some of the individual game file sizes are well over what you could fit on a single CD. They only put out the DVD's instead of CD's a couple of times a year. :)

stu161204
30-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Jen, dose the PC world come in either formatts. ie cd & dvd, can they send me a cd version?

If there is something you want off that DVD, some one here might be able to stick in on a CD & post in to you,

Or if you have broadband (or maybe even dial-up depending of the file size) someone may be able to stick that thing you want up on a server.

Scott Bartley
01-12-2006, 09:46 AM

We only make one or the other I'm afraid.

Actually, right now we're debating whether to do a cover disc at all. Finding good content each month is really hard...especially when we don't have a budget to buy full versions like the bigger overseas mags do.:confused:

stu161204
01-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Actually, right now we're debating whether to do a cover disc at all.

That sounds a bit like what the Net Guide has done, next year they won’t be doing a cover disc, they are putting it all online.

Billy T
01-12-2006, 09:42 PM

Actually, right now we're debating whether to do a cover disc at all. Finding good content each month is really hard...especially when we don't have a budget to buy full versions like the bigger overseas mags do.:confused:OK, so cut it down to one every two months and a Christmas bonus DVD, but keep the updated drivers etc coming.

Heck, even four a year would be better than none at all. :horrified

Please. :o

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Metla
01-12-2006, 10:26 PM

Actually, right now we're debating whether to do a cover disc at all. Finding good content each month is really hard...especially when we don't have a budget to buy full versions like the bigger overseas mags do.:confused:

Any chance of bundling rFactor on a cover disc before you cease to have them, At the very least people can then run it in demo mode.

And any chance ditching the cover disc would reduce the price of the mag?

Sherman
01-12-2006, 10:44 PM

Actually, right now we're debating whether to do a cover disc at all. Finding good content each month is really hard...especially when we don't have a budget to buy full versions like the bigger overseas mags do.:confused:Is THAT why each DVD is so loaded with game demo's?

Not that there is anything wrong with that, its just that game demos and intel 950 graphics dont go together :mad:

That sounds a bit like what the Net Guide has done, next year they won’t be doing a cover disc, they are putting it all online.I noticed that too.
All very well and good if you have broadband...

zqwerty
01-12-2006, 10:59 PM
I predict a big downturn in mag sales.

Winston001
02-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I predict a big downturn in mag sales.

I agree. Personally no CD/DVD won't lose my subscription but I do look forward to the CD. I always keep 3 or 4 in my laptop bag just in case I need anything on them, and lo and behold last night discovered Quicktime Alternative had failed on the laptop.

My daughter created a video at school on Imovie and it was fomatted in Quicktime. Is that a default Apple format? The file just said AVI so I was surprised when WMP couldn't play it.

Anyway, reached into my bag for a trusty PC World CD and sure enough, there was Quicktime under Essentials. Quixotically, the first CD wouldn't open the file but happily the next one had it and bingo. One happy daughter and an amused father.

I have to say that the CD is the first thing I look at in a pc magazine these days and only buy it if there is something on the CD. In fairness, PC World and this forum meet 99.9% of my interest in computers anyway.