PDA

View Full Version : Connect Vodem on windows start

Nex2006
22-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Just recieved my new vodem. I'm happy with the easy setup. Just wondering if anyone knows a way to get it to connect as soon as windows starts? I've spoken to Vodafone and there is no way to do this with their current software; although they did mention there is third party software which would allow this (but they wouldn't give me a name).

Any suggestions would be great :help:

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2006, 01:22 PM
If its got an exe file add it to startup, in the program files menu.

beama
22-11-2006, 01:30 PM
find the exe and put it in .....all users\start menu\ startup
[edit]
Snap speedy

stu161204
22-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Welcome to PressF1 Nex2006 :D

Nex2006
22-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Tried putting the exe in startmenu>startup but it still needs the user to push the "connect" button...

KiwiTT_NZ
22-11-2006, 03:47 PM
has the .exe got any command switches

i.e. open a cmd prompt, cd\ to the folder\directory of the .exe is in.

Type program.exe /? (replace program with actual name - of course)

This may give a list of options.

johcar
22-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Be careful with this if someone can provide an answer to your question so you can automatically connect. If your antivirus/firewall is/are a bit slow to fire up on startup and finish(es) AFTER you have connected, you could expose yourself (and your PC ;) ) to net nasties before they finish loading properly...

Nex2006
22-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Tried the command prompt - no options given...

Cheers johcar, the vodem takes a while to start up at the best of times...

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2006, 04:31 PM
If it shows as a connection in IE, select it under tools/connections, and change it to always dial my default connection.

Nex2006
22-11-2006, 04:46 PM
If it shows as a connection in IE, select it under tools/connections, and change it to always dial my default connection.

It shows the connection in IE ...

here comes the "but" ...

... but when it tries to dial it says "unable to establish a connection."
I'm thinking it needs to run an exe to establish the connection .... ?

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Well not much else u can do then, you'll have to press connect.

R2x1
23-11-2006, 09:03 AM
The software is flaky. If you select "Automatic Connection" under "Manage Connections" on the Vodafone Mobile Connect screen, it loses track of what country you are in and defaults to Vodafone UK, so the "Automatic" connection is considerably more "manual" than the "Manual Connection" option. :rolleyes:
The software is called "Vodafone Mobile Connect Lite" - is it time they got a working package together :confused:

Nex2006
23-11-2006, 11:54 AM
The software is flaky. If you select "Automatic Connection" under "Manage Connections" on the Vodafone Mobile Connect screen, it loses track of what country you are in and defaults to Vodafone UK, so the "Automatic" connection is considerably more "manual" than the "Manual Connection" option. :rolleyes:
The software is called "Vodafone Mobile Connect Lite" - is it time they got a working package together :confused:

I had the same issue, guess I'm stuck then. Thanks everyone for your help. :groan:

motorbyclist
24-11-2006, 01:03 AM
did you consult the almighty google at all? there might be some answers (as i assume these were released overseas atleast 3 months ago)

Erayd
24-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Does the vodem use the same software as the 3G PCMCIA cards? I was setting one of the cards up for someone a while back, and it's possible to use it without the exe - just manually search for drivers and let it grab them off the CD, then set it up as though it was a standard dial-up connection. It behaves exactly like a standard dial-up too (albeit a fast one), and I was able to auto-dial it by placing a shortcut to the connection in the startup folder (and disabling the user/pass prompt).

alasta
24-11-2006, 03:47 PM
The software is flaky.
<snip>

By and large the Vodem works well, but I agree that the whole user interface is frustrating. I don't know if others have experienced this, but I find that when I plug it into the USB port, I have to wait about 20 seconds before I can connect. If I start up my computer with the Vodem plugged in, then it won't acknowledge that it's connected until I unplug it and then plug it back in again.