PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Internet

Ravennoir
26-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey Everyone,

Yesterday morning I found my ADSL Router wasn't connecting, So I have a look at the logs and find its not authenticating. So I call Orcon (who I'm with)

They say I'm already Logged in, Then about half an hour of troubleshooting later the guy on the phone figures out the my username is being connected from a different exchange.

So they go about finding a way to kick this person off and I go and change my password, and now I have my account back

:confused: What I'm wanting to know is :confused:

Can I trace the person who had my account, I have the information of the failed attempts which they made after they were disconnected

Any Ideas :confused:

thanks

jermsie
26-11-2006, 02:51 PM
No you can't really. Orcon wont give out identifying information even if they know who it was and they know the phone number of the offender.

Laura
26-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Out of sheer curiosity (from a Dialup person still ignorant about lots of ADSL stuff), would a knowledgeable please lighten me on:

1) Can this type of identity theft happen on DialUp?

2) Wouldn't Orcon have to know the phone no. it was coming from in order to disable it?

3) Any guesses about whether Orcon would ( or could?) administer any banning punishment? Or report it further? Presumably theft of broadband is some kind of an offence?

Just curious...

Erayd
26-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Any guesses about whether Orcon would ( or could?) administer any banning punishment? Or report it further? Presumably theft of broadband is some kind of an offence?Orcon would probably do nothing. Most ISPs state in their T&C that you are responsible for any use of your username and password, regardless of whether it is you or someone else who is using it, and that it is your responsibility to keep it secret.

Laura
26-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks, Bletch

Because I have no password for the Net (sole user of this comp), I forgot the thief had to know that to function.
I was thinking along the lines of a "random attack by a person unknown."..

s

Erayd
26-11-2006, 11:03 PM
I was thinking along the lines of a "random attack by a person unknown."..This generally only occurs with unsecured WiFi. Whoever is using your connection will probably either know you, or else your connection was set up / maintained by someone entirely lacking in basic business ethics (i.e. You Do Not Steal From Customers!).

The other possibility is identity theft - someone who knows enough about you to ring your ISP (claiming to be you) and get the password reset.

Myth
27-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Of course its possible on dialup, any way that you connect to the internet is a possibility. Though in todays world of broadband, very few would bother stealing a dialup account to connect to the net (except for practice of mapping or whatever). Just means some dude got your details and used the account. This can happen a number of ways (allowing people access to your password to dialup, or ADSL). Old flatmates, mates who have told other mates your account details... It could also mean some dude mapped you, or asked you select questions via IM or various other ways to find the answer. Google social engineering (hint Kevin Mitnick) or piggybacking.

Trev
27-11-2006, 08:36 AM
I thought a Broadband connection can only connect to their isp from the users home/business. I took my router round to a friends place and tried to connect via my ISP and it wouldn't connect.

Trevor :)

Erayd
27-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Normally provided the premises you are trying to connect from is ADSL-enabled you should be able to connect with any valid login.

tweak'e
27-11-2006, 09:46 AM
i wonder if you have one of thoe routers that have that flaw which enables people to hack into the router itself and steal the passwords etc.