PDA

View Full Version : Email can arrive up to 1 week late

gazzasm
29-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Recently on doing Send and Recieve (on OE) i sometime find files arriving which are date and time stamped as pre emails which were already there. I am with xtra, and two days ago an email arrived, dated as recieved a week earlier.
Beats me Gazzasm

mikebartnz
29-11-2006, 11:28 PM
A lot of people don't have their clocks set correctly.

R.M.
30-11-2006, 06:39 AM
I agree there are problems on Xtra - I sent myself an email a few days ago. It only arrived late last night!

Laura
30-11-2006, 09:03 AM
I've also had unexplained delays recently on Xtra - not days, but several hours late.
The most recent was last night - timed at 6.30 & arrived at 11p.m. Meanwhile others were immediate, including those from the same sender..

godfather
30-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Same here, but it also involved a Paradise email adress as the sender, which was sent to several addresses of mine, only one being Xtra. The others were web-based so Xtra was not involved, yet all were many hours late.

Carrier pigeons exhausted perhaps?

mark c
30-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Just happened to me too. Sending from Yahoo to Xtra. Sent one (notice for the local newsletter) at the last minute on a Monday evening and it got there mid-morning the next day - which was too late.

Maybe Xtra will unleash its email system.

stu161204
30-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Welcome to PressF1 gazzasm :)

I can’t say we have had this problem.

Greg
30-11-2006, 11:49 AM
It'd be a rare circumstance that emails arrive more than a few days late. Usually after a max of four days the message will fail altogether and the sender will receive a bounce notification.

Mike
30-11-2006, 04:41 PM
It'd be a rare circumstance that emails arrive more than a few days late. Well I must be special then :) Up to about a week ago we were getting emails on our Slingshot account up to 10 days after they were sent. This didn't make wifey very happy because she was trying to sell stuff on Trademe :)

Emails that were sent to both my Slingshot account and my domain account at the same time were arriving as much as a week apart! :D

The problem seems to have been corrected (I hope).

Mike.

B.M.
30-11-2006, 08:03 PM
I got one today dated 22/11 from bigpond - xtra.

Can't work it out. :annoyed:

godfather
30-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Still waiting on one sent 24 hours ago. Others are now sometimes 6 hours late.

Terry Porritt
30-11-2006, 09:21 PM
There's something up. I reset my email program to Orcon, and notified all in our address books of the change of email address via a bcc. All those going to @xtra failed to get through, with warning notes from the Orcon server that the messages could not be sent for the last 4 hours.

I still have xtra email, and I could send myself a test email to @xtra via xtra web mail, but not to myself @xtra.co.nz via @orcon.net.nz

Laura
30-11-2006, 10:01 PM
After finding 3 more late ones when I booted up this evening, I checked Xtra's page & find they admit there's a problem "unscheduled event" involving receiving emails - Dialup & BB.

It's described as "intermittent.".
The bad news is that resolution expected is "unknown."

mark c
30-11-2006, 10:06 PM
OK not really strictly to the point but I think emails have the date/time from their server not from the user.

stu161204
30-11-2006, 10:31 PM
I got one today dated 22/11 from bigpond - xtra.

To what I have read on Aust internet forum bigpond mail servers sound a bit like Xtra mail servers.

Erayd
30-11-2006, 10:45 PM
OK not really strictly to the point but I think emails have the date/time from their server not from the user.They don't. Try sending yourself an email with the clock wrong and see what happens.

Laura
30-11-2006, 10:51 PM
OK not really strictly to the point but I think emails have the date/time from their server not from the user.

Normally I wouldn't have a clue about that, Mark, but some of mine are coming from an auction system I'm familiar with.

No, not TradeMe.
I buy books on Zillion (which has a private messaging system similar to PF1's) but more importantly here, sends an automated email immediately you're outbid, when you've won an item & a set time before those on your watchlist are due to close.

It normally is immediate. Occasionally I wait for them, so I know.
And the late ones seem timed correctly - at least from Zillion.

(I had reason to note that when gazumped 15 minutes before closure after being the sole bidder for days. The email saying I'd been outbid was timed correctly - just arrived 3 hours too late)

mark c
30-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Well Ok Bletch. I tried it. Sent myself an email at realtime about 10.56 came back with...

Thurs 30 Nov 06 01:47:06 -0800 (PST)

..and then straight after setting the comp clock to 2.56 pm today and I get this ...

Thurs 30 Nov 06 01:48:27 -0800 (PST)

..so OK seems like about a minute and half later which would be reasonable (dial-up) but I don't see how it relates to the time..........m

autechre
01-12-2006, 09:37 AM
According to the newspaper this morning, Xtra has been having major spam problems again causing email to be delayed up to a week.

At least ihug aren't the only ones :)