PDA

View Full Version : Civ4 Tin Box edition... what??

mejobloggs
23-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Sid Meier's Civilization IV Tin Box Edition
http://www.gpstore.co.nz/Games/1470026.html

I am really interested in getting Civ4, as I found Civ2/3 really fun, and people say civ4 is a whole lot better.

But... Tin Box Edition? What on earth does that mean?

Is it some... collectors item thing, where the game comes with a fancy tin box, or does 'tin box' mean something I am not aware of?

Also, anyone know if there is a Civ4+Expansion package anywhere? So I don't have to buy them seperately. Cause when I went and bought Civ3 for $40, the week after they released a package with Civ3 + 2 expansions for $50 (or something), heh... annoying.

Nomad
23-11-2006, 11:04 AM
I am a huge Civ fan. I have 1, 2, 3. Don't have a real vid card which Civ 4 requires thou.

Hey, whats your strategy? I get into the issue of say too much into science and not much in expanding or military or one of the other. How do you manage it? How do you cope when others have so huge expansion and when you have like 20 or 30 Chinese Riders you cannot take them out b/c even if you use brute force and the riders will attach and then flee and then you use the other riders, if ya take over a city, they will still get theri city back from propaganda or cultural influence or revolting ...

mejobloggs
23-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Uh... I never said I was good :p

I find a lot of these articles very handy though:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/
http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?cat=210&t=sub_pages

One thing I found helpful, is resisting the urge to build graneries and stuff. When I started playing, I would concentrate too much on making all my cities have all the good buildings. Its actually better to focus more on building milatary units.

Also, a tip I read somewhere... If you arn't very good, don't even bother trying to build wonders. They take way too long. In the time it takes, you could have built a rather nice amount of milatary units, or city upgrades.

But I havn't played for so long I can hardly remember :(

I think I played on about... the third level from the bottom. I found that too easy, but the next level up way too hard. So yeah, I was not really competent :p

But actually quite excited about Civ4 after reading through forums and such.

What's your pc specs?

mejobloggs
23-11-2006, 01:45 PM
All you need for civ4 is any 64mb+ Geforce4/Radeon 9000

One of these could do it ($60): http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_4508.html

motorbyclist
24-11-2006, 12:01 AM
ah, civ1,2,3 and 4... did anyone try 'civ call to power'?

awesome games... i find going military and expansion is a good idea very early on, but then the trick is to get a real scientific edge and nuke 'em before they can set up a defense.... the advantage with going science (moreso in 2 &3) means you can ensure you will not be 'nuked back', and without MAD (mutally assured destruction) you are free to conquer!

but yeah, more cities=more science and better ability to mobilise and defend when attacked, also allows you to outnumber weaker opponents (and ensures there isnt any stronger ones)...

also i find in (civ2&3) that the pyramids wonder was good in that it gave every city a granary and never expired, (civ2)great wall and UN prevented other countries attacking you and (civ2) adam & smith trading co. was practically necessary for money, and in civ3 the <insert name of the nuke defense wonder> had obvious advantages in controlling (and obvious disadvantages in having an enemy build it)

so expand, learn and conquer... use wonders, but build them in cities with highest production and speed the construction with money/caravans

/rant

tin box edition does (read: should as it has in the past) come in a tin box

mejobloggs
24-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Oh right.... WHY does it come in a tin box?

Seems wierd to me.

Yeah, I played Call to Power. Wasn't that the first one where you could sort of... stack units to create an 'army' ?

I think i'm going to wait until there is a Civ4+expansion package, cause they usually save a bit of money.

Nomad
24-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Bro doesn't play games so he has 512MB RAM with a Sempron 2.4 which should be fine w/ a added vid card. I on the other hand still have a P3 laptop :p do have plans to get a Athlon 1/2GB Ram, a 21 inch 2nd hand Trinitron and then myu A3 printer :D Sometime away and of course a Nvidia card PCI-X. I tend to like Civ cos its so complex and also story games like Splinter Cell, I think they also have a collection pack for sale as well.

KiwiTT_NZ
24-11-2006, 01:39 PM
I have Civ4 and also the Warlords Expansion (recently). (I also have Civ2,3 + expansions). CivIII was in my opinion better than Civ4, but I still play Civ4 regularly and not CivIII, which says it all.

I have just bought 1 GB RAM chip to upgrade my PC from 2x256(512 MB). Which should allow me to play the largest maps.

mejobloggs
24-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Really? Civ3 better? I was scrawling through the civ forums, and I read numours comments on how boring Civ3 was, and that it lacked the... playability/'addictivness' that Civ2 previously had, and now Civ4 has even more.

Warlords worth getting?

motorbyclist
24-11-2006, 02:01 PM
civII is still my favorite, even though civIII and IV are technically better i still like II the most

and i dont know why they have a tin box, i guess it's just different..... they did it for civIII too

mejobloggs
24-11-2006, 02:03 PM
We should have PressF1 FreeCiv competitions using Civ2 rules :)

KiwiTT_NZ
24-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Really? Civ3 better?

Warlords worth getting?

Yes Civ II was addictive and I played and played it. I saw the first screen shot of Civ III and that was it I had to get it. I did, but my old PC and K2-300/64MB was just too slow. It was my justification to upgrade to my new PC three years ago, with 512 MB, etc.

I then got Medieval TW and was then playing that for over 2 years or so, before I got Civ IV. I was really disappointed, partly because I could not play the largest map sizes, because I did not have enough RAM. Still it made for quick games (i.e. under 3 hours).

So in summary,

Civ 2 -> Civ 3 - Excellent, especially with the new PC :D
Civ 3 -> Civ 4 - Good, but I had seen MTW and RTW in between, which lessoned the impact for me.

I now have the Warlords Edition and it adds a few more units, civilisations and maps. Is it worth getting ? - If you are a Civ player then, Yes. :thumbs: