PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux for me?

zahmad
25-11-2006, 05:54 PM
What do you guys reckon is the best linux option for my computer with these specs: Intel P4 1.4Ghz, 128MB Ram, CD-RW, Windows ME...soon to be XP, Creative Soundblaster etc.....I was thinking Ubuntu....but got put away my the 256MB Ram requirement :(. Is that a must have.....and sorry no chance of upgrade....RD-Ram :(.

Tell me which one I should choose....please suggest ones that you use already ;)

zahmad
25-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Sorry, also forgot to mention that my whole family needs to use it.....so it should be easy to use, but not toooo easy :D...anyway and I aim to use it as my primary OS as well ;)

Sweep
25-11-2006, 06:13 PM
What do you guys reckon is the best linux option for my computer with these specs: Intel P4 1.4Ghz, 128MB Ram, CD-RW, Windows ME...soon to be XP, Creative Soundblaster etc.....I was thinking Ubuntu....but got put away my the 256MB Ram requirement :(. Is that a must have.....and sorry no chance of upgrade....RD-Ram :(.

Tell me which one I should choose....please suggest ones that you use already ;)

You have me confused. At the moment you seem to have 128 Mb RAM and running WinME. Then you update to WinXP with the same 128 megs? I would not run XP with 128 Megs. Most versions of Linux that I have used do not need more than 128.

You may also mention your hard drive size and whether you want to dual boot. How many partitions have you?

Sweep
25-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Sorry, also forgot to mention that my whole family needs to use it.....so it should be easy to use, but not toooo easy :D...anyway and I aim to use it as my primary OS as well ;)

So what is the secondary O/S? WinXP?

zahmad
25-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Yup, WinXP it is.....and hard drive is 40GB....and preferably yes, a dual boot

Erayd
25-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Ubuntu will run on that - the 256MB RAM requirement is only to use the LiveCD install. It will run on a lot less.

kjaada
25-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Xubuntu is a low resource user and would be comfortable with 128.There are 3 versions of Ubuntu and X is recommended for smaller old boxes.Apart from that
Most older versions of most distros that are available on a single,generally bootable disk,would work.Most are available for around $5 posted.Just put Linux NZ in to google to get a distributer.

Myth
25-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Xubuntu is a low resource user and would be comfortable with 128.There are 3 versions of Ubuntu and X is recommended for smaller old boxes.Apart from that
Most older versions of most distros that are available on a single,generally bootable disk,would work.Most are available for around $5 posted.Just put Linux NZ in to google to get a distributer.Zahmad also wanted it to be easy for the family to use. Unless they are currently using Windows 3.11, then Xubuntu is not going to fit that requirement.
Possibly Ubuntu would be better, Mepis maybe?

PedalSlammer
25-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Xandros is for new migrants from Windows(I like this better than Ubuntu but this is quite difficult to use sometimes). But I'm still running dual OS and one Ubuntu on the other HDD which is not that healthy.
Easy to use? Windows, Mancintosh, what ever paid OS. :cool: I'm looking forward for Vista because I want my new PC to run on SATA HDD only no more PATA. lol.

TGoddard
26-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Memory is very important for a Linux desktop, much more so than processor speed or hard disk capacity. Lightweight Linux systems may require less memory as a baseline but Linux is also very good at making use of idle memory to speed up disk access and improve application loading times by caching the executables and libraries. It should be your first target for upgrades as computer manufacturers usually put in half what they should. RDRAM is very expensive, but you can get it from places like here (http://www.upgradeable.com.au/rambus.html) or here (http://tinyurl.com/ylqevb) if you really need it.

The problem is that nowadays we expect to run a fancy desktop, browser with Java, word processor and music player all at once. You can make do with a minimal system but there are hidden costs to using such a machine as the family computer. How much time do you wait for that machine to start up or for your documents to load? Are you forced to use a minimal office suite to conserve memory?

I would personally get a new motherboard similar to something like this (http://tinyurl.com/ydrsy2) and 512MB of memory to go with it. This would give you a decent desktop for years to come for about $200.

Poppa John
26-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Zamad.... I can give you a free copy of Ubuntu if you want one. PM me your name & address. PJ

zahmad
27-11-2006, 06:10 PM
I am likely to go with Ubuntu, thanks to Poppa John.......any other suggestions ;)?

zahmad
28-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Anyone?

Poppa John
28-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Z......... In the mail this morning. Sorry about the pink envelope. Looks kinky. PJ

Rob99
28-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Mepis

kjaada
28-11-2006, 01:16 PM
If you pm me I will send you a disk for Xandros trial and I believe if you try it you will settle on that OS.I had all sorts of problems with Mepis and Mandriva and find Umbutu OK but the fact that (when you are converting from windoze)
Xn is the nearest thing you will get to it and this is important:You can see and
use all yr files that are on windoze.I have a MS home network which allows my partner on her laptop to print on my box and for me to access her shared docs.Whichever OS you choose you will have a bit of a learning curve but Xandros will give you the least grief.
(I am now leaving for Fiji where the flack will be much less than what I will get here on this forum)

SurferJoe46
28-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Z......... In the mail this morning. Sorry about the pink envelope. Looks kinky. PJ

Now I feel slighted pj...I didn't get a pink envelope!!!!:eek: