PDA

View Full Version : Using earphones on the computer, does it damage them?

Fishy
29-11-2006, 12:13 PM
I can't be bothered going out any buying a headset for my computer because I don't like the material on the outside of the them on my ears (yes it may sound anal but it itches me.)
What I am wondering is does using normal earphones on a computer damage them? Because I know there are headsets designed specially for computers. I am wondering because my pair I got with my iPod broke, yes I know earphones break it's a fact of life. But does using them in a computer damage them? Because when I stick them in the speakers connected to my computer I hear this constant low pitched humming noise. What is it?
I just bought a new pair of earphones and I don't want to bugger these.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

godfather
29-11-2006, 12:31 PM
The low pitched humming is 50 Hz interference, from a poor quality power supply in the speakers or poor quality screened leads from the PC to the speakers.

No it will not "damage them", but for the sake of clean music try rearranging the leads, separating the PC to speaker lead away from all others.

Fishy
29-11-2006, 12:36 PM
I think it must be the poor quality power supply thing because i took the cable out of the computer and just left the power supply for the speaker in the wall and it still happened, then I moved the speakers away from the computer to a plug with no wires near it and it still happened. So crap speakers then? Should I get new ones or does it not really matter?

godfather
29-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Yes, sounds like a power supply issue (not sufficient filtering, the actual speakers are probably poor at reproducing the low frequency so it's heard only in the headphones).

You get what you pay for.

Just how you could even enjoy music with the 50 (or 100) Hz hum in the background is of interest, unless too much loud music has already done it's damage to your ears...

I would be tossing them and getting something better quality.

JJJJJ
29-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Why not just unplug the speakers. I use only earphones and a mike.

Fishy
29-11-2006, 12:43 PM
If I turn the music up loud enough i can't hear the hum so probably a bit of damage there...
But I have kind of got used to it, my brain kind of shuts it out now when I play games so I don't really hear it. You seem to be quite knowledgeable about this are you able to recommend some speakers or a brand of anything like that to me?
Thankyou.

@ JJJJJ The headphone cable doesn't reach because the computer sits on the carpet and i'm in a chair...

godfather
29-11-2006, 12:46 PM
You seem to be quite knowledgeable about this are you able to recommend some speakers or a brand of anything like that to me?
Thankyou.

No, while I am qualified in the field, I only use computers for business purposes, not for music or games, so no idea. Never used headphones on any speaker set, but if you are going to buy a set, take your headphones with you and test drive.

Fishy
29-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Ok I'll just have a look around on the net and see what people recommend. Just read up on it a bit. Thanks for your help, now I have peace of mind I won't bugger my new earphones.

These 2 look ok and about what I want to pay.
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=2293
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=2284
Leaning towards the logitech ones because they look cooler...