PDA

View Full Version : Esp for Jen:

SurferJoe46
29-11-2006, 05:15 AM
Where does "grub" hit on hdda?

I realize I cannot see hddb in Windows, but I cannot even find the installer on hdda....

Mepis is currently hanging at the 70% load position.....it times out and I want to see what's going on.

Jen
29-11-2006, 05:18 AM
Hmm ... well the GRUB bootloader is normally installed into the MBR. You cannot see Linux partitions from Windows because it likes to pretend Linux doesn't exist.

Not sure what you mean by "hit" on hda.

You should be able to see what is hanging the booting stage. What is the last line displayed on the screen? You can see "behind" the graphical boot splash by clicking more details when it first appears.

SurferJoe46
29-11-2006, 05:20 AM
oops...hit = hide...sorry

i-gordon
29-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Surfer Joe,

Try this,

EXT2IFS is an Installable File System Driver (IFS) for Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Microsoft Windows 2000 (NT 5.0) and Microsoft Windows XP (NT 5.1).
The driver can read the Second Extended File System (EXT2) and Third Extended
File System (EXT3)

Download here
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

Or this one is probably easier to use
Download here
http://www.fs-driver.org/author.html

SurferJoe46
30-11-2006, 03:05 AM
Here's the last set of lines I get:

* Booting process at 70%
Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
Starting system message bus: dbus-1
Starting Hardware Abstraction layer: hald.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbdhdb: dma_timer_expiry: dms status ==0x61hdb: DMA timeout error
_

I rebooted a few times to see if it would resolve...but I think it might be a printer identification error...right?

BTW:...... have seen a few posts here and other places about all sorts of dsl problems and Mepis, but I never had any and don't suspect any now...did I get away with something? I was just getting into sharing with the SOYO..although I hadn't gotten very far with that a few weeks ago and just stopped after I got confused.

I have all my 200g hdds on the SOYO and the Dell shared in XP (plus a lot of other stuff too)..would that affect the Mepis side of the Dell?

kjaada
30-11-2006, 04:31 AM
I think Samba is to do with sharing and Samba appears to be the problem.
I found it bad news trying to set up Mepis to share with my partners Ltop and ended up changing to Ubuntu as my 2nd Os

Jen
30-11-2006, 05:38 AM
Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbdhdb: dma_timer_expiry: dms status ==0x61hdb: DMA timeout error
The problem is with your Samba. You can see it is starting the nmbd and smbd daemons but then gives you a timeout error on your hdb drive. Are you trying to share a drive with Mepis on the same machine that Mepis is running? Samba is used to share files between machines.

If you disable the Samba service from running that should stop the boot error messages until you can have another go at configuring Samba. Just make sure you restart the Samba service when you are ready.