PDA

View Full Version : Deleting 'undeleted' file remnants in XPHome?

braindead
23-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Several PCs I've worked on contain thousands of remnants of Recycle Binned files, some recoverable and most not. Using TuneUp's Undelete utility I can locate and see these files, most of which have names beginning with $.

I don't want to restore/undelete these files one by one via painfully slow renaming of the files with $ in their name.

Is there a fast alternative way to locate all these files in one hit so they can be deleted, thus freeing up what looks like a good chunk of HD space?

Thanks and appreciation.

zqwerty
23-11-2006, 07:37 PM
In general to solve this problem, you do a search for whatever it is you want to find, then when they show up in the search results select them all (shift) and drag them to a folder especially created for this job and then delete the folder. Be careful what you delete!

The_End_Of_Reality
23-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Just to get this right, you have deleted these files and emptied the recycle bitn and do not want them back? right?

If so there is no need to worry about the files, the appear there, but get over written when the time comes... thus most are unreadable, but you will not free up any HDD space by deleting them

i-gordon
24-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Braindead
Download a free Program called Eraser http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ only 2.28Mb
When you get it going Click on Edit>preferences>erasing>Unused Disk Space Pseudorandom Data>Click OK. Leave all the other settings as they are.
Click on File>New Task>Set to Unused space on drive Windows C: Click OK
Highlight WINDOWS C: Make sure it has unused disk space under Type in column 3. If not go back and start again. Then right click on WINDOWS C: left click Run.
I just downloaded the latest update 5.8 and ran it just before making this post.
Took about 20min on my comp.
The first time I used this I recovered about 1.5Gb. and I use it about once a month and sometimes recover a few Mbs
You should not be storing anything important on the same partition as Windows
But if you have anything important on your C:/ partition make a backup of your data before you start just to be on the safe side.
Ian

braindead
26-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Sorry to be so long getting back to you to say thanks for your responses. I'd changed my email addy and so did not get notified by PressF1 of replies.

I finally went with something similar to you i-gordon, using East-Tec Eraser. It did a fine job, recovering about 500MB, did a Gutmann 7x overwrite and free space clean. Probably overkill - it took 9 hours to do a 14GB OS partition! My system does feel a bit snappier though.

Many thanks to you all!