PDA

View Full Version : Shortcut error for only one app

MopTop
22-11-2006, 11:08 AM
OS = Windows XP Pro SP2
Office XP = SP3

I'm running Access 97 and Office XP Pro (same cofiguration on two other machines with no issues).

Any shortcuts I have for Access XP (desktop or within files) all return the error message:
"Windows cannot find 'x'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then click Search."
then continues to open the file - which functions normally.

If I open the file directly within Access XP there is no error.
If I open (double click) a file from Windows Explorer there is no error.

Shortcuts for Access 97 and any other app or file all function correctly. This has not been an issue in the past, although I'm unsure what I have changed (if anything) since.

I believed this issue was related to upgrading to Windows Live Search from MSN Search and performed a System Restore (and undid the Restore and uninstalled the Search tools) but the issue remains.

It also appears to be a system wide issue, not my profile as the Administrator account also returns the same error.

I've made no changes to the file type settings for opening Access XP, and these seem to match the other machines settings.

A very frustrating issue....

SolMiester
22-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi, right click the shortcut, go to properties, then use the 'find target' to ensure it has the correct pathway to the application executable.

MopTop
22-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Yes - definitely right shortcut. As metnioned above, the file does open, just I get the error message Windows can't find the file - even though it already has!

SolMiester
22-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Sounds like you have messed up the registry then.....

The only way I know how to fix that is to uninstall the program and re0install to re-enter the correct registry entries!