PDA

View Full Version : Realteck AC97 Audio

Nutman
25-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Gidday, I am about to inherit a computer - P4 3.0GHZ that has intergrated sound - Realteck AC97 Audio. I am wanting to play games on this computer and was wondering if I would be able to put in a sound blaster card. Sorry I don't know what the motherboard is.

cheers

Myth
25-11-2006, 09:35 PM
It would help if we knew what motherboard was in the machine. But your sound card SHOULD fit fine (assuming the motherboard is not a proprietary one) or part of say a Dell or Compaq system. Then you MAY get issues.

But most motherboards have PCI slots and room for the card to fit

pctek
25-11-2006, 10:02 PM
You don't actually need a separate sound card to play games....

Nutman
25-11-2006, 10:23 PM
hi, thanks for promt replies. No the system is not part of a dell or compaq system, was bought from a computer store in cambridge. Is there any easy way to tell what the motherboard is?

pctek, I would rather have a seperate sound good to give me better quality sound.

cheers
Nutman

Sweep
25-11-2006, 10:39 PM
You don't actually need a separate sound card to play games....

Correct. But if you want to hear things coming up behind you then possibly.

I would be more interested in the video card for gaming.

xmas
25-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Is there any easy way to tell what the motherboard is?

cpuz (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php)'s Mainboard tab might list the motherboard model.
Otherwise it's usually printed on the motherboard itself, around the PCI slots.

This is likely irrelevant, as all you'll really need for your run-of-the-mill sound card is a spare PCI slot. You should be able to disable the onboard audio in the BIOS.

R2x1
26-11-2006, 01:07 AM
hi, thanks for promt replies. No the system is not part of a dell or compaq system, was bought from a computer store in cambridge. Is there any easy way to tell what the motherboard is?

pctek, I would rather have a seperate sound good to give me better quality sound.

cheers
Nutman
You could try Belarc (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html), it's free.