PDA

View Full Version : MS OUTLOOK Crashing my Computer.

symiggy
26-11-2006, 08:27 AM
I posted this problem approximately two weeks ago and received several useful comments and suggestions which seemed to solve the problem however over the past few days the problem has resurfaced.

essentially this was my original post:

When I shut down OUTLOOK which is my default (and preferred) email client, the computer often (but not always) crashes.
Specifically, there is a high pitched clicking noise followed by the momentary appearance of a blue screen which lasts for less than a second and certainly too briefly to actually read what is written on the screen, and this is then followed by the computer shutting down completely and then restarting on its own.
Following the restart the computer seems to work normally as does Outlook.
This does not happen every time I close Outlook but it occurs every second or third time I use the program.
The only other malfunction in the computer that I have noticed is a slight slowing in the boot time and Windows Explorer take slightly longer to load.
The computer is only seven months old and Runs Windows XP SP2 Fully updated.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 3800+, 2.0GB RAM, GeCube RADEON X800XL.
My copy of OUTLOOK is part of MS Office Student and Teacher 2003 and all the other components of the suite work normally.
I am meticulous in trying to avoid Malware specifically I run:
NOD 32 with all shields active and updated daily. In addition I regularly run on line virus scans at Trend Micro
Webroot Spy Sweeper active and set to scan daily.
I regularly scan my computer with updated versions of Ad-Aware SE Personal,
Spybot Search and Destroy, Ewido Anti Spyware, CWShredder, F-Secure BlackLight and I have Spyware Blaster running in the background.
I have ZoneAlarm Free edition and I use a NAT enabled Router.
None of these programs has found any Malware.
At this point I am really at a loss as to how to address this problem.

As a result of previous recommendations from members of this board, I did in fact turn off Auto Start and I am now able to read what is written on the blue screen.
There is a message stating that the computer is shutting down in order to prevent damage ETC. also some advice regarding ensuring that recently installed Hardware and Software is working properly.
All this is not really relevant to me since no new Hard or Soft ware has been installed.
The part of the message that IS significant is as follows:
AN ATTEMPT WAS MADE TO WRITE TO READ ONLY MEMORY.
Technical Information:
***STOP: 0X000000BE (0X006F0044, 0X38C11025, 0xA6C89BA4, 0x0000000A)

On another occasion when the same computer crash occurred, the message was somewhat different:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***STOP: 0X0000000A (0X000000014, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X804F1322)

I have alo run Memtest 68 over a perion of 5 hours and NO errors in RAM have been noted.

Previously a repair install of OUTLOOK seemed to fix the problem but it has now resurfased in exactly the same way.

I would greatly appreciate some further suggestions since I would hate to have to stop using Outlook. :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2006, 09:02 AM
I've posted your prob on an Outlook newsgroup. I'll see if I get any replies to it.

And post them here.

Have you installed any addons for Outlook??

symiggy
26-11-2006, 09:17 AM
I've posted your prob on an Outlook newsgroup. I'll see if I get any replies to it.

And post them here.

Have you installed any addons for Outlook??

Speedy Gonzales:
Thanks very much I do appreciate your interest and help.
I have not installed any addons for Outlook as far as I know.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Got a reply, saying:

1. All these programs are overkill. One AV/antispyware is enough.

NOD 32 with all shields active and updated daily.

In addition I regularly run on line virus scans at Trend Micro
Webroot Spy Sweeper active and set to scan daily.

I regularly scan my computer with updated versions of Ad-Aware SE
Personal,

Spybot Search and Destroy, Ewido Anti Spyware, CWShredder, F-Secure
BlackLight and I have Spyware Blaster running in the background.

2. BSOD generally means driver error. Is there anything in the event log.

symiggy
27-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Got a reply, saying:

2. BSOD generally means driver error. Is there anything in the event log.

Speedy Gonzales:

Could you explain exactly what BSOD means.
Also , how do I check the Event Log?

Thanks for your help.

gizmoguy
27-11-2006, 08:45 AM
BSOD stands for Blue Screen Of Death and is that famous blue screen and white text that comes up when there is an error :)

You can access the event log by right clicking on My computer and selecting Manage then click on 'Event viewer' in the window that pops up, look for anything relating to your Stop error.

symiggy
27-11-2006, 09:32 AM
BSOD stands for Blue Screen Of Death and is that famous blue screen and white text that comes up when there is an error :)

You can access the event log by right clicking on My computer and selecting Manage then click on 'Event viewer' in the window that pops up, look for anything relating to your Stop error.

gizmoguy:

Thanks for that.
Nothing specific to Outlook comes up in the event log.
There are some "errors" relating to a possible loose cable connection occurring earlier today But I have not had occasion to open Outlook today ...so it's probably unrelated?

pctek
27-11-2006, 10:08 AM
0x000000BE: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

A driver attempted to write to read-only memory. Commonly occurs after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a driver file is named in the error message, try to correct the problem by disabling, removing, or rolling back the driver.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high.

symiggy
27-11-2006, 10:20 AM
0x000000BE: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

A driver attempted to write to read-only memory. Commonly occurs after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a driver file is named in the error message, try to correct the problem by disabling, removing, or rolling back the driver.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high.

pctek:

I have just had another crash when I attempted to closed down OUTLOOK.

This time the message on the BSOD read:
CANCEL_STATE_IN_COMPLETED_IRP

Do you have any idea how I can fix these problems?
The crashing only happens when I close Outlook; :badpc: it never happens in any other circumstances.

Speedy Gonzales
27-11-2006, 01:04 PM
What hardware is in the system Symggy? Did u install any hardware recently?

And did u install the drivers from the cd (whatever the hardware device) came with? Or from some other source?

Look in device manager and see if there's any ! or X's here.

If there is, what does it belong to?

And have u installed something like Alcohol 120% or some other kind of virtual cd/dvd program?

symiggy
27-11-2006, 01:18 PM
What hardware is in the system Symggy? Did u install any hardware recently?

And did u install the drivers from the cd (whatever the hardware device) came with? Or from some other source?

Look in device manager and see if there's any ! or X's here.

If there is, what does it belong to?

And have u installed something like Alcohol 120% or some other kind of virtual cd/dvd program?

Speedy Gonzales:

I have not installed any hardware at all recently.
Device Manager is completely clean. i.e. no alerts or any other errors are noted.
I have not installed any exotic software such as you mention either.