PDA

View Full Version : Losing Internet Connection

mack
22-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Every approximately 10-15 minutes my computer seems to lose the internet connection [broadband]. Even though sometimes when after turning the modem off and turning it back on and with all lights on and three stable there seems to be no connection. One way to get the connection back is to shut down the computer and restart it again. Sometimes only three lights will show up on the modem. Anybody got any suggestions as to what is wrong and how the problem can be fixed.

borax
22-11-2006, 12:57 PM
First thing have you done all the usual anti-virus, anti-spyware tests, have you scanned with HiJack this???
Second thingi would do (if all the above is OK) is see if the connection between your PC and the modem is OK. You can do this by finding the IP address of your modem and then ping -t your modem a leave it for 10-15 minutes and look at the results.

mack
22-11-2006, 05:43 PM
First thing have you done all the usual anti-virus, anti-spyware tests, have you scanned with HiJack this???
All done except scanned with HiJack
Many thanks borax, appreciate the tips.

SolMiester
22-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi Mack, a couple of questions please....are you advising that the network connection between your pc's NIC and the modem/router loses connection, or the modem/router drops the internet connection and so your pc connection to the internet.

I am of course inferring that you are using a ethernet connection instead of a USB connection. If the later, is this the telecom d-link 302 unit. I would advise changing the connection to ethernet.

Next question is, if it is the router/modem that drops the internet connection but still connected to the modem, make sure any and all devices (sky box, alarms, all phones etc) have filters attached. Sounds a bit like an alarm signal interfering to me with the 15 min cycle where it send signal back to monitoring station.

If not an alarm, see if you can find a firmware flash upgrade for the unit and lastly, could be poor internal wiring of your telephone cable/jack (try another) or poor telecom signal to your house.

Good luck

the_bogan
22-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Reminds me of when I was on dial up, and that kept happening to me :blush:

Turns out I had the connection set to turn off after however many minutes of inactivity. (Turns out online gaming counts as inactivity).

After a call to the internet people, they got me sorted. Have you tried calling the company? And if they told you they wouldn't help, let us know?

mack
24-11-2006, 01:56 PM
All good points will look at them tonight, Many thanks.

shione83
24-11-2006, 05:19 PM
I have a similar problem tho i dont think i actually lose my connection as everything points to me being still connected but!....
if my pc is left idle for over half an hour or so (have never really timed it) when i come back to it i cannot access any internet pages nor will OE be able to find my server (Xtra)...only way to get back online seems to be to reboot my pc then away i go again... darned infuriating grrrrr!
i dont know if this is a pc fault...xtra fault or router fault..any one have any ideas on this?
am running XP
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
480MB Ram
Router is D-Link 504G

and as for xtra unleashing?? my connection has slowed down so much it aint funny...they say i am too far from the exchange...but no one can tell me where it is in Rotorua lol
Shione

Shortcircuit
24-11-2006, 05:27 PM
I had this problem long ago for maybe a month then it stopped until Xtra started these new plans (i didn't change my plan from the old adventure one), but it started happening again... more later in the evenings.

Someone suggested that it might be Zone Alarm the problem, so I re-installed and things sort of OK for a few weeks, now back to disconnecting during the day. Only option is to reboot computer which is a bit odd, resetting router does no good.

netchicken
25-11-2006, 07:13 AM
I've been there over the last few weeks.
My modem (cable) kept timing out, and a guy from clear came out twice to try and fix it.

Problems? It was overpowering, the signal to the modem was so strong that it killed it (well something like that). However that still didn't fix it, so the second time the guy cheked the connections, and found one that he replaced in the cable,

Works OK now.

If you have a motorola surfboard, you can check your modem by visiting this link

http://192.168.100.1/

and reboot it from there, I still have to do this one or 2 times a day.

Some good articles
http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?p=1934322

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=199691&page=2

The speed test the techie used

http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

hope this helps

Sweep
25-11-2006, 07:21 AM
On Xtra I get:-
Download Speed: 4269 kbps (533.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 124 kbps (15.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

mack
27-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Xtra 3 tests
Test 1.. download 1299 upload 130
Test 2.. download 1657 upload 132
Test 3..

Download Speed: 1141 kbps (142.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 130 kbps (16.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Think that the real problem is the PC itself ie hybrid/mongrel, bits and pieces from everywhere.

borax
27-11-2006, 02:19 PM
bandwidth tests are irrelevant to your problem

borax
27-11-2006, 02:23 PM
What sort of modem do you hve? Are you able to 'dial' into your modem to see its status? Are you losing the connection between your PC and the modem or between the modem and the outside world??

mack
27-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Modem is DSL-502T

Are you able to 'dial' into your modem to see its status?
Don't know, how to do that?

Are you losing the connection between your PC and the modem or between the modem and the outside world?? Losing the connection between the PC and the modem because the connection is ok between a laptop and the modem. Telephone line is OK and there are no monitored burglar alarms.

borax
27-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Modem is DSL-502T

Don't know, how to do that?
Losing the connection between the PC and the modem because the connection is ok between a laptop and the modem. Telephone line is OK and there are no monitored burglar alarms.

to see the status type either 10.1.1.1 or 10.1.1.2 (depending on your modem)into your internet explorer address bar (the bit where web sites address go), this should bring up a password box, user is admin password is admin. If, as you say, the modem is still connected when the internet dies then the prob is def. between yor PC and the modem. Find out the IP address of your modem (it is prob. one of the above) and when your internet dies ping the modem. To do this open a command window All programmes/accesories/command prompt. At the prompt type ping 10.1.1.1 or 10.1.1.2. If the ping times out this will prove the fault between modem and PC. Let me know

mack
28-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Got to this point
"To do this open a command window All programmes/accesories/command prompt." Have programmes/accesories but no apparent command
Could there be something else or similar to command?

borax
28-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Try this ... press start (bottom left) select 'Run, in the box that appears type 'cmd'. A black window should appear, that is the one you want

SolMiester
28-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Some router/modem have settings for connection period.
keep alive or,
connect on demand - max idle = etc

you could look there?!

mack
29-11-2006, 06:02 AM
Typed cmd into box but mesage came up "Cannot find the file etc".

Erayd
29-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Run sfc /scannow - cmd is a part of Windows and should not be missing. You will need to insert your windows installation disk during the process. What sfc does is to verify that all your important system files are in their correct location, and haven't been tampered with. If it finds any problems, the offending files are replaced with the correct versions.

mack
29-11-2006, 01:58 PM
sfc /scannow ran ok

mack
30-11-2006, 11:32 AM
What now?

borax
30-11-2006, 01:30 PM
try uninstalling and re-installing your network adaptor. Also you can try to repair your winsock entries, winsockfix.exe is good for that.

mack
13-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys, problem looks solved. New modem was required.

Davros
29-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi I'm new here and I found this thread via a google search. I'm having issues like this except at times my jetstream connection drops out several times a minute! I have a D-link modem, which i note is not as good as an ethernet one, but all the same this problem is new -- just the last week. Is it simply the heavy traffic at this time of the year when so many users are on the net? Even browsing has slowed right down to dial-up speed (and no, I haven't exceeded my GB limit for the month). Any suggestions would be appreciated.