PDA

View Full Version : How can I rip an audio track off of a video?

MasturJeff
23-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Is there a way I can do this?

I basically just want to rip off this live audio performance from video of this local concert.

SurferJoe46
23-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Not sure if it's legal in Upsidedown Land.....there's the performer's rights to the material, even if you recorded it..and THAT may be suspect too!

Seperating vid and aud tracks might be a violation of the creative copyright by the artist.

Did you get a signed permission to actually create the video of the performance?

Here in the US..bootlegging performances is illegal..and I understand it might be illegal to even rip any vid in your part of the world...sigh!

I also don't even know if yours is the correct type of question to ask in the first place.

Here we can invoke the Use By Proxy laws and get and keep archived copies of anything we actually own and have in personal possession.

This is getting all so crazy....everywhere! Not only do you need to be an IT to run your computer but now you need a degree in international copyright law too.

maccrazy
23-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Are you looking for a free solution or a paid one? For the latter, you can just extract and paste the audio track into a new file with QuickTime Pro. Not sure about free options.

MasturJeff
23-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Not sure if it's legal in Upsidedown Land.....there's the performer's rights to the material, even if you recorded it..and THAT may be suspect too!

Seperating vid and aud tracks might be a violation of the creative copyright by the artist.

Did you get a signed permission to actually create the video of the performance?

Here in the US..bootlegging performances is illegal..and I understand it might be illegal to even rip any vid in your part of the world...sigh!

I also don't even know if yours is the correct type of question to ask in the first place.

Here we can invoke the Use By Proxy laws and get and keep archived copies of anything we actually own and have in personal possession.

This is getting all so crazy....everywhere! Not only do you need to be an IT to run your computer but now you need a degree in international copyright law too.

It's my best friend's band. They performed at a church and they want me to put the audiotrack on their myspace. :thumbs:

SurferJoe46
23-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Sounds safe enough to me...but CYOB and get something in writing....just in case they make it big later on.....

I might be a little paranoid...but I also live in Lawyer Land.

CYaBro
23-11-2006, 12:14 PM
You would need a 2x RCA (Red & White plugs) to 3.5mm stereo cable (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4564e7130561b218273fc0a87f9906ee/Product/View/C1240) to connect to the audio outputs on the back of the VCR and into the line-in on your PC sound card. (If the VCR is a stereo model)
For mono VCR get a 1x RCA to 3.5mm mono cable. (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4564e7130561b218273fc0a87f9906ee/Product/View/C1080)
The software I would use is CD Wave. (http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/) My dad uses it to record LPs to CD on his notebook.

Greg
23-11-2006, 12:43 PM

This is getting all so crazy....everywhere! Not only do you need to be an IT to run your computer but now you need a degree in international copyright law too.Or you could just offer technical advice instead of getting pedantic about the legalities ;)

SurferJoe46
23-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Or you could just offer technical advice instead of getting pedantic about the legalities ;)

Really?

The poster didn't say if it was a Rolling Stones concert he bootlegged and wanted to get the audio tracks off it either.

Now..that would make someone an accessory after the fact and subject to civil penalties......

Just don't be rude with your after the facts are out knowledge.

juicytree
23-11-2006, 07:48 PM
I use Total Recorder (http://www.totalrecorder.com) - works a treat. It does cost a small amount to use but they are good on their upgrades etc.

utopian201
24-11-2006, 01:25 PM
is it a video file, or off a video cassette?
If its off a file, I use virtualDub and use the rip wav function.

If its off a video cassette, just plugin the audio out into your line in on your computer (using the rca to stereo cable), and use a recording program (eg audacity)

Greg
24-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Just don't be rude with your after the facts are out knowledge.Since when do facts get in the way of nonsensical debate?

SurferJoe46
24-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Good point...I digressed again....sorry