PDA

View Full Version : new dvd plays dvds but no music comes out

petemit
29-11-2006, 09:47 PM
hi ive just installed a liteon dvdrw shw-160p6s it plays the dvd though windows media player but no sound comes out im useing headphones and if i play a music cd then i get music cant figure out what the problem is im useing nero software
but probably dont have enough free space on the drive ive got it installed on to hold the whole dvd should i delete it from c drive and install nero on a bigger drive (e) which has plenty of space and would that sort the problem

80 gb hd 500meg ram intel 4 2gh cpu nvidea geforce 4 mx 440 xp profesional
thanks
peter

SurferJoe46
30-11-2006, 04:13 AM
I am sure that by the time I get back from a trip to the local snow today, this'll be answered, but there are a few more items you need to clarify:

Where are you plugging the phones into? The front of the drive? the soundcard?
Are you trying to play MP3's thru Nero?
Did you make any other changes to your physical system?
Did you install the new drivers from the (supplied) cd that came with the Liteon?
Where exactly is the Liteon ribbon-wired? On the same ribbon as the HDD's?
Is your sound card onboard or an add-on?
Did your system work OK before or is this a totally new idea to use a writeable drive?

I typically put my drivers and programs on a smaller HDD and the data and files I generate on larger and different drives. This makes it easier to repair things that break if they don't live in some buried area on different drives all over the place.

My rule: root drive = programs/applications

drcspy
30-11-2006, 07:15 AM
codecs ?

ManUFan
30-11-2006, 07:48 AM
You need some sort of DVD software - MS Media Player will not play sounds from DVD's. Something like PowerDVD. Do Google search for 'free dvd software'

pctek
30-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Did you connect up the audio cable?

CYaBro
30-11-2006, 08:15 AM
You need to install the PowerDVD software that comes with the LiteOn drives.
This will also install an AC3 codec to decode the AC3 sound found on most, if not all, DVDs.

petemit
30-11-2006, 05:03 PM
hi thanks for that will reinsert power dvd and see what happens
thanks
peter

petemit
30-11-2006, 09:51 PM
thanks everyone
cyabro you were right on the money ive loaded both nero and power dvd and now have sound and picture
thanks
peter