PDA

View Full Version : Are firewalls neccessary?

Wendy123
30-11-2006, 09:29 AM
I have win 98 SE and had my PC serviced last week, the tech guy told me that the problem was my zonelab firewall was corrupted which he uninstalled.
When I showed my concern he told me that I didn't need a firewall and that if I run spybot a couple times a week that would sort it.

Is this good advice or should I reinstall a firewall?

Thanks
Wendy :-)

godfather
30-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Depends how you connect to the internet.

If you are behind a NAT configured broadband router you can get away with it, as long as you are sensible in the use of the internet, and on what you "click" on.

If dial-up or no router connection then no, not a good idea.

I can go months here with no firewall active, just a NAT router and still find nothing of concern has been downloaded.

Wendy123
30-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Not sure what a "NAT configured broadband router" is...but I do use broadband.

KiwiTT_NZ
30-11-2006, 09:48 AM
What router/modem do you use ?

Wendy123
30-11-2006, 10:00 AM
ADSL modem and connected with ethernet not USB port.

tweak'e
30-11-2006, 10:24 AM
shoot the imposter thats posing as an IT tech ! ! !

firewalls are unforunatly very much needed. while the ADSL router acts as a partial firewall it only dose have the job. you still need soething to give some sort of control over apps accesing the net from your pc. antivirus and antispyware simply do not provide that function.

if your pc has trouble with ZA there other free firewalls advailable.

Wendy123
30-11-2006, 10:32 AM
thank you for that advice :o)
I have never had a problem with zonelab until last week...will pop along now and download it again.

Wendy

Wendy123
30-11-2006, 10:36 AM
I see that zonelab isn't supporting Win 98 or ME anymore...so would I download a previous program like 5.5?
:help:

Wendy

chiefnz
30-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Whilst a free firewall generally does the job you may find that a paid for product more often than not provides better protection and service.

I would suggest looking at a decent AV/Firewall suite.

I use Trend PC-Cillin Internet Security 2007, it's a great program and works very well. I would (bravely) recommend NOT choosing a Norton/Symantec product.

Needless to say that the choice is heavily based on budget, personal preference and your protection requirements.

Have a look around for reviews of products and make a choiced based on general consenus.

Cheers

chiefnz

tweak'e
30-11-2006, 11:02 AM
I see that zonelab isn't supporting Win 98 or ME anymore...so would I download a previous program like 5.5?
:help:

Wendyyes you will need o download an earlier ver or use a different firwall eg sygate, tiny, kerio etc.

KiwiTT_NZ
30-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Try Sygate 5.5 (http://www.oldversion.com/download.php?idlong=b02f754864811e2f0f97fd63427b94 43)

What Make and Model is the ADSL Modem

Wendy123
30-11-2006, 03:40 PM
It's a DSL-302G

Wendy

rumpty
30-11-2006, 05:07 PM
I have been using W98SE for years on dial-up, with no firewall, and never had a problem. W98 doesn't seem to be a target for nasties.

TGoddard
30-11-2006, 09:25 PM
A firewall helps to prevent exploitation of services you may not even be aware you're running. They are a useful layer of defense against outside attack.

The biggest difference you can make to security is not using a firewall or an antivirus, antispyware or any other "for sale" measure. Better security gains than any of these can be gained simply by running as a non-administrator account for your daily activities. This simple change will render anti-malware products almost completely obsolete and will make your firewall much more effective against inside attacks (i.e. from spyware).

johnd
30-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Better security gains than any of these can be gained simply by running as a non-administrator account for your daily activities.

I agree with this wholeheartedly - but unless you have chosen a very good password for your Administrator account, it can be cracked in minutes!

tweak'e
30-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Better security gains than any of these can be gained simply by running as a non-administrator account for your daily activities

while i totally agree, afaik win98 dosn't have an admin account and the profile system it is has is very weak.

for nt/w2k/xp non-admin accounts would be good. unfortunatly no home user uses and afaik its a pain to use.

hopefully vista will bring in some much needed linux basics ;)

zqwerty
01-12-2006, 12:18 AM
"I have been using W98SE for years on dial-up, with no firewall, and never had a problem. W98 doesn't seem to be a target for nasties."

I have been in charge of a modest computer that belongs to someone else for the last year and I agree with the above statement, with the following proviso's:

Opera is always used as the browser, two young women use it and they do not go to dangerous sites because of my instructions. So far, fingers crossed, no malware etc.

mikebartnz
01-12-2006, 12:43 AM
I have win 98 SE and had my PC serviced last week, the tech guy told me that the problem was my zonelab firewall was corrupted which he uninstalled.
When I showed my concern he told me that I didn't need a firewall and that if I run spybot a couple times a week that would sort it.

Is this good advice or should I reinstall a firewall?

Thanks
Wendy :-)
The guy is a complete F Wit. Any Tech that tells you that you don't need a firewall is a complete idiot even if you are on dial up. If he says that how did he know that ZA was corrupted.
Unbelievable
SpyBot just checks for malware programs and does nothing about port blocking or stopping those nasties trying to get into your PC
I will never forget walking the Milford track once and these two guys that worked at Camera House in Wellington had all the gear and were asked by one walker if her 35ml roll of film had been used so he started to pull it out to have a look.:rolleyes:

mikebartnz
01-12-2006, 12:55 AM
I have been using W98SE for years on dial-up, with no firewall, and never had a problem. W98 doesn't seem to be a target for nasties.
Without a firewall how do you truely know. Ignorance is bliss.

mikebartnz
01-12-2006, 12:59 AM
A firewall helps to prevent exploitation of services you may not even be aware you're running. They are a useful layer of defense against outside attack.

The biggest difference you can make to security is not using a firewall or an antivirus, antispyware or any other "for sale" measure. Better security gains than any of these can be gained simply by running as a non-administrator account for your daily activities. This simple change will render anti-malware products almost completely obsolete and will make your firewall much more effective against inside attacks (i.e. from spyware).
While I appreciate that you are knowlagable Win98 doesn't have that option and even under XP I have my doubts about "almost completely obsolete".

jesse_jax
01-12-2006, 01:00 AM
yah firewallz0rs are necorseriez or you get HAXED!!

but yeah if a firewall has stopped supporting windows 98 nad you have to dl a old version, then its pointless, an old firewall is like an old plaster.

Greg
01-12-2006, 03:40 AM
but yeah if a firewall has stopped supporting windows 98 nad you have to dl a old version, then its pointless, an old firewall is like an old plaster.An old firewall, actually, is like an old gun. It can still shoot. Wise-up mate. An old firewall, software or hardware, is still effective.

jesse_jax
01-12-2006, 03:51 AM
old guns become inacurate, arent as good as new ones, jam, and siese..well, at least old guns that havnt been looked after.

if old software is just as good as new, youd best go get ad aware 1.0, avg 1.0, and remove sp2, mate.

if you want real protection, get a firewall that is still supported.

pctek
01-12-2006, 07:38 AM
if old software is just as good as new, youd best go get ad aware 1.0, avg 1.0, and remove sp2, mate.

Well no. Antimalware programs rely on the latest definition files to be effective.
A firewall blocks ports basically and prevents or allows apps from within to have access out.

Age doesn't have any effect on that.

I have an old firewall, its been tested recently and still comes up perfect.

KiwiTT_NZ
01-12-2006, 09:23 AM
It's a DSL-302G

WendyThis is from here (http://www.wlug.org.nz/DSL-302G)
Security

Because the DSL-302G runs as a router providing NAT (Network Address Translation) it is effectively impossible for any computer elsewhere on the internet to initiate network connections to your machine. The only way other computers can transfer data to your PC is as response data to requests originating from your PC (eg sending back web pages you have requested). This provides excellent security; separate firewall software is therefore generally not needed.

NOTE: While this is maybe correct, this does not protect your PC from getting infected and launching connections to the internet. This is what a good personal firewall, spyware protection and Anti-Virus does.